HDTV antenna for offair channels [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV antenna for offair channels

snodog
11-04-2005, 06:51 PM
I just picked up a cheaper model of an amped RCA uhf/vhf hdtv antenna after reading about how many people use these inexpensive units and get in HD programming free. Well, I bought this with skepticism and through the process of connecting the coax cable and scanning the digital channels I realized that ..I got screwed into buying something that did absolutely nothing at all. I am taking it back where I got it but wonder if others have tried and failed to pick up anything. I also scanned the analog channels and got 3 but none came in at a watcheable level. I also tried adding local channels with the 811 dish from DN and got nothing. Oh well, I guess its no football for me.

EdwardGein
11-04-2005, 09:55 PM
As I posted earlier, my Cable Provider Time warner gives me excellent HD reception but doesn't broadcast UPN & the WB in HD & I got the impression on this board that if my HDTV had a built in tuner & I was still was connected by my cable company but also had an attena I'd be able to watch these channels in HD too. From what you're saying, I couldn't.

robert393
11-05-2005, 06:01 AM
Requirements to get Off-Air HD:
1) HD Tuner
2) HD Monitor
3) Off-Air Antenna

Now, the variables:
How far are you from the transmitted signal? Your distance from the local channel transmission will dictate how big of an antenna will be required to capture the signal.

You buy a small / cheap off-air antenna, expecting miracles, and you will be disappointed. Most likely you will require a BIG antenna, that is HIGH in the air (not a pair of "rabbit-ears" sitting on top of your set or an attic antenna).

Lots of "gimmicks" out there, but don't be fooled. From what you have said, a regular BIG off-air antenna is most likely required.

Hope this helps.......
Robert

edtyct
11-05-2005, 07:07 AM
Winegard and Terk make the most popular antennas, and many of their models have terrific success. This is not to say that a Radio Shack special won't do the trick; it often will, depending on your location and environment. Obviously, the closer you are to a transmitter, the better will be your chance to receive the signal. Between 10 to 20 miles, an indoor antenna might suffice. But unlike analog signals, which merely degrade or ghost when something gets in their way, digital ones are either present or not. If something obstructs their view, they may cut out entirely; the brickwall effect and multipath problems can be frustrating. Robert393 is correct that high antennas reduce the risks of this kind of interference considerably, but a big honking antenna on top of your roof can be unsightly, and unnecessary. Many people have success with an unobtrusive antenna inside, outside, or on a window sill or with a more obtrusive one in an attic. You'll certainly have more luck if your antenna is directional, allowing you to make adjustments for different channels, or even one channel, on the fly. I'm not recommending Terk over any other product, but if you click on the Antenna Locator at the top of Terk's main page, you'll be directed to information about the OTA stations in your area and what kind of antenna might be suitable to access them. Antennaweb.com might be the generic address for this same information. Good luck.

Ed

snodog
11-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Yes, it WAS those wasckly wabbit ears. Damn things. I am not that far away however, probably between 5-7 miles away. I cant put another antenna on top because i rent and my landlord would barely allow a dish. It is too bad the dishes dont have a built in antenna for local channels but then I guess that would be competition with their bs local channel charges. My local Best buy doesnt have the good antennas so would anyone else? Radio Shack or Target or Walmart? Or is it not worth trying unless it can be put outside?

EdwardGein
11-05-2005, 12:37 PM
You saved me alot of time, money & aggravation. Thanks

snodog
11-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Edward, I think that there might be a difference with a good quality antenna but Im not sure if it is worth it for me becuase I think I would only get one HD station. I am going to check more into it though because if there are more then I will probably invest in a good antenna.

edtyct
11-06-2005, 06:28 AM
An inside antenna is certainly worth trying if you're only seven miles away, and Radio Shack may have something. Be prepared to move it around. The site where I sent you should give you some indication of how much strength particular stations have, what level of antenna might work, and which direction(s) to face it. If Radio Shack's doesn't work, they should take it back.

Ed

snodog
11-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks, Ill check it out now and see. I did notice at BB that there were about 5 returned antennas of different kinds for resale including the one I just took back so it kind of makes me skeptical on the indoor models.

robert393
11-06-2005, 09:57 AM
I cant put another antenna on top because i rent and my landlord would barely allow a dish.

Suggestion:
Tell him you HAVE to have an antenna (roof-mount) to recieve local's in HD, assure him that you will have it professionally installed, and offer him a deposit for any damages.

Bet you he will go for it!
Robert