Engineers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Engineers

ForeverAutumn
11-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Has anyone heard this band? What I've been reading about them sounds very intriguing, but I can't find any samples of their music on-line. Their website doesn't have a stream and directs you to iTunes where you can buy their music. I'd like to hear it before I buy it.

The Engineers' early-'90s shoegaze meets mid-'90s space rock is so reverent to its mistress, one wonders if the reels weren't pulled from a 4AD time capsule buried in the English countryside. The word dreamy barely begins to describe the British quartet's wind tunnel vocals, heavily chorused guitars, and swirling electronic vistas. Derivative as it may be, it's done so well that it's awfully hard to bash. Where similar groups like Elbow and Coldplay use their atmospherics to conjure up non-specific, U2-inspired anthems, the Engineers paint landscapes of icy desolation/ozone hole warmth that rival Spiritualized -- their vocal delivery owes a great deal to a certain Jason Pierce as well. Standout tracks such as "Homes," "Forgiveness," and "Said and Done" may not win the group any literary awards, but their attention to sonic detail, unabashed romanticism, and instantly engaging melodies should win them legions of fans who grow misty-eyed at the mention of the names Slowdive, the Pale Saints, or as the band points out in its bio, Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue. ~ James Christopher Monger, All Music Guide

nobody
11-05-2005, 07:55 AM
I really like it. It's got a nice laid back airy feel to it. I recommend it highly.

I'd send ya a copy, but I've only got it as MP3s...haven't seen it around the few times I've had achance to get to a record store lately. If you're interested, we can work out a way to get you the MP3 files, I'm sure. Let me know.

audiobill
11-05-2005, 08:02 AM
I really like it. It's got a nice laid back airy feel to it. I recommend it highly.

I'd send ya a copy, but I've only got it as MP3s...haven't seen it around the few times I've had achance to get to a record store lately. If you're interested, we can work out a way to get you the MP3 files, I'm sure. Let me know.

What nobody just said.
email me FA.

Cheers,

Bill

-Jar-
11-05-2005, 09:42 PM
sounds like my kind of band.. you just don't read Pale Saints name-drops all that often..

-jar

Dusty Chalk
11-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Sounds like my kind of band.

ForeverAutumn
11-06-2005, 08:23 AM
I was in one of the big, downtown, CD stores yesterday and was having trouble finding a few disks on my list. So I asked one of the employees. He looked at the list and immediately said, "that Engineers album is excellent from start to finish". It was also $24.99 :eek:.

Since Hubby was with me, I didn't take the time to pop it into a listening station. We'd already been in there about a half hour longer than he needed. I could have easily put in another half hour. :D

Thanks for the offer nobody, but I'll email Bill since he's closer.

3-LockBox
11-06-2005, 04:41 PM
However, I remember reviewers using similar language to describe The Vines last album, Winning Days, and I found that they were repetative and unoriginal, making generic indie pop and the 'trippy' side of their music was just as boring. They are commercial indie-pop pablum.

I didn't see that AMG description when I went there. Was this a new release to which you were referring?

ForeverAutumn
11-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I didn't see that AMG description when I went there. Was this a new release to which you were referring?

I actually pulled that description off of Amazon.ca.

ForeverAutumn
11-08-2005, 06:30 AM
I now have a copy of this disk on MP3. After the inaugural spin I have to say...this sure is mellow. But quite good. It may end up being a little too mellow for my taste but, on the other hand, it could be a grower.

Time will tell....

audiobill
11-08-2005, 08:28 AM
I now have a copy of this disk on MP3. After the inaugural spin I have to say...this sure is mellow. But quite good. It may end up being a little too mellow for my taste but, on the other hand, it could be a grower.

Time will tell....

Glad to see you're all hooked up.