British speakers and Yamaha [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : British speakers and Yamaha

littleb
11-17-2003, 06:53 AM
I have read on some other audio forums that some individuals believe B&W and Mission speakers do not match well with Yamaha receivers. I also had a negative experience with B&W and Yamaha. Why would a speaker sound great with a certain brand amp and lousy with another brand?

bturk667
11-17-2003, 08:28 AM
Synergy is a vital issue when you assemble a system. Not all components sound good together. You have to find components that work well together, and build off of each others sound. It'a almost like a balancing act. This is why home demoing (is that a word, demoing?) of products is paramount when assemblimg a system.

RGA
11-17-2003, 06:03 PM
As bturk667 mentions sybergy is important and so is room acoustics, speaker placement.

Manypeople feel that some amplifiers are on the bright side and mating them to aspeaker that also leans a little to the bright side can be a disaster. Whether that applies or not to your listening is another matter. Where possible I would try avoiding receivers with higher end speakers as they can tell you more about what is lacking in the rest of the set-up. B&W is typically sold with better gear like Rotel. Though the B&W's 600 and 300 series are shifting to home theater mainly. A good receiver should be fine...I would take Yamaha, personally, of most of the others like Denon's 3803 which is expensive and lifeless.

If you absolutely MUST buy a receiver this site can help. They review all their receivers in a blind session. The models are one year old or so but all the Japanese, American Receivers sound the same from one year to the next...only features, usually useless ones(to me anyway), are added and of course the price goes up. http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_list.asp?category=AMP&subcategory=MULTI

mtrycrafts
11-18-2003, 10:48 PM
I have read on some other audio forums that some individuals believe B&W and Mission speakers do not match well with Yamaha receivers. I also had a negative experience with B&W and Yamaha. Why would a speaker sound great with a certain brand amp and lousy with another brand?

Bias for one will lead you to think this. Speaker load may not be suitable to all amps and may cause problems to an amp not designed to drive difficult loads.

I bet you didn't do a proper comparison where youyr biases were accounted for, like a blind listeing, levels matched, etc.

Otherwise, synergy is just another audio BS hype.