DVI and HDMI [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVI and HDMI

Stewrt
01-12-2004, 05:07 AM
Anyone out there own any gear with the new HDMI connections yet. What kind of equiptment is it? What are the costs of these cables lookin like? And how do you like it?
This seems like nice idea. Take care of that wire bundle that can get to be a mess really quick.
And if this is to be the new standard why am I seeing more and more DVI inputs on gear rather than the new one (Other than it is New.. lol).

For all of you that are not aware of what it is: Sound and Vision says it will likely become the standard for digital interconnects. Video and audio through the same cable.

richieb
01-12-2004, 10:13 PM
I've not used any gear that uses it but I have my eye on some of them for future purchases.

Pioneer DV59AVI DVD player (HDMI)
Sony Cineza HS20 projector (HDMI)
Bravo D1 DVD player (DVI)
Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector (DVI)

The reason why HDMI is not as popular as DVI is because HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI and plus HDMI was a standard that is only a few months old. You can buy a cable that connects the 2 formats together. Wether its a special cable you require or "one fits all" I dont know yet.

The main benefit of DVI/HDMI is that you can get a good picture from say a Bravo D1 DVD player costing $200 that would compete with a $2000 player from Denon or Pioneer that only has component outputs. The digital source can actually talk directly with the output device giving procise info about resolutions of the output device giving you optimum performance.

The cables are pretty cheap, just do a search on google because without lengths and type of connector I couldnt possibly give you any idea of cost. One thing I do know is that there doesnt seem to be a requirement to buy a big name brand like monster because digital signals are not prone to interference like analog cables. Any marketing strategy telling you otherwise is plain nonsense.

Hope this helps.