QUESTION about a PROJECTOR bulb [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION about a PROJECTOR bulb

sjdistributors
11-04-2005, 06:20 PM
When a bulb is replaced in a projector (let's say a DLP projector, like the InFocus 4805 - just for example), is the projected image "like new" again or does the new bulb show the wear and tear of other parts?

Here's why I ask - I wouldn't mind paying a couple of hundred dollars 2 - 3 years down the road for a new bulb if it made the projected image look as good as it did from day one. If other parts, like the mirrors, are much longer lasting than the bulb then it seems this might be logical reasoning.

However, if other parts of the projector degrade but don't necessarily require replacing but their degradation causes a visible difference in the image then replacing the bulb for a less than new looking picture would make less sense.

Hopefully, my question makes sense. :confused:

edtyct
11-04-2005, 07:28 PM
The bulb is really the only element in a DLP to degrade. The optics and the mirrors on the chips are safe unless you hit them with a sledgehammer. The mirror hinges are mechanical, but rigorous testing has found them all but indestructable. DMDs have been subjected to all manner of indignity--heat, cold, shock, moisture, etc.--and they have withstood every test. Flukes happen, but the overwhelming probability is that, apart from the bulb, which will last about 8,000 hrs., a DLP projector should continue to operate without a hitch indefinitely.

Ed

robert393
11-05-2005, 05:48 AM
The bulb is really the only element in a DLP to degrade. The optics and the mirrors on the chips are safe unless you hit them with a sledgehammer. The mirror hinges are mechanical, but rigorous testing has found them all but indestructable. DMDs have been subjected to all manner of indignity--heat, cold, shock, moisture, etc.--and they have withstood every test. Flukes happen, but the overwhelming probability is that, apart from the bulb, which will last about 8,000 hrs., a DLP projector should continue to operate without a hitch indefinitely.

Ed

Good info, and Ed is "right-on" with his assessment. The only thing I could add to this is the fact that bulb life is closer to 3000hrs (or 1-2 yrs depending on your viewing).

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus_Home-ScreenPlay_4805.htm

When I replace my bulb (about 1x per hr) I notice a significant difference. The picture is much brighter & sharper. More "crisp".

A caution regarding bulb life. If you don't change the bulb as required, you run a risk of damaging or destroying your projector. The bulb gets EXTREMELY HOT, so once the bulb life has expired, the bulb becomes susceptible to actually bursting, and in which case you would have glass framents throughout your projector......not a good thing!

I follow the suggested bulb replacement schedule precisely to avoid damages as well as having a new bulb with a brighter a crisper picture!

Hope this helps........
Robert

sjdistributors
11-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Hey guys, I really appreciate the information - it's exactly what I was hoping to hear. :D

Back to my search...

dammers31
09-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi guys,
Ive got a problem that although isnt the same it is close...
I bought my Infocus SP 4805 projector two years ago and it has been wonderful.
A couple of weeks ago it wouldnt turn on and I figured the lamp had expired.
I checked my manual and the Trouble Shooting area informed me that if the unit will not throw a beam and the LED light blinks twice rapidly then the lamp is gone...
It did say I should have been informed of this forthcoming event in the Start Up, but it either didnt inform me or I was not alert enough!
So I bought a replacement lamp off E-bay. Living in Melbourne Australia there wasnt a supplier locally to use.
Carefully following instructions I have replaced the lamp, but unfortunately I still have the same problem. Either the lamp is no good or there is a step missing in the Lamp Replacement process.
Anybody have any ideas?
I would be very grateful for any advice at all.
cheers
Damien

InFocus Discount Guy
10-10-2007, 09:16 AM
You should call us to have this issue checked out. Our support number is 800-799-9911 or the Australia division at (61) 02 9959-2375.

If you have a US address we sell the remanufactured SP-4805 for less than the lamp, so that may be a better option since either way it will have a 90 day warranty.

InFocus Discount Guy
10-10-2007, 09:18 AM
A caution regarding bulb life. If you don't change the bulb as required, you run a risk of damaging or destroying your projector. The bulb gets EXTREMELY HOT, so once the bulb life has expired, the bulb becomes susceptible to actually bursting, and in which case you would have glass framents throughout your projector......not a good thing! Robert
The projector has filters and screens to prevent the fragments from destroying the projector. The rupture of a lamp can occurr prior to the rated lamp life is reached. We typically say to run it till it fails to light or dimms to where the image quality is below you standards.