Help with front main speaker selection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with front main speaker selection

Justinian
11-12-2005, 02:30 PM
A newbie needs help from someone who knows their audio stuff:
I am looking for a front left and right main speaker to match with my present system. I have all Mirage Omnipolar speakers: one Omni S-8 subwoofer (100 W continuous to 400W), two Omnisat Micro surrounds (100W each), and an Omni CC-1 Center Channel (150 W), powered by a Yamaha RX-V657 receiver (95W x7).

Can some of you audio enthusiasts recommend a speaker model that would match with the Mirage? I mean, I can purchase another Mirage but I wanted to mix it up a bit. So far, I am looking at these models, although I have no idea if they are compatible at all with Mirage:

Infinity Primus 250 or 360
Infinity Beta 20
Cerwin Vega CLSC-10 or V-5M bookshelf
Ascend Acoustics - HTM-200 or CBM-170
JBL Northridge E Series

Any comments about these models w/ Mirage? (The Ascend Acoustics and Cerwin Vega look great for the price, and Ascend Acoustics received a 5/5 review from users on this forum.)

Also, do I have enough power in my receiver to run the Infinity Primus 360 which handles up to 200 W? My receiver has 95W x 7. Does that mean it can handle up to 665 Watts or am I misunderstanding something here? THANKS!

PAT.P
11-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Your main speakers should match your centre as close as possible(timbre match)I would stick with the Mirage .As for your Yamaha dont see any problem ,mine is feeding 2 set of towers,2 sub,2 front pressence and 2 surround.Basically I have almost the same receiver like you .

Justinian
11-13-2005, 08:09 AM
What happens when you try to mix and match different speakers? How might Ascend Acoustics or Energy speakers affect the sound with the Mirage Omni's? Does anyone else have some thoughts about this? Thanks.

eisforelectronic
11-13-2005, 12:00 PM
A newbie needs help from someone who knows their audio stuff:
I am looking for a front left and right main speaker to match with my present system. I have all Mirage Omnipolar speakers: one Omni S-8 subwoofer (100 W continuous to 400W), two Omnisat Micro surrounds (100W each), and an Omni CC-1 Center Channel (150 W), powered by a Yamaha RX-V657 receiver (95W x7).

Can some of you audio enthusiasts recommend a speaker model that would match with the Mirage? I mean, I can purchase another Mirage but I wanted to mix it up a bit. So far, I am looking at these models, although I have no idea if they are compatible at all with Mirage:

Infinity Primus 250 or 360
Infinity Beta 20
Cerwin Vega CLSC-10 or V-5M bookshelf
Ascend Acoustics - HTM-200 or CBM-170
JBL Northridge E Series

Any comments about these models w/ Mirage? (The Ascend Acoustics and Cerwin Vega look great for the price, and Ascend Acoustics received a 5/5 review from users on this forum.)

Also, do I have enough power in my receiver to run the Infinity Primus 360 which handles up to 200 W? My receiver has 95W x 7. Does that mean it can handle up to 665 Watts or am I misunderstanding something here? THANKS!

How does that Mirage center sound?

Justinian
11-13-2005, 02:34 PM
It actually sounds great - clear, crisp music and movie dialogue. I am happy w/ it. I will probably go w/ Mirage Omni 60 bookshelves for the front mains, and upgrade the subwoofer. The 8" Omni just isn't doing it and this is a pretty small room.