Will I do damage connecting 2 subs and willl it sound better? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will I do damage connecting 2 subs and willl it sound better?

Dmax
11-05-2005, 08:41 AM
I finally went and got my Pioneer 815 to replace my 411, I just have to hook it up which I'll probably do tonight but what I really want to know is if I can or should hook up another sub? I already have a Polk psw 350 sub I've had since I was 13 and it works really well for my bedroom HT set up but Best Buy had the Athena AS-P400 subs on clearance for $75.00 brand new so I had to get one even if I cant use it i'll just put it away and save it . Regular price was $399.00 for it!

kexodusc
11-05-2005, 10:46 AM
If you use a y-splitter, there should be no damage at all to the subs. However, using two, non-matching subs can be tricky. You can hook them up, but because they have different responses, and performance capabilities, it is likely that one will run out before the other. This means the bottom end of your response will be significantly lower in volume than the rest of the bass frequencies.
You can get into phase problems and cancellations too.

All that said, I'm betting you might not even notice, and if you do, it might not be a big deal at all. The added bass will fill your room nicely. Which makes you one happy camper. Nice buy!

L.J.
11-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey Kex,

What about 2 matching subs? Do you think 2 subs in a 20x15 would be overkill?

Also is there any disadvantages or downside to connecting 2?

No problems with my current setup. Just asking

Thanks

nightflier
11-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Kex,

I had read that a dedicated sub amp can compensate for this when using passive amps? I was thinking of the ones like they have on the SVS site.

So for amped subs, is there maybe a sub preamp available, probably from the pro audio side, that could do this for not too much money?

Come to think of it, isn't that what those NHT X1 sub controllers are for (although they are probably more expensive)?

kexodusc
11-08-2005, 05:51 PM
I can't think of any negatives to running 2 subs other than cost, and setup difficulties. With a bit of patience and care, I'm convinced 2 subs are better than one. My earlier experiments with non-matching subs was a big flop. It just couldn't sound right to my ears.

I've since been fortunate enough to hear systems with people who knew enough to do it the right way - matching subs.

I'm sure there's some pro-audio equipment out there, eq's and the like, that work well for running subs. I would recommend trying the $3 splitter cable first, and experimenting to see if you can't draw satisfaction that way. With matching subs it shouldn't be too difficult. If anything, they should work together against your room's acoustic problems.