I can't tell if my sub sounds better in phase or reversed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I can't tell if my sub sounds better in phase or reversed

eighthcircuit
11-06-2005, 12:44 PM
I can't decide whether my sub is tuned properly when it's in phase or reversed. The sub sounds louder with the phase reversed but it seems less boomy or at least less noticeble in phase. How can i tell when it is setup as it is supposed to sound? From my past research, i get the impression that the bass should sound fuller (i.e. louder), so that would mean in my case that the phase should be reversed, but it also seems to be tighter sounding in phase. Both ways sound good in their own way, so it is difficult to know which way it is supposed to be.

markw
11-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Just set it whichever way sounds best to you.

kexodusc
11-06-2005, 02:36 PM
It sounds better in phase, problem is that little switch doesn't mean your sub is really in phase or perfectly "reversed". Markw is right, don't worry too much about it.

point_and_shoot
11-06-2005, 09:26 PM
I can't either....put it back the other way so I can hear it again :)

stuartlittle
11-09-2005, 10:18 PM
I'd go for the tighter sound...can you increase output by turning up the volume? My preference is for the sub to blend w/ the other speakers and not stand out, yours might be different.

bfalls
11-10-2005, 05:03 AM
I believe the phase switch is to help in sub-woofer placement. Depending where your listening position is in relation to the sub you can either be sitting in a trough (lower bass energy) or peak (higher bass energy). You can check this by using your SPL meter and checking the level with the switch in both positions. The phase switch is a "rough" adjustment. Once you determine which is louder you can move the sub in small increments to fine tune its placement. This should also help in time-alignment (low frequency note reaching the listening position at the same time as the highs and mids (phase relationship).