athena micra 6, any good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : athena micra 6, any good?

vxaudio
11-06-2005, 07:39 PM
im looking for a small system for the bedroom to use with my old receiver. i found some athena micra 6 5.1 systems new online for under 200 dollars. any comments on this set? i havent found anywhere yet to listen to them. anybody know of any other good qualitysatellite sets in this price range?? ive heard athenas floorstanders before and liked them...do their satellites have wuality also?

Dmax
11-07-2005, 05:00 AM
im looking for a small system for the bedroom to use with my old receiver. i found some athena micra 6 5.1 systems new online for under 200 dollars. any comments on this set? i havent found anywhere yet to listen to them. anybody know of any other good qualitysatellite sets in this price range?? ive heard athenas floorstanders before and liked them...do their satellites have wuality also? Athena speakers sound very good to me and I think the system your speaking of is featured in Audioholics best complete HT system for a $1000.00 with separate brand receiver and dvd player included or it might be the speaker system underneath this one.I just purchased an Athena sub on clearance and its awesome. I also hear that Athena Speakers ,Mirage Speakers, and Energy Speakers are all made by the same company, just under different names and prices.

kexodusc
11-07-2005, 05:29 AM
As far as small, compact HTIB type speaker packages go, the Micras are probably one of the better ones, IMO. The leave a lot to be desired for music, and can get a bit fatiguing on some movies (the highs are a bit on the scorching hot side) but, overall they are reasonably well balanced.
I can't think of any other HTIB's off the top of my head that I'd prefer. Maybe the older Energy Take models, but I've neverd done a head to head. At $200 it's a no-brianer (does it include the subwoofer?) They'e a good step up on the typical Sony, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc HTIB's with their brand of speakers.

markw
11-07-2005, 05:37 AM
Little speakers, due to the laws pf physice, have their inherent limitations but, for being tiny, they are very good. For $200 they are unbeatable unles you findsome that fell off a truck somewhere. Here's a fairly unbiased review.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/AthenaTechnologiesMicra6p1.html

vxaudio
11-07-2005, 02:46 PM
the sets i found are new and unused, including the subwoofer (in black). this would be for the bedroom and used mainly for TV and maybe an occasional comedy or other non action movie. i just got a new receiver and thought i might as well use my older one in the bedroom. thanks for the replies, looks like a good bedroom setup.

Eric Z
11-08-2005, 01:39 AM
I heard them at BB and they're not too bad for small speakers- they might work well in the bedroom, too- if it's not too big.