Strange mixing on ABC's 5.1 broadcasts [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Strange mixing on ABC's 5.1 broadcasts

yakkosmurf
01-12-2004, 07:20 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to find that ABC was broadcasting the Sugar Bowl a few weeks ago in 720p with a 5.1 DD soundtrack. I watched the game that way and couldn't understand the mixing to save my life. 99% of the audio came from the main left and right channels, including all on field sound and 100% of the commentators. The rears were non-existent. I actually got up a few times, and put my ear next to them to verify there was no sound coming out of them. If it's that hard to mix 5.1 real time and get a better result, and I'm the only that thinks it's not worth doing? Just wondering if anyone else shared the same experience.

Btw, my system was setup properly. It was using the same sound and level settings I use from playing DVDs.

Keith from Canada
01-12-2004, 08:44 AM
I've noticed that both the ABC and CBS 5.1 mixes are case specific depending on the venue. For some broadcasts (e.g. Monday Night Football, Alias, etc.) the 5.1 is definitely true 5.1. For others, it seems as though we're getting a DD 2.0 mix. When done properly (e.g. commentators in the center, field action from the mains and crowd noise from the mains and rears), both CBS and ABC offer great audio to go along with the phenomenal HD images. Unfortunately, not everything is done in 5.1. Most notably, ABC did a great job with last years Super Bowl...even some of the commercials came through with stunning HD images and true 5.1 surround.

_Luke1_
01-12-2004, 08:44 AM
When I watch Eagles football games I listen to the commentators on the radio because they're homers. I use DPLII which gets me the commentators from the TV (don't know if it's from the center channel or some "phantom" thing with the L+R fronts) and crowd noise from all around including the rears from a stereo broadcast. However it works, it sounds like I'm in the crowd with the commentators from the front. I can't believe ABC couldn't do at least that well.

yakkosmurf
01-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Most notably, ABC did a great job with last years Super Bowl...even some of the commercials came through with stunning HD images and true 5.1 surround.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully, CBS will do as well this year. I didn't get a chance to see any of the CBS broadcasted games this weekend. I'll have to try and catch them this weekend.