Mission vs JBL or Polk [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mission vs JBL or Polk

stj
11-07-2005, 07:19 PM
I 'm going to get a couple bookshelf speakers and a sub for 13 X 20 room.

Amazon has Mission speakers for a good price right now. From what I've read these should be very good, but I don't think they are available locally to hear. The alternative is to go with Polks ar JBL which I have heard and can get locally..

I'm thinking of the m31s or 32s.

Can anyone who has experience with this series of Mission speakers comment on whether they would be a better choice?

dev18283
11-10-2005, 02:37 AM
hi
please dont go for m series in Mission , they dont have lows and the power handling is also very poor, u can look for Northigeseries from JBL or Monitor series from Polk
if u want a much better bass then blindly go for JBL , the throw in polk is very good when compared to JBL But then the bass..........it depends on qwhat kind of music u listen, u can also have a look at KEF and Celistion .
dev.

SpankingVanillaice
11-10-2005, 03:15 AM
As I always say to everyone I would go with JBL since I really think JBL makes the best speakers in the world. This is what I beleve. :)

Greekguy
11-10-2005, 07:58 AM
It depends on what your main use for them will be... Mission, or for that matter, any British speakers, tend to be kind of bright compared to other speakers, and lack some of the punch necessary for deep bass soundtracks. They're by no means bad, just that Missions are more geared to live or brighter music.

JBL are great for bass, but lack some of the high end and detail of other speakers. If your primary use for these bookshelves is home theatre, JBL will serve you well, but there are better options for all-around use.

Polk makes very good all around speakers, though I'm not too familiar with their bookshelf models. I tend to lean towards tower speakers personally, but Polk doesn't sound like a bad choice.

Depending on your budget, you could also look into Energy, Wharfdale, Paradigm and Totem speakers, but it all comes down to preference in the end. Go to your local store with a selection of movies and music and put them through the wringer; your ears will be your guide.

stj
11-12-2005, 07:21 PM
I haven't checked for replies for a couple of days.

Thanks you for the input.

I would be using a subwoofer also, so the lack of deep base would be o.k. if the mids and treble were good.

The price on the missions seems pretty good. I do like the sound ofthe JBLs that I have heard though.

Since I can't find any missions to lilsten to I may stick with the JBL.

evil__betty
11-13-2005, 01:06 PM
As I always say to everyone I would go with JBL since I really think JBL makes the best speakers in the world. This is what I beleve. :)
You need to get out more.

josh_ahmann
11-16-2005, 05:05 PM
I think you need to consider more than just three speaker brands, like others have said. A couple years ago when I got into the stereo craze I went out to Fry's and bought a pair of Polk Rti6s. Later I got a pair of JBL E30s because they were cheap at CompUsa. In hindsight I wish I had done more research (listening). I know that peoples choice of sound is based on listenening preferences but if someone had introduced me to B&W, monitor audio, or any other mid priced speakers I wouldn't have wasted my money on JBL or Polk. Now I have a pair of nht SB1s and SB3 and am extremely happy with the sound. The polks and JBLs have since been downgraded to the basement. Consider used speakers or save up and reap the benefits in the long run. Just something to think about.