Speaker Recommendations Appreciated [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Recommendations Appreciated

Charbear
11-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi all! New to this website. It appears to be an awesome exchange of information. I have an older stereo system which I really like and do not want to change (old Adcom 200W Amp and Tuner/Preamp combo unit). My old Accoustic Research AR48BX speakers are finally tired. I've replaced the woofers once and now need to replace them again. Midrange cones have also deteriorated. I can't see replacing all of these in 15 year old speakers.

Mainly listen to blues/jazz and 70's - 90's rock (grew up on "hair" bands and never grew out of it :) )

I'd greatly appreciate recommendations on $400 - $800 per pair speakers. Since the Adcom equipemnt is old (~20 years), there is no "surround sound", subwoofer output, etc. so I guess typical home theater systems are out as well as integrated or stand alone sub woofer systems, right?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice/recommendations.

GMichael
11-08-2005, 12:49 PM
I vote for the Magnepan MMG's at $550 a pair. But here are more choices. Happy hunting.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=10906

Florian
11-08-2005, 12:54 PM
I vote for a used MG12 :D

Mike Anderson
11-08-2005, 01:59 PM
I vote for the Magnepan MMG's at $550 a pair. But here are more choices. Happy hunting.

I second this. Add a subwoofer if you want serious bass. The MMGs will only stay flat down to about 60 hz (probably enough for most people, but I really like music to be a visceral thing that I can feel in my chest). (Whoops, never mind, I just saw that you said you had no output for a sub.)

I've had my MMG speakers (combined with a Dayton Titanic 10" sub) for about a month and half now, and I couldn't be happier with them.

Woochifer
11-08-2005, 03:43 PM
First off, are you looking for a similar sound to those ARs, or are you looking to migrate over to a different type of sound? I recall that the ARs of that era tended to lean more towards a balanced sound, but not quite as much of a midrange emphasis as the British speakers. I also recall that AR was still making acoustic suspension speakers back then. The big change that has occurred since the late-80s is that most speaker manufacturers have gone to ported designs, partly because the technology now allows for easier testing and prototyping with different box/port/driver configuration. And partly because of the move to home theater, which favors more efficient speakers.

The only manufacturer I'm aware of in your price range that still makes good acoustic suspension speakers is NHT. I've heard their Evolution speakers in a home theater configuration, and they have a smooth and tight sound. Might have a touch more extension in the highs than you're used to because they use metal dome tweeters (as do most speakers in your price range), but the bass characteristics should have the friendly and gradual rolloff at the low end that acoustic suspension speakers are known for.

Because you're using separates, I would also recommend that you give the Dynaudios a listen. Those are not easy speakers to drive, but their tonal characteristics are generally very neutral with a good amount of bass from a relatively small cabinet.

Other speakers that might be reasonably close to the tonal characteristics of vintage ARs might include Boston and Polk, as well as Canadian speakers such as Paradigm, Energy, and PSB. If you want a more aggressive sound, then you should look into Klipsch and Definitive Technology. I've generally felt that the Def Techs were overly aggressive and punchy, but I recently heard a demo with the floorstanding BP7004 featuring a DVD-A of the Eagles' Hotel California and those speakers seem tailor made for 70s rock.

As others have mentioned, you should give the Magneplanars a listen, but the ones in your price range might lack the punch that you want with rock music. I've been very impressed with how planar speakers handle acoustic music, but less so with amplified instruments. If rock is your priority, try them out, but your best options might lie elsewhere.

I would also recommend that you give the Vandersteens a try. They're not my cup of tea, but they image incredibly well and that might work to your preferences.

jwh917
11-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Give the Boston Acoustics VRM Reference series a listen.I think they are incredibly good sounding speakers.A little pricey but good deals on Ebay can be had.I have the VRM60 bookshelves and they create an unblievable wall of dynamic sound.The most impressive aspect i find is thier bass response,giving everything you hear a great foundation.I'm powering them with an old Adcom 60 wpc and it is more than enough.Check out the reviews for them on this site.Good luck and just my 2 cents.

Curmudgeon
11-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Rather than suggesting a manufacturer, or model, I'd prefer to suggest a method. Go around to the various audio outlets; perhaps you'll have some good audio stores in your area. Try to go when they will not be busy, and take a few CD's that you're very familiar with.

Explain that you don't know what you want yet, but would like to hear what they have in your price range. If they're too busy to help, move on. If they have trade-ins, all the better.

When you find something you like, see if you can get a home audition, or bring in your Adcom. Speakers today are more revealing, and the Adcoms had a slight "glassy" sound then as I remember, so a mismatch is possible with a bright or forward speaker.

And take your time. The journey is part of the fun.

Used Vandersteens are nice, and the smaller ones used might fit your budget, but this is an area where tastes differ greatly, so listen, listen, listen.

Hermie
11-21-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi Everyone, can you guts help me which one is better the Paradigm monitor 11 or Polk Rti-12? i,ve listen to the Polk and it's nice but not yet to Monitor 11...our dealer here in taiwan only have the monitor 5. and they not yet sure if they can help me audition the 11. so i'm asking your opinions...Thank You very much.

P.S. also wich one is better Polk Monitor 40 Or Paradigm Monitor 5?

Mark111867
11-21-2005, 06:31 AM
If you're interested in the "Boston" sound, Cambridge Soundworks Newton M-80 or something in the Newton line might be worth looking at. Good luck.

RGA
11-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi all! New to this website. It appears to be an awesome exchange of information. I have an older stereo system which I really like and do not want to change (old Adcom 200W Amp and Tuner/Preamp combo unit). My old Accoustic Research AR48BX speakers are finally tired. I've replaced the woofers once and now need to replace them again. Midrange cones have also deteriorated. I can't see replacing all of these in 15 year old speakers.

Mainly listen to blues/jazz and 70's - 90's rock (grew up on "hair" bands and never grew out of it :) )

I'd greatly appreciate recommendations on $400 - $800 per pair speakers. Since the Adcom equipemnt is old (~20 years), there is no "surround sound", subwoofer output, etc. so I guess typical home theater systems are out as well as integrated or stand alone sub woofer systems, right?

I agree for the most part with Woochifer -- the smaller panels from maggie don't rock -- The SMG which is an older maggie and the 1.6 which is a bigger more bass version of the 12 or MMG doesn't really produce quality amplified music which is what kind of music you are listening to. They also do some other things well but those other things are not the things that you listen to.

I also recommend the Dynaudio -- the 42 is close to your price. I would also recommend the B&W 602S3 and the Audio Note AX Two.

Cheers.

GMichael
11-21-2005, 07:30 PM
I agree for the most part with Woochifer -- the smaller panels from maggie don't rock -- The SMG which is an older maggie and the 1.6 which is a bigger more bass version of the 12 or MMG doesn't really produce quality amplified music which is what kind of music you are listening to. They also do some other things well but those other things are not the things that you listen to.

I also recommend the Dynaudio -- the 42 is close to your price. I would also recommend the B&W 602S3 and the Audio Note AX Two.

Cheers.

How do you feel about the KEF Q11's?

Florian
11-22-2005, 05:03 AM
Same as with almost every other non AN speaker. :rolleyes:

3db
11-22-2005, 05:48 AM

I suggest taking a good look at the PSB Stratus series,especially the Minis. Add a good sub to the mix and you'll have a killer system. If you can swing a little more in the budget, try the next ones up in the stratus series, the Silveris and you maybe able to forgo the sub.

Please remember to take your music alng to the audio stores and use the music your most familair with when autditioning speakers. If you have a SPL meter available, bring that with you too because its human nature to always want to choose the speaker that plays louder . By brining your own music and an SPL meter , you eliminate a few variables and level the playing field a little .

GMichael
11-22-2005, 06:07 AM
Same as with almost every other non AN speaker. :rolleyes:

I love the way you can throw your voice like that. You even sounded like him.

T BOMB25
11-22-2005, 03:27 PM
I would recomend the Epos M5,with outstanding bass for its size and great timing and a sweet midrange for $650 retail you can get them cheaper if you wann buy online,I would at least go here them somewhere locally,they are a outstanding buy.

If you can muster up $895 the Epos M12.2 would be a huge step up and you can also get them cheaper on line,but go some where locally and hear them,these are giant killers right here with the proper setup,so good luck!

RGA
11-22-2005, 09:37 PM

I have heard the Q1 which for the money was about what I would expect and in the upper half of what I have heard. I have not been inclined to go out of my way though to hear the upper models. I may get some time in the new year to make many more auditions. I do like the fact that Kef makes a note to stress the importance of driver matching and mathcing speakers to eachother. The Q11 is the top of the Q line I believe so i should imagine it would be significantly better -- I assume it has a completely different tweeter, preferably not a metal one, for the extra money.

I also forgot to mention that the PMC TB2 if bought in Canada may be an option veyr close to the budget after exchange etc. This would be speaker i would take over the Dane and the B&W. The new version has upgraded from metal to silk dome so if the treble has indeed been fixed up over the version I heard and considered purchasing then this could be an under the radar speaker that should impress.

vlastoc
11-25-2005, 04:40 AM
wait, it depends if you Charbear want shelf or standing speakers...

vlastoc
11-25-2005, 04:50 AM

uf, I had no idea, that MMG's are not so expensive, or better say, so cheap...