Can I run a sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can I run a sub?

calegrant
11-02-2005, 04:09 PM
I have a fairly old Reciever but I want to run a sub. The reciever puts out plenty of power, but it doesn't have a sub specific output. It only has two mains, and two remote speaker jacks. Can I run a sub off of a speaker jack, or should I invest in a newer amp and worry about a sub later?

LMB
11-02-2005, 07:59 PM
I would invest in a new receiver and worry about a sub later
Good Guys is going out of business and they have some good deals on Denon,Pioneer Elite Yamaha receivers

Have fun shopping

markw
11-03-2005, 04:30 AM
I have a fairly old Reciever but I want to run a sub. The reciever puts out plenty of power, but it doesn't have a sub specific output. It only has two mains, and two remote speaker jacks. Can I run a sub off of a speaker jack, or should I invest in a newer amp and worry about a sub later?Most do. Just check before you buy.

shokhead
11-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Instead of speakers wires from receiver and sub from receiver it would be speakers wires to sub and then to receiver.

bikehikefish
11-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Connect your receivers speaker output to the speaker level input in the sub, the run the speaker output from the sub to your speakers. Set the crossover on the sub appropriately.

But you still won't have 5.1 sound, so a new receiver, as suggested above, is the best way to go.

markw
11-03-2005, 08:34 AM
But you still won't have 5.1 sound, so a new receiver, as suggested above, is the best way to go.I'm running a sub off my Marantz 2270. Just because one only has two channels does not mean one should be denied the use of a sub. That's why many come with a left/right line in and speaker inputs.

bikehikefish
11-03-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm running a sub off my Marantz 2270. Just because one only has two channels does not mean one should be denied the use of a sub. That's why many come with a left/right line in and speaker inputs.

True, and with a receiver that doesn't have a sub pre-out, there's no reason you shouldn't wire it that way.

But you can get better sound (in theory) by using a receiver with the sub pre-out. This frees up the amp from putting out those frequencies below the crossover setting and cleans up the mids and highs.

(This is the way it was explained to me, anyway)

markw
11-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Others say that subs work better off of the speaker inputs, even in an HT environment. I believe MAtthew Polk even stated that their sub works best (at least with their speakers) run from a speaker level since the crossover in the sub knows what's best for them. Who knows?

But, when used as a speaker level device, the sub doesn't act as a traditional speaker load. The amp "sees" a much higher impedance at the low frequencies that are channeled to the sub's internal amp so the actual load on the amp is less at the bass frequencies than you would think. IOW, the amp ain't exactly sweating while passing thru the bass frequencies. In fact, it's not even breathing hard.

FWIW, I use the LFE out on my Denon to the one sub and the speaker level for my other sub on the 2270. Of course, since the sub on the 2270 is passive so there's not really too much choice. ;) Occasionally I do consider a plate amp but it's fine for now.