DVD/VCR Combo Units? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD/VCR Combo Units?

Defshep
11-05-2005, 04:33 AM
As it's getting harder to find stand-alone vcrs, I was looking at some combos like Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, and Hitachi. These seem to be better constructed that the plastic vcr only models I can find, like the Sonys and Zeniths I've seen locally. This is sad since I have a Sony model that I've owned for six years, has been stepped on (and has a broken case) that still keeps on ticking, and a 4-5 year old Zenith, which is starting to warp tapes. My stepson has had a cheap Go-Video combo for over a year with no problems, but the remote sucks. Is there a such thing as a quality DVD/VCR combo? Under $200 of course!

shokhead
11-05-2005, 04:53 AM
Bit the bullet,get a DVD recorder and save what tapes you need and be done with tape. Thet are not around much longer as stores are soon to stop carring vcr's and B Buster and the likes with stop renting them.

Defshep
11-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Thanks, shok. I've decided on a DVD recorder already. I guess I just wanted a working VCR, you know, sentimental reasons. Also, there are some VHS titles that'll surely never see the light of day on disc.

thekid
11-05-2005, 07:14 AM
As it's getting harder to find stand-alone vcrs, I was looking at some combos like Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, and Hitachi. These seem to be better constructed that the plastic vcr only models I can find, like the Sonys and Zeniths I've seen locally. This is sad since I have a Sony model that I've owned for six years, has been stepped on (and has a broken case) that still keeps on ticking, and a 4-5 year old Zenith, which is starting to warp tapes. My stepson has had a cheap Go-Video combo for over a year with no problems, but the remote sucks. Is there a such thing as a quality DVD/VCR combo? Under $200 of course!

I don't own what you are looking for but I just saw a Magnavox combo over at Wal-Mart for about $65 I am thinking about it as a hook up for the guest TV. My first VCR was a Magnavox and it lasted for about 10 years. For that price you could buy 2 or 3 of them and just haul one out of the closet if it breaksdown after a couple of years :)
They also have a JVC and a couple of Panasonics so maybe you will see something you like.

Good hunting