Survey: Who has never owned vinyl, but has been curious? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Survey: Who has never owned vinyl, but has been curious?

Arvind
11-11-2005, 04:51 PM
- what prevents you from trying it out?
- what questions would like answered before seriously considering a trial?
- at what price bracket for all needed gear (table, arm, cartridge, phono) would you make an entry.

ForeverAutumn
11-11-2005, 08:57 PM
- at what price bracket for all needed gear (table, arm, cartridge, phono) would you make an entry.

Are you kidding? Most people around here remember 78 rpm.

Audio Girl
11-11-2005, 11:18 PM
hehehehe. I am so sorry, but THAT was very funny, and she is so right. By the way, FA, when are you going to return that 78 I leant you recently?

Arvind
11-12-2005, 04:26 AM
I am not selling anything, I am doing a survey for a series of reviews. Thanks.

shokhead
11-12-2005, 05:24 AM
I owned a bunch of 45's in the 60's but that was it. In the A/V world,i kinda like moving ahead instead of backwards. 4-tracks,8-tracks,cassette's,cd's.
I've had a few 78's around,think they are worth keeping? Realist Records 28 timed sound effects
Walt Disney's Snow White and a Mary Poppins,both on 78 and a disnetland lable. Also the 1812 overture. All pretty old. Oh and a Gene Autrys western classics Book of 4 which i have 2.

Slosh
11-12-2005, 05:44 AM
- what prevents you from trying it out?I'm thinking it'll make you kinda sweaty.
- what questions would like answered before seriously considering a trial?Is it difficult to get on and off?
- at what price bracket for all needed gear would you make an entry?Money is no concern but just how much gear do I really need? :confused:

ForeverAutumn
11-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Money is no concern but just how much gear do I really need? :confused:

You can never have too much gear, Big Boy. ;)

ForeverAutumn
11-12-2005, 06:46 AM
hehehehe. I am so sorry, but THAT was very funny, and she is so right. By the way, FA, when are you going to return that 78 I leant you recently?

I'm so sorry AG, but I just can't get enough of that Donny Osmond singing Go Away Little Girl!!!

ForeverAutumn
11-12-2005, 06:46 AM

Okay, since you claim not to be selling anything, which was my first impression of your post and why I didn't take it seriously, I'll try to help you. :)

I haven't listened to vinyl since not long after I bought my first CD player and replaced most of my favourite albums with CDs. I don't care to try to remember how many years ago that was.

My main reason for making this switch was convenience. When I listened to vinyl, I had to record everything to tape so that I could carry my music with me (walkman, car, office, etc). When CDs hit the scene it was easier to replace all of my portable tape decks with CD players and get better quality sound in the majority of places that I listened to music.

Since most of my music listening still happens in remote places, away from my main system, going back to vinyl would mean going back to a similar inconvenience and most of my vinyl would end up rerecorded onto a CD and/or MP3 anyway. So, what would be the point really?

So, my not listening to vinyl has nothing to do with the points that you mention, i.e. questions, gear, price. It has everything to do with lifestyle.

I hope that's helpful for you.

Slosh
11-12-2005, 08:03 AM
You can never have too much gear, Big Boy. ;)hehe, I'm glad somebody got that :)

NP: McLusky - Do Dallas (on vinyl ;) )

Dusty Chalk
11-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Is it difficult to get on and off?Sometimes it is difficult to get it on, I would recommend a little lube (and try exercising once in a while). Most people who are into vinyl never have any trouble getting off.

Davey
11-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Most people who are into vinyl never have any trouble getting off.
Maybe it's just me, but just seems like if you didn't have any trouble getting off you wouldn't need to wear all that sweaty vinyl? Missing something? I do kind of like the smell of fresh talcum powder though ...

I was flipping channels last night and hit the middle of another lackluster performance by the everpresent Black Eyed Peas doing their latest silly song on one of the seemingly constant stream of MTV awards shows, although this one much more prominently featured Fergie in lead vocal, and you know she can't really sing very good as a lead, and she was wearing what looked like a black vinyl body suit under her jeans, and she looks to be getting a little fleshy in front lately (maybe preggie?), but it was kind of funny. Kept her ass to the camera most of the time. Kind of like a trainwreck, ya know? Kind of a major letdown after some of the things I've seen them do in the past which were entertaining at the least. This was just kind of lame.

ForeverAutumn
11-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Sometimes it is difficult to get it on

Most men wouldn't admit that in a public forum Dusty. Cudos to you for your honesty and not being shy.

BarryL
11-12-2005, 07:26 PM

I have hundreds of LPs, but you're right, I bet anyone under 25 years old probably never owned vinyl LPs. What a thought!

About five years ago my daughter asked me why we say we are dialing the phone. I had to find her an old dial phone to explain it to her!

Dusty Chalk
11-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Most men wouldn't admit that in a public forum Dusty. Cudos to you for your honesty and not being shy.Well, if this man can admit to this (http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/7242_1543474,00180007.htm), then any other problems seem secondary.

(PS I haven't tried vinyl myself, in a very very long time -- I end up just looking silly, not knowing what I'm doing, trying to balance... -- but I run in circles where many others try vinyl ["vi-curious"]. Some of them probably shouldn't, but I try not to be too judgmental. Some of them, it's just a phase that they're going through, but since we don't know how long they will be in, we just mind our own business. So -- and admitting this is actually harder -- I haven't tried getting it on or off in so long, that I actually don't remember how to do it. I vaguely remember it being pretty easy, but these people who are really into it make it sound like there's a lot of preparation involved...)
Maybe it's just me, but just seems like if you didn't have any trouble getting off you wouldn't need to wear all that sweaty vinyl? Missing something?Quite possibly. I know I am.

Stone
11-13-2005, 03:12 AM
I have hundreds of LPs, but you're right, I bet anyone under 25 years old probably never owned vinyl LPs. What a thought!

About five years ago my daughter asked me why we say we are dialing the phone. I had to find her an old dial phone to explain it to her!

I played an album for my girlfriend a couple weeks ago, and her 13 year old daughter told me she had never even seen an LP, let alone hear one played. It was a bit bizarre to me at the time, but as I thought about it, at her age, she would have had no reason to necesarily be exposed to vinyl.

Slosh
11-13-2005, 03:50 AM
My daughter is in ninth grade and I've been taking her with me to a great indie record store ever since she started showing a serious interest in music when she was about ten. She's into punk mostly and much of what she likes is nearly impossible to find anywhere else around here, although I only buy her CDs. She does have CD-R copies of quite a few of my LPs, though. Anyway, none of her friends' parents even have a turntable, nevermind her peers. And while she agrees LPs usually do sound better she doesn't care. Hell, I often find her listening to mp3s of CDs I own.

I guess I've always cared about sound quality because when I was a kid I only ever had junk stereo systems/boom boxes to listen on. My parents had a nice Pioneer receiver/AR speakers/Realistic turntable so I did know what I was missing and would use their stereo whenever I could get away with it. My daughter OTOH grew up with a Marantz receiver/Mission speakers in her bedroom so she never had to suffer the truly awful sound quality I had to put up with. She does say that most of her friends' stereos sound like crap so I guess she does care about the difference somewhat, but even her friends' Sony mini systems, etc. are light years better than what I had at their age.

3db
11-14-2005, 10:59 AM

I'm in the market to replace my 25 year old Realistic turntable with a new one . hoefully the entry line NAD model (751?? I think) .Anyway, a young guy at an audio speciality shop took me to a setup that was running the NAD. I wanted to make sure that my vinyl was still good enough to play to warrant a new turntable. Thank god which it was. He told me he grew up with CDs, never heard music on vinyl until he started working in the shop. He told me he was totally blown away by the sound of vinyl and that the sound of CDs paled into comparison of a good turntable setup. Now if the younger guys who never raised on vinyl prefer vinyl over CDs, then thats saying something good about it.

The setup I'm looking at will cost be around $500.00 CDN.

Dave_G
11-15-2005, 06:02 AM
I started collecting vinyl in 1968 and still buy it.

As a matter of fact, yesterday was early christmas for me.

2 lp's came in the mail from ebay.

New, sealed.

Kansas - Monolith

Kerry Livgren - Time Line

Unfortunately I sold a LOT of lp's on ebay several years ago for some stupid reason. But I kept my all killer, no filler stuff.

My 12 year olds knows all about vinyl and my 5 year old knows what it is.

I want some MFSL Sytx and Foreigner...

Dave

jack70
11-17-2005, 08:40 AM
This link (should) work without a registr/request... it was in Sunday's paper:

http://www.courant.com/hc-vinyl.artnov13,0,1613945.story

Vinyl Havens -- Sanctuaries Remain Where Loyalists Can Still Buy LPs
By MATT EAGAN

Ask an eighth-grader what the phrase "like a broken record" means, and you will likely as not be greeted with a blank stare ... a blank stare ... a blank stare...

The LP, that black vinyl disc still so beloved by audiophiles for its warmer sound, even if it was prone to scratching in untrained hands, was forced into steady retreat decades ago. First, cassettes outsold them. Then CDs buried them. Now it's the iPod.

And yet vinyl has dug in its grooves and refused to be consigned to history's discount rack. There are still shops throughout the state that offer sanctuary to fans of vinyl, long after cassettes disappeared without a eulogy. There are still places where every picture tells a story, don't it? Because albums were almost as much about the sleeve as the sound.
For starters, his selection is admirable. Odd '70s progressive bands and experimental jazz records dominate one corner of his shop, which seems small at first until one realizes there is another room and another one after that. Those looking for something more mundane - "The Unforgettable Fire" on vinyl perhaps? - will not be disappointed