iPod Shuffle People [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : iPod Shuffle People

ForeverAutumn
11-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Has listening to your iPod (or iTunes) on shuffle changed the way you feel about any of the music on there?

I had mixed feelings about Frameshift's last CD, Absence of Empathy. I couldn't really decide whether I liked it or not. As I've been running through my shuffled list on iTunes, I've skipped over every song on this disk. I guess that explains how I feel about the disk, eh?

On the other hand, I wasn't overly impressed with the Redwalls disk, De Nova. It's good, but not great. However, everytime a Redwalls song comes up in the shuffle, I really enjoy it! Much more than I do when I listen to the disk in full and get bored halfway through.

I thought that these were interesting observations.

Snowbunny
11-10-2005, 04:53 PM
DO THE SHUFFLE... DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DO DOOT DOOT!!!

Is that a line dance?

(Guess who saw Saturday Night Fever again for the first time in 30-odd years.)

I do the shuffle even though I don't have an IPOD. I never upload a song I don't like on to my player, so its all good.

audiobill
11-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Has listening to your iPod (or iTunes) on shuffle changed the way you feel about any of the music on there?

I had mixed feelings about Frameshift's last CD, Absence of Empathy. I couldn't really decide whether I liked it or not. As I've been running through my shuffled list on iTunes, I've skipped over every song on this disk. I guess that explains how I feel about the disk, eh?

On the other hand, I wasn't overly impressed with the Redwalls disk, De Nova. It's good, but not great. However, everytime a Redwalls song comes up in the shuffle, I really enjoy it! Much more than I do when I listen to the disk in full and get bored halfway through.

I thought that these were interesting observations.

Your observations, FA, are very similar to mine. I haven't had the iPod as long as you, or others on this board, but I'm finding that some albums lend themselves more so to "mixed-singles" play rather than as albums-comlete. In fact, with the advent of the CD, more filler seems to be creeping into "albums", than when vinyl was king/queen.
Funny you should mention the Redwalls, since I have a similar experience with the latest Metric disc - prefer it mixed with others, rather than one continuous play.
No doubt in my mind that the iPod is changing the way i/we listen to music. I, however, have old school tendencies and will 4 times out of 5 opt for the complete artist/album choice on the pod, rather than the shuffle. Go figure? This, too, may change with the more time I spend with my iPod.

Just my thoughts,

Bill

Troy
11-11-2005, 12:52 PM
What it's done for me is make me notice that it's the SONG, not the album that draws me in. It's rare that I DL an entire album. I only grab the good songs.

Having the block of 5 second songs from They Might Be Giants album "Apollo 18" in there on shuffle is hilarious. The world needs more 5 second songs.

I wish there was an easy way to program it to not shuffle for the next song so that tracks that are intros (like Split Enz's "Pioneer" into "6 Months in a Leaky Boat) will always play the next song automatically without having to push any buttons on iTunes or the player. I'd like it to just know when to do this based on how I download it or something. I dunno.

The other shuffle play thing that's strange, with 1300+ songs in this thing, it seems to always want to play Frank Zappa's "Packarg Goose", Air's "How Does that Make You Feel?", Radiohead's "Subterraneam Homesick Alien", Steve Hackett's "Spectral Mornings" and The Flower Kings "Flora Majora." Seems like one of these is played withing the first hour every time I turn it on. Does your iPod have favorites it likes to play too?

BarryL
11-11-2005, 01:20 PM
I wish there was an easy way to program it to not shuffle for the next song so that tracks that are intros (like Split Enz's "Pioneer" into "6 Months in a Leaky Boat) will always play the next song automatically without having to push any buttons on iTunes or the player.

If I understand what you want to do, you want to join two tracks together so that they alwyas play together.

When you are in iTunes selecting songs to rip, highlight the songs you want joined together (they may have to be consective songs to begin with). Select Advanced, Join Song Tracks. Voila, done. Never to be seperated.

I just spent six months in a leaky boat...

You won't like the new Kate Bush, so don't even consider it.

Troy
11-11-2005, 01:33 PM
If I understand what you want to do, you want to join two tracks together so that they alwyas play together.

When you are in iTunes selecting songs to rip, highlight the songs you want joined together (they may have to be consective songs to begin with). Select Advanced, Join Song Tracks. Voila, done. Never to be seperated.

I just spent six months in a leaky boat...

You won't like the new Kate Bush, so don't even consider it.

COOL! Thanks Barry. I owe you a beer for that one!

Can you go back and join songs that are already ripped?

Never been a fan of Kate Bush. I've often wondered if she woulda ever got a contract if she wasn't married to David Gilmour.

BarryL
11-12-2005, 07:22 PM
COOL! Thanks Barry. I owe you a beer for that one!

Can you go back and join songs that are already ripped?

Never been a fan of Kate Bush. I've often wondered if she woulda ever got a contract if she wasn't married to David Gilmour.

I don't pay any attention to artists personal lives, so I didn't know she was married to Dave Gilmour. He must be 20 years older than she is.

Nope, you can't join songs that are already ripped. Too bad.

I'll take that beer, so keep it cold for me.