Simple A/D conversion, a crime? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Simple A/D conversion, a crime?

nightflier
11-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Sorry for the questionable language in the article, but I thought it had a chilling enough message.

Paraphrased from:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/02/analog_hole/

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Hollywood is running another batch of ersatz legislation up the flagpole. These aren't bills destined for the floor of the House so much as discussion documents intended to gauge Congressional reaction at a copyright panel hosted by the House Judiciary Committee later this week. Of the three drafts circulated for review, two are predictable - seeking the re-introduction of the broadcast flag for digital TV broadcasts and its introduction into digital satellite radio broadcasts.

But the third is a spectacularly optimistic punt that seeks to restrict the import, sale or distribution of equipment that performs analog to digital conversions. Simple A to D, a crime? Yes, indeed - in some circumstances. Entitled the "Analog Hole Legislation Discussion Draft" the paper proposes the introduction of an "Analog Content Security Preservation Act Of 2005", amending Title 35 of the US Code. It would give the US Patent and Trademarks Office the job of enforcing the CGMS-A rights system used on PAL broadcasts (In the digital successor to analog, these are handled by our old friend CPRM.)

We have to wait until Thursday to guage the reaction of Congressmen, but we can already imagine the reaction of the USPTO, as it's unexpectedly invited into a new role as hardware inspector.
__________________________________________________ ______________________

Let's hope those old white-haired ludite congressmen don't buy into this one...

hermanv
11-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Of the corporations, by the corporations, for the corporations. The best government money can buy.

This industry fought cassette recording tooth and nail only to discover their sales went way up. They fought VHS tooth and nail only to discover their sales went way up. DVD and now HiDef, 99 year copyrights?

These clowns would have had Guttenberg locked up for promoting illegal copying. Libraries wouldn't exist.

These same people who promoted the CD because it could hold 75 minutes of sound have no trouble selling you a CD that doesn't mention that this one has only 27 minutes of total music anwywhere on the outside.

The same industry who mastered an SACD album from a redbook digital stream.

These people whose only concern is protecting the intellectual property of the mindless vapid "performers" they peddle.

Let me think about this, and maybe I'll tell you how I really feel.