Sound problems when watching DVDs thru 2 speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sound problems when watching DVDs thru 2 speakers?

Hyfi
11-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Lately while watching movies I am finding that the background music and effects are way louder than the dialog. I can hardly hear what anyone is saying in movies anymore. Just mumbling. If I turn it up, the music just drowns out the voices more.

I am guessing this is because these dics are intended to be viewed thru a Home Theater and not just 2 speaker systems.

Anyone else notice this or have any insight?

Hyfi

GMichael
11-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Lately while watching movies I am finding that the background music and effects are way louder than the dialog. I can hardly hear what anyone is saying in movies anymore. Just mumbling. If I turn it up, the music just drowns out the voices more.

I am guessing this is because these dics are intended to be viewed thru a Home Theater and not just 2 speaker systems.

Hyfi

This seems to be common for a lot of people. What kind of system are you using? Is it an HT or stereo only?

Hyfi
11-02-2005, 08:39 AM
This seems to be common for a lot of people. What kind of system are you using? Is it an HT or stereo only?

I am using stereo only system. Due to too many connections, I am not using my tv speakers with the dvd player. When I play VHS tapes, I am able to use both stereo and tv speakers and it seems to be a bit better.

It's almost no fun to watch movies anymore since I can't hear what anyone is saying.

Troy
11-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I think I'm one of the last guys to use 2 channel with TV/DVD and have not noticed this problem at all. The TV spks are off.

Hyfi
11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
I think I'm one of the last guys to use 2 channel with TV/DVD and have not noticed this problem at all. The TV spks are off.

Oh Good...Now I have it narrowed down to my whole playback system. I guess sometimes a revealing system has it's drawbacks.

Do you use an equalizer?

Davey
11-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Are you definitely cabled to the 2-channel analog outputs and not the multichannel? Or are you using the digital output? Is there a menu configuration for 2-channel audio? Lots of times there are 2-channel compression (lower dynamic range) or synthesis options to improve the dialog clarity without a center channel. Or maybe your hearing is on the fritz ;)

Hyfi
11-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Are you definitely cabled to the 2-channel analog outputs and not the multichannel? Or are you using the digital output? Is there a menu configuration for 2-channel audio? Lots of times there are 2-channel compression (lower dynamic range) or synthesis options to improve the dialog clarity without a center channel. Or maybe your hearing is on the fritz ;)

What?

My systems only have 2 channel capability. I have noticed that some movies offer sound settings but not lately. I'll keep looking.

What?

Davey
11-02-2005, 02:28 PM
What?

My systems only have 2 channel capability. I have noticed that some movies offer sound settings but not lately. I'll keep looking.

What?
Is it a really old DVD player because even many of the cheapies have had multi-channel analog outputs for a long time? Does it only have 2 audio analog outputs with multi-channel only via the digital output to a multi-channel receiver or processor? I'd still check the menus and see if any setup is available to improve the dialog if you are all connected right. Sometimes the DVD players can be set to downsample to 2-channel from the multi-channel mix. Maybe you are playing the 5.1 section and downsampling instead of playing the 2-channel mix, when available on the disc.

newtrix1
11-02-2005, 05:35 PM

Hyfi

Sorry, I have no answers (I checked most of what Davey said & I don't think it's a setup issue) but I am a fellow sufferer. I generally keep the remote in hand with my finger on the volume; dialog up 2 a few notches...background effects/music..I drop down a few notches.

P-i-t-a.! :mad: It really should be opposoite of the way it is; dialog should be easy to hear and background sounds should be just that!

Troy
11-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Oh Good...Now I have it narrowed down to my whole playback system. I guess sometimes a revealing system has it's drawbacks.

Do you use an equalizer?

Heavens to mergatroid, no.