Has anyone used a tactile transducer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a tactile transducer?

Kam
11-11-2005, 12:30 PM
just curious if anyone used one of these in their system over a sub, or heard any pros/cons about them. i know a lot of car people have them for bass, but also read that home theater fans are starting to use more of them in their setups as well.
:)

peace
k2
(go 'canes!)

JeffKnob
11-11-2005, 03:32 PM
I have 4 of the Aura BassShakers attached to my couch. I wouldn't say they replace the subwoofer, they just add to it. When your subwoofer is really low you can hear and feel the bass which adds to the effect of the movie. With the tactile transducers you don't have to have your subwoofer turned up as high to achieve the tactile feeling.

I have found that some people that are into home theater think these are dumb but I personally like them. I have some of the cheapest ones and they work ok for me. I got them at partsexpress.com for about $30 a pair. They have some more expensive ones made by Tactile Sound. They have a flatter frequency response but cost quite a bit more. They also have more force but also require more power. ButtKickers are another line of tactile transducers.

nightflier
11-11-2005, 06:20 PM
I have 4 of the Aura BassShakers attached to my couch

Jeff,

How are they connected to your receiver? I've always wondered about how they are supposed to integrate.

JeffKnob
11-12-2005, 01:42 PM
I have an AudioSource 5.2 amp connected to the LFE output on my receiver. The amp has it's own level control so I can adjust the level independently of the subwoofer. I just have a Y cable to split the signal to the subwoofer and the amp for the bassshakers.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Kam,
I had the opportunity to use the ones by Tactile sound. I didn't like the effect as much as I liked the effect of my two subs that do the same thing. At times the added a very unnatural effect to some simple door slams that my subs didn't do. I guess I am used to feeling a pressure wave along with the shaking of the floor and couch as opposed to just the shaking of the couch. On this one I would say different strokes for different folks. Either you like the effect, or you don't

Kam
11-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the info Jeff and T3. i have only heard/felt them in cars and didnt quite like the experience, if only because it was an overhwhelming amount of bass. but when i heard people use them in HT, sounded like that might be a better environment, sizewise, to apply them in.

but in an nyc apt, i already have more than enough bass without even a subwoofer to cause problems, haha. i put some peter gabriel on or pop in some LOTR and like clockwork the top neighbor pounds the floor.

nightflier
11-14-2005, 05:35 PM
I have an AudioSource 5.2 amp connected to the LFE output on my receiver. The amp has it's own level control so I can adjust the level independently of the subwoofer. I just have a Y cable to split the signal to the subwoofer and the amp for the bassshakers.

What about the bass-shakers, how are they connected to the AS 5.2 amp?