self-powered studio monitors [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : self-powered studio monitors

jehufan
01-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Teach me, for I am not wise in the ways of the Audiophile...

I'm a newbie and I'm looking for some input from someone with more experience than myself. I used to work as a sound man in a small club, and I have a little background in the pro-audio and sound reinforcement area. I'm not a pro mind you, but I know my way around a mixing board and some of the basics of live sound. That experience gave me a taste of the pro-audio world. Now that I'm out of college (and I have a good paying job) I've become interested in buying a high quality stereo system (~$1500 total).

I've been looking at some of the pro-audio self-powered studio monitors for use in a home stereo application. The Mackie HR824 / HR624 and Alesis Pro Linear models look particular interesting to me. They're in the same price range as some of the mid-range audiophile speakers, and yet the audiophile crowd seems to show little or no interest in this speaker market. I'm curious why the audiophiles ignore these seemingly high quality / high performance speakers. Are studio monitors a bad choice for home stereo use? I realize that the speakers are for mixing and studio use, but is there some reason they wouldn't be a good choice for casual listening?

TinHere
01-11-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure, but I think that the studio monitors are designed more for "near field" listening than a home theater environment. Another reason for not having powered speakers is the required processing that is often done with receivers, although it can be done with a pre-pro. Equiptment is designed for different applications and purchasing with that in mind IMHO is a good idea.

Geoffcin
01-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Teach me, for I am not wise in the ways of the Audiophile...

I'm a newbie and I'm looking for some input from someone with more experience than myself. I used to work as a sound man in a small club, and I have a little background in the pro-audio and sound reinforcement area. I'm not a pro mind you, but I know my way around a mixing board and some of the basics of live sound. That experience gave me a taste of the pro-audio world. Now that I'm out of college (and I have a good paying job) I've become interested in buying a high quality stereo system (~$1500 total).

I've been looking at some of the pro-audio self-powered studio monitors for use in a home stereo application. The Mackie HR824 / HR624 and Alesis Pro Linear models look particular interesting to me. They're in the same price range as some of the mid-range audiophile speakers, and yet the audiophile crowd seems to show little or no interest in this speaker market. I'm curious why the audiophiles ignore these seemingly high quality / high performance speakers. Are studio monitors a bad choice for home stereo use? I realize that the speakers are for mixing and studio use, but is there some reason they wouldn't be a good choice for casual listening?

For $1500 you can get a decent stereo. Forget about pro audio self-powered speaks though. These are made for specifically for studios, and are designed for nearfield applications. The're are some very good ones, but for home stereo they are not what the doctor ordered. (for your computer YES!) Most pro gear is also made to take XLR, or TRS connectors that you will not find on most consumer electronics.

You ARE doing the right thing looking for speakers first. I think you should go to a few stores are check out speakers to see what you like.
With a $1500 budget I would allot 50% or more for speakers. Don't overlook the used market. http://audiogon.com/
You can find some great bargains there. Good luck!