M83 > Sex [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : M83 > Sex

Dusty Chalk
01-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Yes, that's right, "...better than sex".

Finally picked up on this long-time Masonjar recommendation, Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts, by M83. OMG! This is so good. So many blissful moments -- the opening notes of track two, others. I really liked the combination of retro synthesizers and shoegazer songwriting/sensibility. The production isn't as completely over-the-top saturated in reverb as the classic shoegazer recordings, but still...enough to completely subdue the vocals (what are they singing?). The production actually makes me think of Steve Albini a little bit -- the minimalism adds a "starkness" to the recording that appeals to me.

Reminds me of Stereolab doing a Slowdive cover, with a touch of Kraftwerk thrown in (but then, that's kind of redundant, mentioning Stereolab). Oh, and Curve's "Unreadable Breakdown" definitely comes to mind. This album is like one long version of that track. Well, alright, it's got more variety and songs than one song, but ... you get the idea. The aurgasm factor is definitely there.

Mason -- you have to hear Shape of Despair.

Finch Platte
01-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Yes, that's right, "...better than sex".

Finally picked up on this long-time Masonjar rec (Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts). OMG! This is so good. So many blissful moments -- the opening notes of track two, others. I really liked the combination of retro synthesizers and shoegazer songwriting/sensibility. The production isn't as completely over-the-top saturated in reverb as the classic shoegazer recordings, but still...enough to completely subdue the vocals (what are they singing?). The production actually makes me think of Steve Albini a little bit -- the minimalism adds a "starkness" to the recording that appeals to me.

Reminds me of Stereolab doing a Slowdive cover, with a touch of Kraftwerk thrown in (but then, that's kind of redundant, mentioning Stereolab). Oh, and Curve's "Unreadable Breakdown" definitely comes to mind. This album is like one long version of that track. Well, alright, it's got more variety and songs than one song, but ... you get the idea. The aurgasm factor is definitely there.

Mason -- you have to hear Shape of Despair.

Greater than.

I don't get it. Is the name of the band M83? And what's 'rec'? Recommendation? Or recording? Mason sent it to you and you finally picked it up? So (Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts) is the name of a disc released by N92, err, M83?

And why is it sensible?

fp

Dusty Chalk
01-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Greater than, better than...whatever. Pedant.

I think I cleared up the rest of your questions. Except for the "sensible" one, which wasn't.

Finch Platte
01-13-2004, 04:08 AM
Pedant: One who emphasizes trivial points of learning.

Thanks for the new word!

fp