need a center...thinking Klipsch [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : need a center...thinking Klipsch

venkman
11-03-2005, 10:30 PM
I currently have a Bose center and I can never hear enough dialog during movies and it has otherwise been a disapointment. I have had 2 KG3.5 for years and have always liked the way they sound. I have a new Onkyo TXSR703 on the way and I want to upgrade my center. I am looking at the Synergy and Reference centers but was looking for some guidance. I can't find a store in my area that has reference centers, BB has the synergy ones. Is there a real quality upgrade going to the reference? I was leaning towards the synergy C-3 but can't compare it to the reference. Or should I just move to another brand all together? I always appreciate your sage like advice.

Worf101
11-04-2005, 06:43 AM
I've had several over the years and am currently using the massive Klipsch C-7 as my center channel. It's just bright and clear and never fails to deliver audible dialogue and a surprising amount of bass.

Da Worfster :D

Andy Safholm
11-04-2005, 10:32 AM
I currently have a Bose center and I can never hear enough dialog during movies and it has otherwise been a disapointment. I have had 2 KG3.5 for years and have always liked the way they sound. I have a new Onkyo TXSR703 on the way and I want to upgrade my center. I am looking at the Synergy and Reference centers but was looking for some guidance. I can't find a store in my area that has reference centers, BB has the synergy ones. Is there a real quality upgrade going to the reference? I was leaning towards the synergy C-3 but can't compare it to the reference. Or should I just move to another brand all together? I always appreciate your sage like advice.

I currently own the Klipsch RC-35 center channel. I upgraded and I love the sound. The dialog is crisp and very clear. The center also delivers good bass for a center. I would definitely recommend the Klipsch center.

Good Luck!!

Woochifer
11-04-2005, 09:22 PM
The Synergy center speakers would probably be a better match for the Klipsch KG series speakers from the mid-90s. The Reference series is more refined and toned down, and as such, might not tonally match the KG models, which tend to have a hotter high end and punchier sound overall. With center speakers, the key is how well they tonally match with the main speakers. The Reference center speaker very well might sound better by itself, but that does not matter one bit because its more subdued tonal characteristics will likely not mesh as well with the brasher sounding KG main speakers.

Either way though, you get a huge improvement by swapping out to a Klipsch center speaker. Bose center speakers aren't even a good match for other Bose speakers. In the short term, I think that you will get much better performance by just switching the center channel off. No center speaker is better than going with a mismatched center speaker.

point_and_shoot
11-05-2005, 08:31 PM

Although Klipsch is not my brand of choice I did once own a Klipsch Rc-25 center channel speaker. It was very bright (almost too much for me) and detailed, so I am sure if not being able to hear the dialog was your problem this would be a great choice for you. It had a nice fit and finish as well. I sold it on ebay for around $185.00 in mint condition.

venkman
11-05-2005, 11:01 PM
thanks for all your input. Now I just need to find an authorized dealer.