Opinion on final choices [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on final choices

silcoxjh
11-13-2005, 05:09 PM
I am going to bite the bullet this Christmas and invest in a new home theater system. Forgive me for being a newbie as my only home theater experience is with a $300 JVC HTIB given to me as gift a few years back. I would like to see what everyone thinks of what I have narrowed my choices down too. I have done a fair amount of research and I think I am on the right track. I also have a few connectivity questions for what I can't quite figure out.
I am looking at the following:
*Sony 34" HDTV KV34HS420 with HDMI
*Either the Onkyo SR702 or JVC RX-D702 receiver
*Unknown DVD player (will be single disc progressive scan, maybe with HDMI?)
*Aperion Audio - Front L/R=532-LR
- Center = 533-VAC
- Surrounds = 534-SS
- Rear Surround = 532-LR
- Subwoofer = S8-APR
I guess my biggest unknown is the receiver and the DVD player. I see great reviews on the Onkyo, but it doesn't have HDMI. I am concerned about JVC quality, but it got a good review on CNET and it has Sirius capability to which I subscribe. Do I really need the HDMI? From what I read, it's the connection of the future. I would like this system to last for quite a while if possible, but I may be able to upgrade later on if my wife agrees. At this point I would like to spend less than $3000 and I think that's possible with what I have listed. Any and all opinions would be apprecaited. Thanks.

evil__betty
11-14-2005, 08:54 AM
I am going to bite the bullet this Christmas and invest in a new home theater system. Forgive me for being a newbie as my only home theater experience is with a $300 JVC HTIB given to me as gift a few years back. I would like to see what everyone thinks of what I have narrowed my choices down too. I have done a fair amount of research and I think I am on the right track. I also have a few connectivity questions for what I can't quite figure out.
I am looking at the following:
*Sony 34" HDTV KV34HS420 with HDMI
*Either the Onkyo SR702 or JVC RX-D702 receiver
*Unknown DVD player (will be single disc progressive scan, maybe with HDMI?)
*Aperion Audio - Front L/R=532-LR
- Center = 533-VAC
- Surrounds = 534-SS
- Rear Surround = 532-LR
- Subwoofer = S8-APR
I guess my biggest unknown is the receiver and the DVD player. I see great reviews on the Onkyo, but it doesn't have HDMI. I am concerned about JVC quality, but it got a good review on CNET and it has Sirius capability to which I subscribe. Do I really need the HDMI? From what I read, it's the connection of the future. I would like this system to last for quite a while if possible, but I may be able to upgrade later on if my wife agrees. At this point I would like to spend less than $3000 and I think that's possible with what I have listed. Any and all opinions would be apprecaited. Thanks.

Everything you picked out looks great with the exception of the JVC receiver. I am not really a fan of anything that JVC makes and I think that you will be better off with the Onkyo. On that note, the 702 will become discontinued in about a week and replaced by the 703 and there will also be an 803 that will have HDMI switching for about $200 (CAN) more. Onkyo already has them on their site, I believe. The new receivers will all come XM ready and fromthe 703 up, they will all be THX select certified. Note: The 803 will not upconvert to HDMI, only switch between them. Looks like your heading the right dicrection!

Happy Shopping!

silcoxjh
11-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the response. I took a look at the TX-SR803 and it looks like it has everything I want, especially two HDMI inputs. My only concern would be the price. I may be able to swing it as I am going to be buying these components over the next two months. Anyone have any thoughts on a DVD player that would complete this system?

evil__betty
11-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the response. I took a look at the TX-SR803 and it looks like it has everything I want, especially two HDMI inputs. My only concern would be the price. I may be able to swing it as I am going to be buying these components over the next two months. Anyone have any thoughts on a DVD player that would complete this system?
You could stick with Onkyo if you want matching components the DVCP702 is a nice 6-disc piece, but no HDMI - is that a must for you? If it is, then either Samsungs DVDHD850 isn't bad or LG's LDA531. Both are under $200 (CAN) and aren't that bad.

L.J.
11-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Unless Samsung has made some improvements, I'd think twice about going that route. I had the last year model(841 I think) and had nothing but problems with it. I went through 3 units and finally gave up on em.

silcoxjh
11-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I looked at the LDA531 and it appears to be a good product. According to the specifications, the only digital audio output is DTS. How does that relate to Dolby ouputs? Will the DVD player recognize and process Dolby Pro Logic IIx and all the "lesser" Dolby formats? Does what I just wrote make any sense? If I am getting the Onkyo TX-SR803, and it is THX Ultra2 certified, I would like to be able to take advantage of what is available sound-wise. Thanks for helping out on this!

EdwardGein
11-14-2005, 05:12 PM
You didn't state what room this is going. If it's going in your living room/family room buy a big screen widescreen HD Ready TV. You can get a 48" HD Mitsubishi for $1600 including delivery & installation. Your Tv is simply too small for any room other then a den or bedroom.

In regards to receiver, DVD player & speakers. You can get an excellent Denon 7.1 3801 receiver for around $400 used in very good or better condition on Ebay (retailed for $1200 new severasl years ago), Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player for $250 new online, Harmony Universal Remote 880 for around $175 new & a 676 for about $125 new & 5 orb audio satellite speakers & Supereight sub for $750 new.

silcoxjh
11-14-2005, 05:30 PM
As for the room, it will be going into an apartment living room. Not too large. Eventually, the system will be transferred to a 21' x 14' loft where I will have room for the 6.1 surround. As for the Denon 3801, I think I am looking for something with HDMI inputs. The Onkyo TX-SR803 appears to be my best bet with that as it has two in and one out. Thanks for the suggestions! I will research each one.

EdwardGein
11-14-2005, 07:19 PM
If you get a 34" set for your living room, you will totally regret it. You can get a really good 40-52" Widescreen HDTV for between $1000-$1600. I live in an apartment myself & my 30" widescreen TV for my bedroom isn't even big enough. My 48" one is perfect, about 10 feet from my couch. Good luck whatever you decide.

evil__betty
11-14-2005, 10:29 PM
However, that 34" Sony is a breath-taking tv when hooked up to HD and tweaked properly. You won't be disappointed with the picture, but maybe the size. Idea: get some cardboard and cut out what the physical dimentions of each tv and set them up where you will be watching them. That way you will be able to get a good idea of what route to take. But if you do go with a CRT projo, by all means, buy a Hitachi - best quality, hands down.

Happy Shopping

EdwardGein
11-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Don't agree with the guy who claims people who download for free are stealing from musicians- in alot of the cases the record company won't pay these guys royalties anyway, at least most not musicians pre 1990's, I think Mitsubishi rules for rear projection HD TV but his brand is probably good too. Anyway, I made the original mistake of replacing my 27" non HD TV in the bedroom with a 30" widescreen HD TV & while the picture is excellent, it's just too small & I'm hoping to get a 34" set if I can find one at a bargain base price- right now I have my eyes on a Panasonic CT-34WX15, if I can get it for $900 or less including delivery. I blew it, as I could have chanced something on Ebay for $650 used, but didn't see the listing till it was too late. Anyway, if the living room is the center of your place, surely you want your TV to be the cornerstone & a 34" one, no matter how good the picture, doesn't cut it there. If you had friends or family in to watch the Texas-USC game, do you really want to have all of you staring into a 34" Set instead of a 48" set?

evil__betty
11-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Don't agree with the guy who claims people who download for free are stealing from musicians.
You're a tool, buddy.

...but his brand is probably good too.
see above.

EdwardGein
11-15-2005, 01:19 AM
I produced at one time in my life some musicians/groups you in all likelyhood know, albeit my records were way after their prime, who were also my friends & I know for a fact these guys were ripped off by their record companies and don't see or barely see a dime in reissue sales. It sounds like you're a musician and you think that's my imagination? Almost all of the money taken in on reissued recordings from say the 50/60/70/80's goes in most cases to the record label and hardly any of it, unless the group was pretty famous and have a top rate accountant/lawyer, goes to members of the group. You think I'm making this up? One of my favorite true stories that I read on the internet by a very well known and regarded musician and producer, was, his record company put out several reissues and anthologies of his recordings, for which he didn't see a cent because they charged the new improved artwork and costs against his royalties.

In the case of current recordings by current musicians, yeah sure chances are they'd see some money for their labors but do you honestly believe this is the case of reissues of groups no longer in existence, etc? Believe it or not, I actually see & support your stance about free downloading taking money away from musicians, but only to the extent that we're talking about current artists not past ones.

accastil
11-16-2005, 10:12 PM
first of all, you dont need to spend too much to have a good set up..all you need to use are your eyes and ears. go for what unit makes you happy. heres my suggestion though:
for receivers, denon and yamahas sound the same. they are good in HT but weak in music listening. onkyos provide better bass punch than the first 2 but it is still not good enough. HK and Marantz would make you happy as you watch HT or even only when listening to stereo music. they provide better musicality and bass punch.
for the player, i suggest you go for the one with SACD or DVDA playback capability. good options would be philips, sony, panasonic. as for the speakers, try mordaunt short

silcoxjh
11-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I have narrowed it down to the following:
Sony 34" KV34HS420
Onkyo TX-SR803 - 2 HDMI inputs, THX
Panasonic DVD-S97S - 1 HDMI output
Aperion Audio 5.1 System
I realize that the tv seems small, but with the room it's going to be in for the near future, I don't have a lot of space. Once I build my house it's going to be a whole other story.