I need help in choosing an AV receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need help in choosing an AV receiver

mrmeowie
11-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Hi.
I am currently upgrading my audio system. I have just purchased 2 Monitor Audio floor silver- S6's, 1-RS LCR, and a Velodyne DLS-R 3750 sub. I don't have any rear channel speakers. I may add those in the future. I would appreciate a recommendation/advice from you on choice of a receiver. I have had conflicting advice on the receiver. My current receiver is an Onkyo TX-84. It is not even 5.1 channel. I have been happy with the Onkyo brand. I would like to have the choice to listen to surround sound. I would like to have a minimum of 5.1, but 6.1 or 7.1 would be ok.
The three receivers that were recommended were; Yamaha RX-V757, Onkyo TXSR 603X, and the Denon AVR-2106.

I was told by the salesman recommending the Denon that the Yamaha would be too harsh for the Monitor Audio speakers. He also suggested looking at Harman Kardon or Pioneer but he didn't give any model #'s. My prime concern is the speakers. That is why I purchased them first. I would like a receiver that will compliment them. My price range in US dollars is $400-700. I am not an audiophile, but I do enjoy listening to good sounding music and watching DVD's. I would welcome any advice you may have, either from personal experience or whatever.

Since the Monitor Audio speakers are listed at nominal impedance of 6 ohms, how does that play into finding a receiver? I have seen a few receivers that the minimal impedance was listed at 8 ohms. I am not very clear on this part.

Thanks in advance

=^..^=

vxaudio
11-02-2005, 08:41 PM
dont know how they will be with those speakers, but the pioneer 815 and 1015 have alot of great reviews. i had an onkyo 602 and just got a pioneer 815 and it seems to be beating the onkyo in every category thats imp to me. i got the 815 for a sweet deal at bb, open box for 200. the 1015(500 @bb) has alot more overhead, component switching. beyond that, the 815 has most the same features. auto setup mic decent. i only needed to make a few minor changes on the 5 band eq. and of course it set my fronts to large. has a pretty warm sound IMO

paul_pci
11-02-2005, 09:16 PM
That salesman is an idiot. Yamaha rules and I'll hear no dissent on the matter.

Eric Z
11-03-2005, 04:25 AM
You probably won't hear much of a difference between similar levels receivers. I listened to Denons and Yamahas with the exact same speaker set-up and couldn't hear much of a difference. Some say Yamahas used to sound 'bright' or 'harsh,' but not anymore.

I prefer the Yamaha- I have a step below the 757 and love it- the YPAO saves a bunch of time and you don't need to know anything about SPL meters and that kind of crap. You might need to make small adjustments afterwards, but usually nothing major (i.e. I had to adjust the distance for my subwoofer).

Overall, as long as you go with a good brand (Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer), you'll be in good shape.

Also, compare the 757 to the 657 and see if you need the additional option on the 757. It's always good to look one model above and below to see if the extras are worth the cash.

Fyi, for a price perspective, you should be able to get the Yamaha 657 for under $425 (msrp is $499) and the 757 for about $525 (msrp is $599).

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Enjoy!
Eric

accastil
11-26-2005, 02:11 AM
hi, make use of your ears and you will never go wrong...here are the options im giving you: marantz, harman kardon, pioneer...any of these 3 will provide you satisfaction in both music and ht. its really up to your ears which of these 3 suits your taste. forget about denons, onkyos and yamahas...they would just dissapoint you as you listen to disco or rock music.

GMichael
11-26-2005, 05:42 AM
You probably won't hear much of a difference between similar levels receivers. I listened to Denons and Yamahas with the exact same speaker set-up and couldn't hear much of a difference. Some say Yamahas used to sound 'bright' or 'harsh,' but not anymore.

I prefer the Yamaha- I have a step below the 757 and love it- the YPAO saves a bunch of time and you don't need to know anything about SPL meters and that kind of crap. You might need to make small adjustments afterwards, but usually nothing major (i.e. I had to adjust the distance for my subwoofer).

Overall, as long as you go with a good brand (Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer), you'll be in good shape.

Also, compare the 757 to the 657 and see if you need the additional option on the 757. It's always good to look one model above and below to see if the extras are worth the cash.

Fyi, for a price perspective, you should be able to get the Yamaha 657 for under $425 (msrp is $499) and the 757 for about $525 (msrp is $599).

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Enjoy!
Eric

This is the best advice.

Hawkeye
11-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Though this chart is bit older now, it can be a bit enlightening. In the end, however, let you ears decide. They are the only spec that truly matters.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm?20055

GMichael
11-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Though this chart is bit older now, it can be a bit enlightening. In the end, however, let you ears decide. They are the only spec that truly matters.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm?20055

Nice chart. I'd like to dig up a later version.