Energy Reference Connoisseur Power needs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Energy Reference Connoisseur Power needs

titan7
11-14-2005, 02:03 AM
I just picked up a set of the RC-10s power rating is 30-175watts. I am running an 12 yr old Denon DRA-545R @ 60watts PC@ .05 THD. Is this adequate, I don't want to underpower the speakers and I heard that they would sound better with something on the order of 100 watts per channel? Should I get a new Denon or Yamaha 100watt per channel receiver?

Thanks!

kexodusc
11-14-2005, 04:33 AM
The Energy speakers will reach their true power handling capacity much lower than 175 watts.

60 watts is an aweful lot of power for efficient speakers like those. 100 watts won't make much difference, if any, but going to better electronics can. How loud do you run them? Good integrateds can be bought used for as little as $140 or so, if your receiver has pre-outs you can try adding an external power amp.

titan7
11-14-2005, 10:07 AM
I don't run them loud all the time. I just found out that with my old passive Boston Sub enclosure (8ohm) wired in parallel with the RC-10 (8ohm) will shut the amp off if I really crank it up, volume to say 10-11 o'clock for any extended period. Lot of heat from the amp. It ran wired this way with the Boston Satellites for 11 years, I guess the load was 4ohms.

The reason I am looking for more power is hoping to get a better bass response, but I think the answer my be the RC-50s?

With the BA sub enclosure it provides good bass response.

Another question lack of power cause the speakers to almost distort or does the smaller RC-10 just reach a limit when driven too hard? When I turn the sound up pretty loud it gets to a point where it's not really getting louder and the sound gets rough.

On the 100 watts, I though I would get a 3db gain by doubling the input power? So 60 to 100 watts will be something like 2 db gain so I will not hear it in volume? Will the speaker perform better?

thanks!

anamorphic96
11-14-2005, 10:32 AM
You never mentioned the Boston sub in your previous post. That kinda changes things. Do you have pre-outs on the receiver. Try looking into a used power amp. Amps have no moving parts and tend to be safe bets on the used markets and can save you a good deal of money.

If not look at an integrated amp from NAD, Rotel or Cambridge Audio. They can all drive 4ohm loads. What you need is an amp that can deliver more current. Most receivers are not that great at doing this.

titan7
11-14-2005, 11:22 AM
So the sub is taxing the entire system? I have a pre-out on the back of the Denon, the manual says it has 2 volt rated output. As for amps are you talking about something like a NAD C272 Stereo Power Amplifier? Those run about $700.00 Their C720BEE Stereo Receiver is only 50 wpc and costs $600.00.

I assume using the C272 would bipass the amp section in my denon 545r and give me 150 watts RMS to each channel. Is that going to make a difference?