Speaker Wiring Question (Please) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Wiring Question (Please)

titan7
11-12-2005, 09:29 PM
I have a Denon DRA-540R 2 channel receiver 60watts per channel @ .05 THD, I had been running an 12 yr old set of Boston Sub Sat 6 IIs. Two Satellites and one Passive Sub with two 6.5" speaker (in the sub box). I have wired it run off speakers (A) so the right satellite and the right channel of the sub get wired to the Right - & + of channel A, the same method for the left channel. This is what the Mgf reccommends. My question is since these speakers are 8ohm, aren't I dropping the load to 4ohms since I have 2 speakers running on each channel? Is this the right way to do it or should I wire the Satillites to speaker (A) and the Sub to Speakers (B). If I am correct that will split the power of the amp to 30 WPC x 4 instead of 60x2? Since my sats died I purchased some Energy RC-10s (8ohms) I wired the same way, is this the best way?

thanks!!

MikeyBC
11-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Basically your just bypassing the speaker B switch by connecting both sets to the same terminals..which is probably a good thing (dont want signals going through cheap switches) just be sure your connection is tight. and yes your amp will be seeing approximately a 4 ohm load though it will vary quite widely with frequency. (different speakers have different impedances at different frequencies). With your new speakers keep an eye on the temperature of your amp for a while...they may have a dip in impedance that coincides with a dip in your subs impedance and drop the value below 4 ohms. Also more power will go to the more efficient speaker so technically it wont be 30x4

titan7
11-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks MikeyBC,

The temp of the AMP seems to be what it was while I was using the 8ohm Bostons. If there is a possiblity of hurting the AMP is there an other option? Maybe a powered sub? I assume from your post than using the A+B speakers = a 4 ohm load if the speakers involved are at 8ohms. I was wondering if now would be a good time to change amps too. My 11 1/2 yr old Denon works fine but there is no option for a sub out. I was also thinking of getting a AV receiver like a Denon 3805. It has 120 watts per channel. I am concerned that the 60WPC is too light for these speakers that are rated 30-175. Any suggestions?

thanks!

MikeyBC
11-17-2005, 04:59 PM
If a home theater is in your future then a new A/V reciever would be the way to go...your speakers would probably appreciate the extra power and probably sound cleaner and tighter in the bass. A powered sub would also help ease the load on the amp, though you should be safe running your amp the way it is, the Denons are pretty well designed

If home theater is not in your future i'd recommend a good quality integrated amp, this or seperates would be best for 2 channel music.

If you have a smallish listening room try listening to the speakers by themsleves sometime...you may find the passive sub getting in the way. Sometimes I hook my Paradigm Micros up to my system for a couple hours just to see what they can do on their own..i can still enjoy the music and it makes me realize that bass isnt everything. Experimenting is what makes all this so much fun.

titan7
11-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks again, you have been helpful.

I am not sure I will go HT or not. I would love to add a powered sub but I don't think I can hook that up to a 2 channel stereo receiver, my receiver has no sub out. I did disconnect the passive sub but I lose a lot of bass. Not sure what to do at this point.

PAT.P
11-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks again, you have been helpful.

I am not sure I will go HT or not. I would love to add a powered sub but I don't think I can hook that up to a 2 channel stereo receiver, my receiver has no sub out. I did disconnect the passive sub but I lose a lot of bass. Not sure what to do at this point.You dont need a sub out from a 2 channel.There is a few way to hook up.

titan7
11-17-2005, 10:04 PM
You dont need a sub out from a 2 channel.There is a few way to hook up.

How could I do that?

PAT.P
11-17-2005, 10:25 PM
How could I do that?1)You could use Tape Monitor out 2)speaker wire from receiver to the power sub ,from sub to speaker .3)On another of my 2 channel receiver I have a EQ seperate I bought its 31 band stereo Behringer that as hook up for sub and you set crossover.

MikeyBC
11-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Axiom subs like the one in the banners on this page and many others have high level inputs...you just hook your speaker wires to it instead of low level RCA's. Woops...just noticed the banners seem to change randomly in here.

MikeyBC
11-17-2005, 10:57 PM
I just read in another one of your posts that your reciever has pre-outs, you should be able to just use those and let the subs internal crossover handle the rest...sub out is the same as pre-out except the signal is already filtered as it leaves the reciever.

titan7
11-17-2005, 11:32 PM
I just read in another one of your posts that your reviecer has pre-outs, you should be able to just use those and let the subs internal crossover handle the rest...sub out is the same as pre-out except the signal is already filtered as it leaves the reciever.

Yep, it has pre-outs. Ok I am not too up to speed on this stuff.

So if I connect a powered sub to the pre-outs on my receiver via RCA cables sound will come out of the sub without using the speaker wire connections? Will doing this bring the speaker load back to 8ohms since only the Energy RC-10s will be connected at the high level connections?

I think that would be the best route to go, I can pick up one of those Veledyne (sp) 8" 1000watt powered subs.

MikeyBC
11-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Yup...connect sub using pre-out via RCA's and wire the energy's to reciever normally giving it a nice easy 8 ohm load to drive.

Enjoy!

titan7
11-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Yup...connect sub using pre-out via RCA's and wire the energy's to reciever normally giving it a nice easy 8 ohm load to drive.

Enjoy!

Thanks to all of you!