Best match for Klipsch Reference System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best match for Klipsch Reference System

Gimes
11-11-2005, 11:37 PM
I'm interested to know what you guys think would be a good match for my speaker set:

Fronts: Klipsch RF-5s
Center: Klipsch RC-7
Rears: Klipsch RS-7s
Sub: Klipsch RSW-10

I'm interested in powering them with something other than a receiver, and want to continue using them for both 2-channel audio as well as 6-channel HT. I've looked at Rotel, Marantz, Musical Fidelity, Denon, etc. I also want to continue using my turntable.

At this point, its all a discovery stage and I would appreciate any and all opinions. I took a look at the Aragons on the Klipsch website, but those seem to be a little more than I'd need. What wattage per channel should I be targeting? Amp and power amp combo? Or high end receiver like the Marantz SR8500? I guess I'll reserve other questions until after some replies, if there are any.

Thanks!

RGA
11-12-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure I follow -- you have a surround sound receiver now? If so keep it and usit for movies.

If you want to try the 2 channel market rather than buying another Solid State amp I would try a tube amp such as the Antique Sound Labs AQ1003DT or the Jolida 302b. The 1003 comes with a remote and sub out and is a very nice sounding unit.

IMO one of the big reasons to own horn speakers is so that you can take advantage of tube amplification. These amps will easily drive the Klipsch speaker.

You will need however to buy a phono stage separately -- Radio Shack or now the Source should have a phono stage for cheap -- the Little Rat is very good for about $40.00.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1204/aslaq1003dt.htm
their other amps some are less priceyhttp://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html

Gimes
11-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Ok, I'll take a look at some tube amps, although I admittedly know very little about them.

Yeah I have a surround receiver right now, but its old and only provides 40W per channel. When I was only running my fronts (RF-5s) out of it, it seemed just fine. Since I've added the rest of the system though, I'm unhappy with it. That's kind of why I'm posting about it in the first place. I'm simply asking what some of you think match up well with the Klipsch.

I'd really appreciate more info, guys.

Greekguy
11-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Hey Gimes, it sounds to me like since adding the surround speakers, your system doesn't sound as balanced. Part of that is probably because the RF-5s have much higher efficiency ratings than the surrounds, Klipsch front speakers tend to have very high efficiency.

The other thing is, one unfortunate caveat with receivers is that the x number of watts per channel rating is not usually an all channels driven rating, so aside from the front channels, the rest of the speakers probably aren't getting the amount of power that the fronts are. Granted, with Klipsch, this shouldn't be a very big problem.

Overall I'd say just keep tinkering with the speaker placement until you find a good balance.

GMichael
11-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Ok, I'll take a look at some tube amps, although I admittedly know very little about them.

Yeah I have a surround receiver right now, but its old and only provides 40W per channel. When I was only running my fronts (RF-5s) out of it, it seemed just fine. Since I've added the rest of the system though, I'm unhappy with it. That's kind of why I'm posting about it in the first place. I'm simply asking what some of you think match up well with the Klipsch.

I'd really appreciate more info, guys.

Does your receiver have pre-outs? If so, you can keep it for HT while adding a 2 channel amp to drive your mains. This should give you better sound for both. Not as much sound is sent to the surrounds as your mains. The 40wpc you have now should be plenty.

Gimes
11-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the pre-out tip, I'll keep that in mind for sure.

I know the Klipsch are efficient, and I also know how to tweak the settings on my current receiver to match up with my gear, but I guess my question is not worded very well. I'm not interested much in continuing to use my existing receiver, as I have other plans for it. So I'll re-phrase:

If you had the speakers that I have, and needed the gear to run it, what would you look at? Or what do you think would match well?

Woochifer
11-14-2005, 05:07 PM
That would all depend on your system budget. Anything below $2,000, forget about going with full multichannel separates. At that price point, you should think about a decent midlevel receiver and on outboard two or three-channel amplifier. Once you get down to around $1,400 or so, then your primary options are mostly receivers.

By my reading of your post, I assume that you don't have a 5.1 receiver currently, or do you? If you're not currently using a receiver with Dolby Digital and DTS, then having that decoding capability on board is your first priority. 5.1 DVDs without 2.0 Dolby Surround (Pro Logic compatible) soundtracks on board generally do not work well with older Dolby Surround/Pro Logic decoders because the mixes were done for 5.1 playback and not monitored for how they might sound with Pro Logic decoders.

Gimes
11-14-2005, 07:42 PM
OK, so if the budget was over $2,000, lets say up to $6,000, what separates might match well?

In addition to a midlevel receiver, how would a 2 or 3-channel amp be used? Upgrade a 5-channel receiver to a 7-channel?

I'm really pretty open, as far as budget is concerned. I'd be OK with spending several grand, if I knew I was getting gear that I wouldn't be replacing any time soon. But I'd also be just fine spending less if I knew that my system was being utilized well.

Pat
11-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Over at the Klipsch Forum a lot of guys like B&K & Rotel, $6000.00 opens the doors to many, many other brands.