Shootout: Paradigm Signature S2 vs. Dynaudio Focus 110 vs. B & W Nautilus 805 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shootout: Paradigm Signature S2 vs. Dynaudio Focus 110 vs. B & W Nautilus 805

telefunken_pq
11-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Hello to our fellow audiophiles,

Shootout:

Paradigm Signature S2 vs. Dynaudio Focus 110 vs. B & W Nautilus 805

Here are three bookshelf speakers from renowed world-class makers. We need expert input and insight as to virtues and strengths of these three different designs. We need to determine
which one emerges as the class winner!

telefunken_pq

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

System:

California Audio Labs Delta Transport
California Audio Labs Alpha DAC
Cary Audio SLP50B Tube Preamp
Classe Audio CA150 SS Amp
Dynaudio Focus 110 Esotec
Telefunken 12AX7 matched tubes (DAC)
Siemens 6922 Gold Pins matched tubes (preamp)
Nordost Interconnects & Speaker Cable

SlumpBuster
11-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Umm... who is "we"?

Woochifer
11-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Better solution --

Borrow them from some local dealers, compare them yourself at home, then tell us what you think about them!

I doubt that anyone on this board has done the kind of comparison you're looking for. I've heard the S2 and Nautilus 805, but not at the same time nor in the same room, so any assessment that I can offer up would VERY inconclusive at best. Just based on my listenings, I would probably prefer the 805, but that's based on my preferences and sources, and nothing else. If I compare them at home on my system at the same time, then my conclusion very well might be different.

dean_martin
11-03-2005, 04:51 PM

Shootout:

Here are three bookshelf speakers from renowed world-class makers. We need expert input and insight as to virtues and strengths of these three different designs. We need to determine

telefunken_pq

System:

AHHHH...I thought YOU were about to tell US about YOUR comparisons. We haven't had a good shootout here in a while.

telefunken_pq
11-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Thanks for your reply Woochifer.

I've listened to both the S2 and the Focus 110. The Paradigm now retails at $1600 and the Focus 110 a new model from Dynaudio at $1400. The Dynaudio's main strength is the high frequency driver-the new Esotec. The Paradigm S2 is not that better to it's half-priced stable mate Paradigm Reference Studio 20 V.3 which retails at $800 and can be had at a discounted price of $680, an awesome deal. Both are excellent speakers. I have never listened to a B&W Nautilus 805, which is now reported to sell at steal price of $1600. The S2, Focus 110, and the Nautilus now are about the same price level. As I have mentioned I haven't heard the Nautilus yet, and between the Focus 110 and the S2, the Dynaudio is a winner by a wide margin.

accastil
03-03-2006, 03:49 AM
dyna audio..paradigm...b&w..in that order.

Pat D
03-03-2006, 05:44 AM

Shootout:

telefunken_pq

System:

Below, you say you prefer the Dynaudio Focus 110 to the Paradigm S2, so why ask us? I haven't heard the particular Dynaudio model.

Personally, I would prefer the smooth, uncoloured sound, spaciousness, and invisibility of the Paradigm S2 to the B & W 805N and the Dynaudio 1.3, which I have heard. But the B & W 805N is a very good speaker, and I expect the Dynaudio Focus 110 is also very good speaker, too. I love the Paradigm Signature S2, which I have heard several times, but they are all high quality manufacturers and you can hardly go wrong picking the ones you find you like best.

RGA
03-04-2006, 10:43 AM
The best I can do on this is to possibly compare two of the three in the same room witht he same gear. Pick a winner. The listen to the winner versus the other speaker at a different dealer.

The reason is that few dealers will carry all three of these lines. Paradigm and B&W are sold in one store here and at another dealer B&W and Dynaudio might be sold. But then you have the problem as to whether they carry the specific models. Some of the smaller places have told me that they only carry the floorstanders because despite the adverts in the magazines (AKA reviews) customers are beecoming unimpressed with the standmounts and prefer the bigger bass and more dynamic ease of their larger floorstanders.

And you and I could go and listen to all three and both pick different speakers as best or even in the opposite order if we ranked them. On your list I have only heard the N805 and I have already heard 4 other standmount speakers from 3 other companies that I prefer to the N805 and I could probably add a few more if I can place floorstanders and planars on the list. In fact if I can add floorstanders I definitly could finsd at least another 5 speakers for the same or less money that I would take over the N805.

I'm going to Vancouver on Thursday and will try to get to all three big audio dealers down there. See what they carry.

Dharris
04-17-2006, 12:07 PM
I have heard them all in the same room with the same amps from the same chair. To be honest with you, the dyns sounded best, but all were nirvana to my ears. If you live in the Pasadena / LA area, Sound Factor is your store.