Deep Discount DVD 20% sale... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Deep Discount DVD 20% sale...

N. Abstentia
11-11-2005, 06:51 PM
is going on now! www.deepdiscountdvd.com coupon code DVDTALK

All the prices you see include shipping also. I ordered a few box sets I've been wanting (Star Wars Trilogy for $35...Looney Tunes for $35), and did some Xmas shopping :)

Hint though...go to amazon or somewhere to find what you want then type the name in the DDD search box...their website is not very organized, but at those prices who cares :cool:

N. Abstentia
11-11-2005, 06:55 PM
That should be 20% OFF sale.

L.J.
11-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Yep, I picked up 4 titles yesterday.

By the way, the DVDTALK discount code can only be used once. There are other codes though.

robert393
11-12-2005, 03:06 PM
is going on now! www.deepdiscountdvd.com coupon code DVDTALK

All the prices you see include shipping also. I ordered a few box sets I've been wanting (Star Wars Trilogy for $35...Looney Tunes for $35), and did some Xmas shopping :)

Hint though...go to amazon or somewhere to find what you want then type the name in the DDD search box...their website is not very organized, but at those prices who cares :cool:

With HD DVD hitting the streets in the next few months, you will see the prices plummet on 480i DVD. I saw many DVD's priced at $1 at Wal-Mart last week!

Robert

N. Abstentia
11-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Well I doubt I would be able to get the Star Wars Trilogy or the Looney Tunes collections for $1.

I also don't care to wait a few years to see if maybe they might come out on some future format that won't even work on any of my DVD players. For now, 480p DVD is the way to go!

L.J.
11-12-2005, 03:44 PM
yeah I'm kinda wary about the new formats myself. I'm gonna sit back and wait to see if thing catches on. I do see a PS3 in my future though.

robert393
11-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Well I doubt I would be able to get the Star Wars Trilogy or the Looney Tunes collections for $1.

What I said was that the prices will continue to plummet with the proliferation of High Definition DVD.

For now, 480p DVD is the way to go!
Yep, but HD DVD will be here in a few months, then you can watch DVD with 2x the resolution of 480p!

The point being, prices will continue to plummet on 480i DVD's. That is very good news for those people that are perfectly happy with that resolution or not capable of reproducing HD signals.

Interesting read regarding the differences between 480p & true HD. Compares the differences between 480p & true HD, to the visual differences between VCR & DVD.
"The best analogy is the the comparision of 480p to HDTV to the comparison of the inferior video quality VHS to that of DVD. Or, putting it another way, VHS has half the resolution of DVD and DVD is half the resolution of HDTV."
Read the entire article here:
http://hometheater.about.com/cs/television/a/aafoxhdtv03a.htm

Robert

N. Abstentia
11-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Well the first thing they need to do is decide whether it's going to be Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Until then, neither one will get much of a market penetration.

If the price of current DVD's does in fact plummet, that's super for DVD...but death for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. When a movie is available on DVD for $10 that works on all existing players, or HD-DVD for $25 that requires a new $400 player, which one is Joe Sixpack going to support?

robert393
11-12-2005, 06:28 PM
If the price of current DVD's does in fact plummet, that's super for DVD...but death for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.
The prices are plummeting in anticipation of HD DVD. Compare it to the lowering of VCR prices when DVD hit the market. I don't think the low prices of VCR tapes kept people from buying $25 DVD's because of the superior PICTURE QUALITY of DVD when compared to VCR. And the lowering of VCR tape prices certainly didn't spell death for DVD!

Now with HD DVD hitting the streets in a few months, the savvy consumer is holding off buying outdated DVD technology in anticipation of getting HD (with 2x the resolution of 480p)!

When a movie is available on DVD for $10 that works on all existing players, or HD-DVD for $25 that requires a new $400 player, which one is Joe Sixpack going to support?

Joe Sixpack is probably still holding onto his VCR collection and is perfectly happy with the PQ it provides...lol!

Seriously though, the true videophile will not hesitate to embrace a technology the provides 2x the resolution of 480p, and $25 per movie and $400 for a new DVDP is "chump-change" to a person that has $30-100k invested in their dedicated HT. Remember, PQ is EVERYTHING, and HD is the ony way to go!

And besides, anybody with any clue at all about HT is not buying a monitor that doesn't have the ability to reproduce true HD! HD is here to stay!~

But, thanks for the info regarding the hugh slash in DVD prices. But, I'm not buying ANY new DVD's with HD DVD hitting the streets in the next few months. After watching HD programming almost exclusively now for the last year or so, I found I can't stand to watch the DVD's I have now because of the inferior PQ of 480p when compared to true HD!

Enjoy your DVD's, and stock up while the prices continue to plummet!

Robert

N. Abstentia
11-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Oh I do agree with most of that, trust me. I'm just making the points that:

1) These people need to decide which format is going to be 'the one'. Yes, like you said, videophiles will embrace either one. Problem with that is, videophiles make up 2% of the people that shop at Walmart/Bestbuy/Blockbuster video. Joe Sixpack will fail to see why he should pay 3 times as much for a product that will perform the same as a regular DVD on his $500 TV.

2) There is a point of diminishing returns here on picture quality. Yes I realize it will look better than DVD, but how much better? There is, like you said, a huge step from VHS to DVD....however there has to be a ceiling here, so where is it? I fail to see where 1080i is 3 times better than 480p (yes it's better..but not night/day, lets face it) so how much better than 1080i can HD-DVD be? And the main thing...will it look that much better on the current installed base of consumer television sets?

3) Back to the videophiles, yes videophiles will fully embrace it. I will also eventually, so don't think I'm against this..I'm just bringing up points here. Anyway, yes videophiles will love it. Then again, audiophiles are embracing SACD, DVD-A, and Vinyl....me included. Where are they? WalMart? Nope. Best Buy? I saw 3 SACD titles the last time I was there. I have to drive over an hour to get to a record store that carries DVD-A/SACD's, and they always have the same ones. They don't sell, and they don't order new.

So, videophiles are not going to cut it. They HAVE to decide on a format, and they HAVE to sell it to Joe Sixpack. Let's not forget...Blockbuster video did not buy into DVD until a few years ago. Of course that's their own stupidity, but they do represent Joe Sixpack...sadly enough.

robert393
11-13-2005, 05:57 AM
2) There is a point of diminishing returns here on picture quality. Yes I realize it will look better than DVD, but how much better? There is, like you said, a huge step from VHS to DVD....however there has to be a ceiling here, so where is it? I fail to see where 1080i is 3 times better than 480p (yes it's better..but not night/day, lets face it)
What I actually said was the difference between DVD & true HD can be compared to the difference between VCR & DVD. The difference between 480p and true HD IS NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE! As much so as VHS when compared to DVD. If you fail to see that, then good for you. You should be very happy with 480 resolution from now on! Let's face it, some people fail to see the difference between VCR tape and DVD, so they have kept their VCR collection. To them the "ceiling" has been met.

Yes, their will be a ceiling, but what the ceiling is and when it will come are unknown. But be assured we are no where close to that ceiling. If I were guessing, I would say holographic imaging will be the next new technology.

so how much better than 1080i can HD-DVD be?
I think you may be confused because HD-DVD will be 1080i source material. The ability to convert that signal to 1080p will be dependant upon the DVDP and the limitations of the monitor.

3) Back to the videophiles, yes videophiles will fully embrace it. I will also eventually, so don't think I'm against this..I'm just bringing up points here. Anyway, yes videophiles will love it. Then again, audiophiles are embracing SACD, DVD-A, and Vinyl....me included. Where are they? WalMart? Nope. Best Buy? I saw 3 SACD titles the last time I was there.
IMO trying to compare SACD or DVD-A market penetration to HIgh Definition DVD is not a fair comparison. Most music listening is done not in the home, but in the vehicle. No low cost method of adapting SACD or DVD-A to the car exist. Yes, their are a couple of players, but it is a very complicated install that includes the installation of a center channel. For home use of DVD-A or SACD, the solution is much easier, but then again, who sits in thier THEATER room to listen to music? Well, I do, but 98% of the time I'm watching a video source.......
High Definition DVD will thrive. No doubt about it. HD is here to stay, and the visual difference between DVD & HD is NIGHT & DAY.
btw, the Best Buys in the DFW area of Texas have HUGH selections of DVD-A as well as SACD. In fact they carry ALL the available titles.

All this has gotten a little off subject, but interesting none the less. Back to subject though........Thanks for the info regarding the HUGH slashing of DVD pricing that has started in anticipation of High Definition DVD hitting the market in the next few months!

Robert

N. Abstentia
11-13-2005, 08:47 AM
All this has gotten a little off subject, but interesting none the less. Back to subject though........Thanks for the info regarding the HUGH slashing of DVD pricing that has started in anticipation of High Definition DVD hitting the market in the next few months!

Robert

Well, just to be fair...it's not really a price slashing. It's a 20% of sale that they do twice a year and they have been doing that ever since they day they starting selling DVD's. It's kind of a special event that a lot of people wait for which is why I let everybody know that it started. The sale will be over next week and prices will go back up.

robert393
11-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Well, just to be fair...it's not really a price slashing.
20% off with Free shipping..........sounds like a pretty big price slash to me. I say STOCK UP!~
Robert

N. Abstentia
11-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Okay then yes, it's a price slashing. Prices are slashed. However prices are not being slashed because of a new format coming down the road in a year or two as you implied. It's an annual sale.

But I hope you are right...I hope DVD's do come down to $1 each! Of course then there would be no reason to shell out $30 for an HD-DVD...so maybe you'd better not wish for that after all :)

robert393
11-13-2005, 12:25 PM
However prices are not being slashed because of a new format coming down the road in a year or two as you implied.

I never implied a new format in a year or two. What I said was a FEW MONTHS. High Definition DVD will be "on the shelves" before next summer.

But I hope you are right...I hope DVD's do come down to $1 each! Many shelves of titles are ALREADY $1 at Wal-Mart.

Of course then there would be no reason to shell out $30 for an HD-DVD.
The reason I will "shell out $30 for an HD-DVD" will be because....IT'S HD ....LOL@!!! In case you haven't been listening, HD DVD is 2x the resolution of the 480p DVD!!!!! Personally, I wouldn't pay $1 for ANY DVD because HD DVD will be here in a few months. Like I already said, I can't stand to watch the DVD collection I have now because it is inferior 480p. I'm used to watching nothing but HD.

Anyway, thanks again for the info regarding the DVD sale.

It's Sunday and I'm going to watch the NFL in HD........all-day-long & then ESPN HD tonight! Hope everyone else is enjoying the NFL in HD today too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, N. Abstentia, I know you will have to respond, because you ALWAYS have to have the last word......lol! When your writing your response just think for a moment how AWESOME the NFL must look in HD!

Robert

N. Abstentia
11-13-2005, 12:38 PM
btw, N. Abstentia, I know you will have to respond, because you ALWAYS have to have the last word......lol! When your writing your response just think for a moment how AWESOME the NFL must look in HD!

Robert

If I were a football fan I might care.

Anyway, I'm too busy marveling at how good my non-inwall speakers sound! I'm getting 2x the soundstage than you can get from an inwall. Personally, I wouldn't pay $1 for inwall speakers.

I saw those awesome $1 Walmart DVD's by the way...they are all public domain stuff. I didn't see any 'HD-DVDs'. Have fun waiting 2-3 years to buy the movies I'm enjoying in 480p right now! How cool you'll be when you are the first one on the block to own Star Wars Ep. 3 on HD-DVD! Too bad it will be 2 years old by then. I've watched it 3 times already.

:)

Eric Z
11-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks for looping everyone in on the 20% sale, NA!

Interesting conversation regarding HD DVDs again- I always find it entertaining. I don't think many people at all will be buying into it right away- similar to when DVDs hit the market; the average Joe wasn't getting into DVDs right off the bat. Once DVDs became more mainstream (more affordable), it spread like wildfire though. Some people really really care about the 2x the resolution, however, the majority of the world doesn't give a crap. When I talk to a non-audio/videofile type person, they don't even know about a new format coming out. Or if they know about it, they don't care because they're 100% pleased with standard DVDs.

Also, we have to remember, to take advantage of the HD DVD, you need an HDTV, right? Even though HDTVs are much cheaper and in a lot more households compared to last year, SDTVs are still in a great great majority of homes.

Also, I don't see people replacing their DVD collections anytime soon- talk about costing a pretty penny. If anything, the average consumer will increase their DVD collection because of the lower prices.

It will be interesting to see what happens once the new format is rolled out- there's going to need to be some very clever marketing and pricing to move them quickly to the non-audio/videofile.

Nice discussion!
Eric

N. Abstentia
11-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Good points Eric. I'd love to see HD-DVD (or BluRay) come out at prices that are half of what the DVD is. That's how they will get an installed base. Will it happen? Probably not. It will more than likely be the other way around and HD-DVD will be niche product just like DVD-A.

I'm also assuming that HD-DVD will hold more data, correct? So that might actually make things cheaper. Instead of The Simpsons being on 4 DVD's maybe it will come out on a single HD-DVD and cost less.

robert393
11-13-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm getting 2x the soundstage than you can get from an inwall.

Dude, if I remember correctly you have Paradigm Speakers. You got POWERED BOOKSHELFS all the way around. I wouldn't be talking too much about other peoples speakers....lol!!

Like I said, thanks for the info regarding the plummeting prices on DVD. I'm watching HD though.....you got it?
Robert

N. Abstentia
11-13-2005, 02:21 PM
You obviously know nothing about speakers. If you knew anything about MY speakers you'd be drooling just thinking about them.

Take the best sounding full range bookshelf you can think of, then add FOUR top quality amps and an active crossover to them. There you have my speakers. How many setups have you seen with FOUR dedicated amps, custom built for the speakers they are mated with...one for each tweeter and one for each set of woofers, seperated by an electronic crossover with no caps or coils in the equation?

Pretty sad your only arguement is to bash a speaker design, which you know nothing about.

Stick to your HD-DVD's...whenever they come out...and leave the audio side to us audio guys.

robert393
11-13-2005, 03:52 PM
You obviously know nothing about speakers. If you knew anything about MY speakers you'd be drooling just thinking about them.

POWERED BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS.....that pretty much says it all....lol!

btw, this is the HOME THEATER forum. Who would actually build a HOME THEATER that can't support HD????????//

Dude, if I had to live here, I would need some strong anti-depressants....forget the fact that I have crappy bookshelf speakers, and no ability to have HD. I would probably want to shot myself everytime I pulled in the driveway and had to walk into this (house?).
http://www.chuckamuck.com/ht/0708s.jpg

Robert

N. Abstentia
11-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Please don't let the fact that you have crappy speakers stop you from shooting yourself. Please go ahead and do us all a favor. Maybe the scumbag that shot the guy in your avatar will help us out and shoot you in the face also?

How many dedicated amplifiers do you have for your inwall speakers? Oh, I thought not. Maybe someday you'll be able to afford them. It must burn your ass to know that I actually BUILT a dedicated room designed for audio/video from the ground up while all you could do was throw some equipment in your living room. Must suck to be you.

And why would I be worried about having HD in a THEATER ROOM? How many DVD's that are out are 1080p? How many movies are shown in theaters at 1080p?

You're clearly out of your league here (resorting to personal attacks when backed into a corner) so I suggest you just give it up. I'd hate to see you banned.

robert393
11-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Please don't let the fact that you have crappy speakers stop you from shooting yourself. Please go ahead and do us all a favor. Maybe the scumbag that shot the guy in your avatar will help us out and shoot you in the face also?

How many dedicated amplifiers do you have for your inwall speakers? Oh, I thought not. Maybe someday you'll be able to afford them. It must burn your ass to know that I actually BUILT a dedicated room designed for audio/video from the ground up while all you could do was throw some equipment in your living room. Must suck to be you.

And why would I be worried about having HD in a THEATER ROOM? How many DVD's that are out are 1080p? How many movies are shown in theaters at 1080p?

You're clearly out of your league here (resorting to personal attacks when backed into a corner) so I suggest you just give it up. I'd hate to see you banned.
Seems I hit a nerve. Now, SHHHHHHHHHhhhh.........unruffle your feathers. Time to go nite-nite N. Abstentia

N. Abstentia
11-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Hey, I thought I told you to give it up. Now go on...GET.

I also notice that you have floor standing speakers...with subwoofers BUILT IN?!?!? Whaaaaaaa???? How can you turn your nose up at a speaker that has 4 dedicated custom amps built in, then go and get speakers with built in subs????? I'll bet you think those sound good, too. Poor guy.

Now go away. You lost any credibility you might have had at around post #15.

robert393
11-13-2005, 06:02 PM
You lost any credibility you might have had at around post #15.

You lost any credibility when claimed this to be your (house?)....lol! My dedicated HT alone probably has more square footage.....and brick....lol! I bet your place is very popular during Halloween. Stick a couple of your BOOKSHELF speakers in the windows and play some scary music, and you could charge an admission and advertise as a Haunted House! Do you have electricity in that (house?) or do you burn wood for fire and lite candles for lighting?
http://www.chuckamuck.com/ht/0708s.jpg

N. Abstentia, you have slung quite a bit of mud, but don't like it when it comes back to you. Sometimes when you mess with the bull, you get the horns! If you can't be civil here, you may want to stick with the audio forum? After all, this IS the HT forum, and let's face it, you're not even able to reproduce HD!

You want to quit this foolishness.........or shall we continue?
Like I have said, thanks for the info regarding the DVD sale. Now, why don't we leave it at that?

Robert

N. Abstentia
11-13-2005, 06:38 PM
I left it at that 10 posts ago, you just seem to like to resort to personal attacks when your viewpoint is proven wrong. You called down the thunder and you got it. If you can't handle it then yes..we will leave it at that.

I'm sorry the back of my house offends you. Do you not like the dirt everywhere? Guess what..you dig a big hole for a 600 square foot theater room and you get..DIRT EVERYWHERE. Do you not like the back door? What? The back yard piss you off for some reason?

robert393
11-13-2005, 07:10 PM
I left it at that 10 posts ago, you just seem to like to resort to personal attacks when your viewpoint is proven wrong. You called down the thunder and you got it. If you can't handle it then yes..we will leave it at that.

I'm sorry the back of my house offends you. Do you not like the dirt everywhere? Guess what..you dig a big hole for a 600 square foot theater room and you get..DIRT EVERYWHERE. Do you not like the back door? What? The back yard piss you off for some reason?
Proved me wrong about what? That 480p looks just as good as HD?? You got to be kidding...lol!!
Your house just reminds me of an abandoned crack house I remember seeing in a news article a couple months ago........sorry you have to live there.

http://www.chuckamuck.com/ht/0706s.jpg
Now, shall we continue? I'm willing to quit.....are you?
Robert

N. Abstentia
11-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Well I'm glad you're finally ready to give up. About time. I still don't understand why you have a problem with the back of my house? Makes no sense at all to me. You've obviously never seen a crack house. How many crack houses have a $40,000 theater room? Do you think I'm 'trash' because I don't live in a mansion? Are you a bigot? Racist? Communist? Where are the pictures of your house?

Just one more question, and please just answer it without being an ass..if you can do that.

You've said in this thread that DVD quality is poor, crappy, you turn your nose up at it. You can't stand it, it's useless.

So....what do you watch in your theater room? NBC HD? That's fine, but the movies suck. You said you wouldn't lower yourself to watch a DVD, so what do you watch?

robert393
11-14-2005, 04:22 AM
How many crack houses have a $40,000 theater room?
Dude, were not talking about the cost to replace your ENTIRE HOUSE (40k)! When people talk about the cost of a HT, they are talking about the EQUIPMENT. The cost to replace your HT EQUIPMENT wouldn't exceed 3-5k.

Where are the pictures of your house?
You gotta be kidding! You see anybody else putting up pictures of their house on a forum? Only a FOOL would put up pictures of their house when it looks like this!
http://www.chuckamuck.com/ht/0706s.jpg
Tell you what though, I'll put up pics of my backyard in the next day or so.....

You've said in this thread that DVD quality is poor, crappy, you turn your nose up at it. You can't stand it, it's useless.
If you are going to quote me, then get it right. What I said in Post # 9
After watching HD programming almost exclusively now for the last year or so, I found I can't stand to watch the DVD's I have now because of the inferior PQ of 480p when compared to true HD! I never said it's "useless" or that I "turn my nose up to it". Quite simply stated, 480p is inferior PQ when compared to true HD. That is NOT an opinion, but a fact. HD is 2x the Picture Quality. Get it right if you are going to quote.

So....what do you watch in your theater room? NBC HD? That's fine, but the movies suck.

Dude, if you think ANYBODY is watching Network MOVIES, you're way out of touch with what HD is really all about! As I said, about 99% of my viewing is HD. As ANYBODY that watches HD will tell you, you get used to it pretty quick and then even 480p looks pretty "weak" in comparison. Remember, HD is 2x the resolution of 480p. As I previously stated, the difference in picture quality between 480p & HD can be compared to the picture quality between VCR tape & DVD. The difference is HUGE!

HD programming is now very previlant, with a pletrara of HD available. My viewing is eclectic at best. With an excess of 20 HD channels, combined with two HD DVR's (with a total of 50hrs of HD recording available), and DISH NETWORK, and a 65" HD (1080i) Mitsubishi in my bedroom, I pretty much "pic-n-choose" which HD program I want to watch and (with the use of the HD DVR's) WHEN I want watch them!

HD channels available to me & some of the HD highlights of each:
ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX: Almost ALL Primetime viewing is in HD, and FREE:
Some of my favorites: CSI (all 3-series), NCIS, Law & Order, Medium, Numbers, Criminal Intent, Killer Instinct, Las Vegas, Two & Half Men, King of Queens, My Name is Earl, According to Jim, Monday Night Football, The Tonite Show, Late Nite with Conan.

HBO-HD, SHOTIME-HD, HDNMV, GUYTV, MAJESTIC, MONSTER: Movies 24hrs/7days a week. All commercial free, HD, and uncut. Today's HD Line-up (http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=63672)

In addition I have TNT-HD, DISCOVERY-HD, HDNET, ESPN-HD.

Additional VOOM HD Channels: RAVE, EQUATOR, GALLERY, ANIMIA, RUSH, ULTRA, & HDNEWS.
That's more than 20 HD channels to choose from, with 11 more VOOM channels coming in 1st Quarter 2006. So what do I watch? Well, with so much to choose from I actually never watch a program "live", but record a multitude of HD programming each day (with the use of the 2-HD DVR's w/50hrs of HD recording available), the I pick-n-choose from a wide array of HD Movies, Primetime Programming, Sports, Adventure, Comedy. I get to watch the very best HD programming available, WHENEVER I WANT TO.....on my TIME SCHEDULE!!

N. Abstentia, I have seen the pics of your dedicated HT and I think you did a wonderful job with it, but you really don't know what you are missing.........HD RULES THE PLANET!
Robert

Eric Z
11-14-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the laughs, guys! Robert, you have to chill out! I think it's great how NA posted pics of his project on the site- many people commented how it was great and they learned about from his experiences.

What in your life has made this mad at the world? Just wondering.

Buy the way, any other thoughts on the 20% discount for DVDs? Maybe you guys should meet at the bike rack at 3pm- FIGHT!

Later on.
Eric

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 08:04 AM
I said it once, I'll say it again...and it seems to be the concensus here in this forum....must suck to be you.

And yes, I have about $40k in JUST my theater room. I'm sorry that YOU can replace your entire system for $3000, but I can't do that. $3000 wouldn't even replace my 3 front speakers.

I see why you don't care what kind of audio system you have....you're too much of an elitist snob to be able to enjoy it. You're too worried that your neighbor might have a bigger SUV than you.

Only a moron install a nice projector and then use it to watch satellite TV exclusively!! LOL! What's the point of having a theater system that won't even play DVD's??!?! BWAAAA HAA HAAAAA!!!

If HD rules the planet, why do only 10% of American households own an HD TV? Which planet are you talking about? LOL!!!

robert393
11-14-2005, 08:58 AM
And yes, I have about $40k in JUST my theater room.
Wow! PT Barnum said it best "a sucker is born every minute". Let's see, you got $1k in the projector, $10 in the PAINTED SCREEN, The Onkyo 989 is worth about $1k, your speakers would retail for less than $5k.
Your entire EQUIPMENT setup is about $10k at most!

$3000 wouldn't even replace my 3 front speakers.
Paradigm is a value speaker, at best! "Their most expensive speaker combination is actually a pair of Active/40 speakers with a Servo 15 subwoofer -- $3500 in total. This is hardly an expensive setup in high-end terms"- http://www.soundstagelive.com/factorytours/paradigm

install a nice projector and then use it to watch satellite TV exclusively!! You're not listening. I said I watch HD. Remember, HD is 2x the resolution of DVD.

If HD rules the planet, why do only 10% of American households own an HD TV?
You keep thinking HD sucks....ok? But, we know the only reason a person would say that is because they are ignorant (or jealous because they can't have it!).
Robert

robert393
11-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the laughs, guys! Robert, you have to chill out! I think it's great how NA posted pics of his project on the site- many people commented how it was great and they learned about from his experiences.

What in your life has made this mad at the world? Just wondering.

Buy the way, any other thoughts on the 20% discount for DVDs? Maybe you guys should meet at the bike rack at 3pm- FIGHT!

Later on.
Eric
Eric, I'm not mad, frustrated yes, but not mad. NA just keeps trying to say how much better 480p is than true HD, or how HD can't look anybetter than 480p.
Go back and read here (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14069) post # 13 / #24 / #35 and you will see that I complimented NA's setup and told him he has what most people can only dream of. What I get in return is his smart-ass insolence.

He has NEVER complimented ANY of my setup, but instead he trys to tear down HD as being inferior to 480p here (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14069) Post # 12 / #14 / #17 etc....

It just frustrates me when I have to deal with such ignorance.

Lastly, NA doesn't understand that I have been doing this (HT) for 15yrs. Although this is a hobby, I take it seriously, and have a hard time dealing with people that don't want to listen to facts. I own 2 Corporations, a BMW M5, BMW 740il, and am an expert in Car Audio. I own a car stereo shop, and we are 13-Time World Champion in Sound Quality, SPL, and DTS Surround (combined). When we won USACi World Finals in 2003 (2 awards, Sound Quality & DTS Surround Sound) that customer paid in excess of $130k for us to build that system. I have over $30k worth of car audio in my M5! I mention this only to let you see that I am very familiar with "high-end" equipment, and my standards are very high.

So, hopefully, you can see that I just get frustrated with NA. But, he is kinda like a favorite toy too. Hard to stop "playing" with...lol!

btw, I'm 44yrs, 6' 3", 220lbs, and power-lift 3x per week. Not saying I could take NA in a fight, but....I would like to sell admission and have it recorded....LOL!
Robert

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Wow! PT Barnum said it best "a sucker is born every minute". Let's see, you got $1k in the projector, $10 in the PAINTED SCREEN, The Onkyo 989 is worth about $1k, your speakers would retail for less than $5k.
Your entire EQUIPMENT setup is about $10k at most!

LOL! Add about another $10k and you can get started in trying to buy some of my equipment!

Plus as we all know, lumber, cinder blocks, concrete, drywall, paint, roofing materials, electricity, doors, carpet, air conditioning units, acoustic treatments, ceiling treatments, and labor are all FREE! You're such an idiot! LOL!

Perhaps you should sell some of your 'status cars' and buy some reading lessons. I NEVER said 480p looked BETTER than 1080. You just keep thinking I said that so you'll have something to whine about. If you have a 1080 source then of course it will look better. But guess what?? DVD'S ARE NOT 1080! When are you going to realize that?

It's a little clearer now..you're a car audio guy. Makes sense. Car audio guys generally don't know much about home audio, which is why I sold my car audio shop 15 years ago when I outgrew it. I wanted to move to something that adults could appreciate.

Where is your car audio shop? What's the name of it?

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 10:45 AM
You also failed to address this question:

If HD rules the planet, why do only 10% of American households own an HD TV? Which planet are you talking about? LOL!!!

So what's your rebuttal here?

Also, just so everyone else knows...I'm not anti-HD here, I'm just trying to find out why robert233923 thinks DVD is useless and why he keeps saying 'HD RULES THE PLANET' when it clearly does not.

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Not saying I could take NA in a fight, but....
Robert

Yeah I wouldn't say that either. That might be the only true thing you've said yet.

robert393
11-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Yeah I wouldn't say that either. That might be the only true thing you've said yet.
SHHHHHHhhhhhh.............
I've grown tired of you for a bit.
Robert

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah I thought as much.

Where is your car audio shop?

If HD rules the planet, why do only 10% of American households own an HD TV?

You can ponder those while you go 'power lift' a salami sandwich. LOL!

L.J.
11-14-2005, 12:26 PM
WOW! What the heck happened here? LOL. You guys are hilarious. It's so funny how this thread transformed from a 20% off DVD sale to this.

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 12:55 PM
More sad than hilarious I think. Leave it up to robert30939393 to take a helpful thread and turn it into a "your house is trash and I'm better than everyone here" thread. You'd think he would be too busy 'power lifting' cheeseburgers to try to belittle all of us :)

robert393
11-14-2005, 01:02 PM
You'd think he would be too busy 'power lifting' cheeseburgers to try to belittle all of us :)
I only belittle you....but you are such an easy target.....lol!!
Robert

robert393
11-14-2005, 01:02 PM
WOW! What the heck happened here? LOL. You guys are hilarious. It's so funny how this thread transformed from a 20% off DVD sale to this.
Yeah I know LJ. NA just can't stop trying to convince me how superior 480p is over true HD. Hope this thread has amused you though....I have certainly gotten a "chuck"le out of it!~
Robert

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Where is this car audio shop located?

If HD "rules the planet" (your own words), why do only 10% of American households own an HD TV?

robert393
11-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Where is this car audio shop located?

If HD "rules the planet" (your own words), why do only 10% of American households own an HD TV?
Why on earth would I tell you where I work? I will tell you it is in Dallas Texas.......

HD DOES rule the planet. We ARE talking about VISUALS here, right?
Robert

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 02:37 PM
What kind of equipment do you sell in this 'store'? Pyramid? Is this 'store' a white van?? LOL!

And the answer to the question that you can't answer is 10%. 10% of American households own an HDTV. Probably 1/3 of those actually watch HD on it. Looks great? Yes. It's the future? Yes. "Rules the planet"? Hardly. Get your facts straight. Let's not forget that the planet also includes all other countries. How many HDTV's are in Africa? Iraq? Iran?

Jim Clark
11-14-2005, 02:40 PM
This is kinda amusing, up to a point. I can basically see where you are both coming from. If Robert doesn't want to spend money on DVD's, it's not a problem for me. I mean, come on, DVD's are dirt cheap anyway. If it's going to create a financial hardship to buy a dvd for 10 bucks and down the road replace it with another format, it might be wise to avoid the scenario. I'm a bit surprised by Roberts rationale since he seems to have more money than I do, but whatever. Since I want to watch the movies I want to watch, DVD's are the only game in town. If I want to watch HD, and I do, I am limited to what the network is willing to let me watch. So far as I know, Batman Begins isn't available in HD anywhere, for example. I can wait several months to many years to wait for the title to become available in an HD format, or I can watch it on DVD ahora mismo. Would it be cool to have the titles in HD, of course it would but all the wishing in the world ain't gonna change the current situation which is sticky at best and hopelessly muddled is at least as likely.

DVD is the most successful and prolific format in history. Overcoming this is going to take a massive effort the likes of which we have never seen before. We can look to DVD-A and SACD for some sort of preview that many, including myself, think is unavoidable. Someday it will happen but I am not content to sit around and hope for the best. I have a Home Theater set up and not a Home TV set up. Sure there are some movies and I have many of the same channels as Robert. That doesn't change the fact that current offerings are slim at best and seldom what I got into HT for in the first place. Congress recently extended the deadline for stations to comply with HD standards, it ain't going to get better anytime soon.

So Robert, if you're content to use your setup to see what some network wants to show you, more power to you. HD is truly awesome and I think we can all agree, but it's got a long way to go before it meets all of my needs. Until then, there's the plebian standard DVD if you want to watch the movie you want to see when you want to see it.

jc

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Good post Jim, and I totally agree. I realize that HD looks phenomenal, and it is truly the future and I will love it when it catches up to the rest of us. I actually helped a buddy of mine (who lives across the street) with his theater after I got mine going and he has all the HD channels. Watching Nascar and American Chopper in HD is awesome, but I personally cannot justify dropping the $800 just to get and HD signal (not to mention a projector upgrade) for a handful of channels that would be on 5% of the time.

Like you said, I built a theater room..not a TV room. Having a TV signal at all in my room was a secondary concern. I wanted to watch movies the way they were intended to be watched. You don't go to a movie theater to watch a TV program...you go to be blown away by a killer movie!

Seems pointless to snub DVD just because it's not HD. I'd much rather be enjoying the latest releases on DVD at 480p instead of watching the evening news in HD..just because it's HD.

Jim Clark
11-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Well I finally clicked on your link to your theater's progress and I was happy to see that it's finished. Purple? That's the only thing that I really don't like at all! Your room looks pretty much perfect, vastly superior to Robert's, both immeasurably better than mine! When you get right down to it, if you were to combine some of all of our things we'd have a close to state of the art room.

I had intended years ago to turn the basement into my HT, but after starting it became clear that it wasn't going to happen the way I wanted it so I just finished the main part for the boys to use to be with their friends and get away from parents. I do have one section that I'm thinking of trying to convert but I'm forced to reconcile my dreams with the 8 foot ceilings in that room. Some day perhaps, but until then I have the utilitarian family room layout that will suffice although it's far from perfect.

jc

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks Jim! You don't have to like the purple ;)

I wanted something totally different from the rest of the house, and the rest of the home theaters in the area. It came down to either burnt orange or the purple that you see. Once I saw a real movie house done in purple I knew I had my color!