Dean and the Duke. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dean and the Duke.

Kam
11-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Finally caught up and saw Rebel Without a Cause again after about 15 years and also The Quiet Man.

Rebel Without a Cause - already discussed this a lot with deano, but i guess watching it when i was so much younger gave the impression that dean was just so cool as this high school punk, but now, it definitely dawned on me that there is NO way he's in high school. Natalie Wood is believable as a high school senior, but dean as a teenager.... that is a stretch. however, in spite of that, its still a brilliant movie. but now back to the previous dean/brando comparison, and after refreshing my dean reccolection, i dont think there's any comparison at all. i still have to recheck east of eden to get the full comparison (the kazan connection) but from what i remember, dean had one note which he played extremely well. brando had far more gradations in his performances. just as an example dean's "You guys are tearing me apart!" soulfelt scream for help to brando's "stella!" and you can see how much more is churning within brando. it's almost as if dean has it right for the first few levels, but if you were to look much deeper, you won't find much more. however, that being said, he was still magnificent and this is a comparison to, arguably, the greatest actor ever.

The Quiet Man - i've been on a bit of a ford kick recently and this is right up there with his best. (he did win best director for it). john wayne plays an american boxer who returns to his native ireland and falls in love, marries, etc. what is now a cliched tale is pretty fresh watching it told by ford. he has an invisible style of directing that really makes a movie effortless. i dont think there are many directors at all that can insert themselves into a movie without it being obstrusive. very few directors in fact can do that. spielberg is one who you can immediately tell, this is a spielberg movie, whether it is schindler's list or jurassic park, his touch is evident, but not obtrusive, because his touch is with the thematic elements you're being drawn into, the human element in JP is given as much weight as any special effect (the eating ice cream scene, the family themes, the protection of children, etc). whereas the worst case of a director inserting himself extremely obtrusively in a film, imo, is michael bay, because he visually inserts himself into a movie with "ooo this is gonna be a cool shot" visuals, regardless of impact, emotional value, pov, or anything logical. spielberg, i had read, was a huge admirer of ford, and watching the Quiet Man, i can see the exact same things that spielberg does, done bby ford decades earlier. the quiet moments between people where so much more is conveyed than can be done with words Ford nails. and its so effortlessly light, even when dealing with tough issues like the ira or wife-abuse, it doesn't bog down as in "we are now dealing with heavy material" it still stays light and lets the story speak for itself.

Another two very high reccomendations. :)

Next up: All About Eve, Chinatown, and Stagecoach.

peace
k2

dean_martin
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Hey Kam,

There's a 2-disc special edition East of Eden that came out in May of this year. I'm thinking it will be one of my favorite Christmas presents. My present copy is the widescreen version I copied from Turner Classic Movies several years ago. It includes the Overture. The music plays for several minutes while a single stationary camera shoots waves crashing against the cliffs of the California Coast. You don't see anything like that anymore.

As far as Rebel goes, Dean's character was part of teen consciousness for several generations. He certainly fit into the celebration of teenage angst in the early 90s. I'm not sure what symbolic figure teens relate to today, but their knowledge or awareness of James Dean/Rebel seems to be vague at best. Maybe I'm just too old and out of touch to know what's hip. Have you got a read on this?

There were some actors seperating themselves from the stilted or classic style that dominated film acting until Brando came along. And I think Dean was the next one. In Rebel, I think Sal Mineo did the best job of stepping out on a limb with Dean.

I agree with you on Dean being too old for high school. As I said before after seeing this on the big screen, you could see his stubble. He looked like he lived a fast life. But like you I was able to get past that and enjoy his performance.

Looking forward to your take on Chinatown. Once you post, I'll share my hang-up on that one. This is one I need to watch again myself.

Worf101
11-10-2005, 08:27 AM
The Quiet Man is one of my faves. Ireland as it never was and how we all wish it could've been. A classic Ford ensemble cast of Wayne, Ward Bond and Victor McCloghlin. (sp). Not sure how many they made together but you can consider them Fords Faves. The touches in this film are outstanding, amazing. Forget Brigadoon, let me go to Innesfree, that's where I want to spend my eternity.... As for comparing Ford to Speilberg... pheh if you say so, but you can't prove it by me.

Da Worfster :cool: