Wireless audio solution? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wireless audio solution?

mark.ps
11-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Hi all,

I have a bit of a hardware problem, and need to pick the collective brain of the forum for a solution! Read on if ye know anything about transmitting an audio signal over a wireless network (of sorts)

I have an turntable setup in a room of my house, and would like to wirelessly link this audio souce to both my stereo and my PC. There would be no more than ~10M maximum distance between the table and either receiver, and no heavy concrete barriers.

Can anyone suggest any equipment which can act as a transmitter to take a twin phono input, transmit the signal to a receiver and then output to a standard phono input?

Edit - may have posted this to a more relevant forum :o

bubbagump
11-07-2005, 05:28 AM
If so, you can connect the turntable to the pc or mac and then use a wireless device. The Squeezebox for example. It won't be a cheap solution since you'll have to have a dongle for the turntable and then the squeezbox. I don't know of another solution.

http://www.slimdevices.com/

mark.ps
11-08-2005, 01:07 AM
If so, you can connect the turntable to the pc or mac and then use a wireless device.

The Turntable is isolated in a corner of the lounge, hence the need for something small and relatively self-contained to transmit the signal. I came across these little gizmos on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-4Ghz-wireless-Video-Audio-sender-transmitter-receiver_W0QQitemZ7558561840QQcategoryZ3319QQcmdZV iewItem

No idea as to the quality of transmission but these are, in a nutshell, what I need - A 2.4GHz wireless transmitter/receiver pair with phono inputs

markw
11-08-2005, 04:22 AM
"phono" is a type of plug in this case. A phono cartridge puts out a very small signal which needs additional amplification before it's usable by the rest of the system. RatShack sells 'em for around $30 or so. ...they go up from there.

Mr Peabody
11-20-2005, 06:22 PM
For about $100.00 Radio Shack makes a wireless system. This one will do both audio and video plus you can point a remote at it and control the unit in another room. This will work for you, it has L/R RCA ins and outs. You plug your turntable into the transmitting unit and the receiver into your PC or stereo. I'm not sure how wide the frequency response would be that it transmitts.

dmb_fan
11-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi all,

I have a bit of a hardware problem, and need to pick the collective brain of the forum for a solution! Read on if ye know anything about transmitting an audio signal over a wireless network (of sorts)

I have an turntable setup in a room of my house, and would like to wirelessly link this audio souce to both my stereo and my PC. There would be no more than ~10M maximum distance between the table and either receiver, and no heavy concrete barriers.

Can anyone suggest any equipment which can act as a transmitter to take a twin phono input, transmit the signal to a receiver and then output to a standard phono input?

Edit - may have posted this to a more relevant forum :o

I tried using a Radio Shack 2.4Ghz transmitter to send audio signals to an extra system once and it failed miserably. It was only 30 feet away and in a clear line of site with no walls, furniture etc, and it still couldn't transmit audio without ridiculous static.

Perhaps we have a lot of RF interference in our neighborhood or something, but don't get your hopes up too high about a transmitter.

-Adam