Interesting news about Apogee speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting news about Apogee speakers

Geoffcin
11-01-2005, 05:15 PM
http://audioworld.com/sw/Forum1/HTML/004835.html

GMichael
11-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Well, it's great that they will be available again, in a way. Maybe even better than before. But they sound like they will be a little pricey for me.

Let me know when you are selling those 3.6's.

Florian
11-02-2005, 03:03 AM
Yup, Perigee and Graz are making ribbon and anything Apogee related since years. New CNC machiened ribbons, high powered Rare Earth Neodynium Magnets will be in the new Perigees. If you see a used Apogee on audiogon or ebay go ahead and buy them. Refurbish them and you will have one of the worlds best speaker systems which are still treasures and very highly aclaimed from Audiophiles all around the world. Ofcourse they are all fullrange employ the fastest and lightest ribbons in the world. Dont expect to find these used on ebay or somewhere, they are build to order for SERIOUS customers and audiophiles who want the limit and can afford them. They are very heavy, and have steel frames just like the other Apogees and are handbuild and hand matched. The legends in sound will live again and have 98db sensitivity and a easy impedance. Use tube amplifiers with them, actively biamp them. No coloration, fill large rooms and just like the Apogees experience real low bass without the help of room nodes and coloration like some other speaker companys. No cheap wooden sides with no stuffing or other silly things. Buy from a company that published frequency response measurements and have actual data. Measurements of Apogees that show the truth and facts are avaliable from our group. Perigee Definitve weighs in at over 1200lbs per speaker, and all the smaller ones are coming from that flagship and statement in speaker design.

-Flo

GMichael
11-02-2005, 06:20 AM
1200lbs per speaker? Please say that this is a typo. Over a ton per pair? What's the freight charge on that? Close to my whole system is my guess.

Florian
11-02-2005, 06:30 AM
1200lbs per speaker? Please say that this is a typo. Over a ton per pair? What's the freight charge on that? Close to my whole system is my guess. Nope that is not a typo. Full steal frame, magnetic line structures featuering rare earth magnets and the tightest tollerance it is the ultimate speaker. The whole covers are made from stone in any color you want. Fully acive with PEDQX and needs 6 channels of amplification. Has a sensitive of 98db and you can use 18wpc to blow your ears out. Over 7ft tall! 145000$ a pair and i guess a couple of thousand in shipping. Yes that is a insane price but to quote Allen Wreight the mastermind of vacuumstate "The Definitve is the finest speaker i have ever heard in my life". Graz has run bass tests on the Definitve and put a crack in a concrete wall in his house in Australia. Like i always say, Fullrange ribbon speakers with the tighest tollerance made for perfectionist who only care about music and nothing else. I asume the new one will be around 25K in that area.

:-)

PS: My DIVA with the new bases comes in at 286lbs a speaker. No wooden enclosure, just pure steel frames and magnets with aluminum.

GMichael
11-02-2005, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure if my pool table even weighs that much. It's only got a 1" slab of slate 4 foot wide by 8 foot long.

Perfection is expensive. Do they have an "almost perfection" line?

Florian
11-02-2005, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure if my pool table even weighs that much. It's only got a 1" slab of slate 4 foot wide by 8 foot long.

Perfection is expensive. Do they have an "almost perfection" line? Yes he does. It just has been released but no pricing yet. We estimate it to be around 25000$ but it will take a few more days until its all out. He has a hybrid speaker which received very good reviews from Ken Kessler a big guru reviewer in england, he also has a Apogee Scintilla personally. I think that one is around 9000$. Apogee are far from sheep and unfortunatly uneducated people take a cheap shot at Apogee since the company went out of buisiness but dont know the real reason. The new prices are inline with the old ones.

-Flo

GMichael
11-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Yes he does. It just has been released but no pricing yet. We estimate it to be around 25000$ but it will take a few more days until its all out. He has a hybrid speaker which received very good reviews from Ken Kessler a big guru reviewer in england, he also has a Apogee Scintilla personally. I think that one is around 9000$. Apogee are far from sheep and unfortunatly uneducated people take a cheap shot at Apogee since the company went out of buisiness but dont know the real reason. The new prices are inline with the old ones.

-Flo

hmmmm... maybe I need to take up a cheeper hobby.

Florian
11-02-2005, 07:56 AM
hmmmm... maybe I need to take up a cheeper hobby.
Well there are many good speakers for a much saner price like the Magnepan 1.6 but for the Higher regions those speakers are considered a bargain. The 10000$ i paid for my restored DIVA was a bargain too.

-Flo

PS: Just go slow and upgrade.

GMichael
11-02-2005, 07:57 AM
Well there are many good speakers for a much saner price like the Magnepan 1.6 but for the Higher regions those speakers are considered a bargain. The 10000$ i paid for my restored DIVA was a bargain too.

-Flo

PS: Just go slow and upgrade.

OK, but at least with my pool hobby, I would win more money back at tournaments than I spent on equipment.

Baby steps, I know. Maggies are still on the short list.

Florian
11-02-2005, 08:04 AM
OK, but at least with my pool hobby, I would win more money back at tournaments than I spent on equipment.

Baby steps, I know. Maggies are still on the short list.
You know just like i said, the Maggie 1.6 is a speaker i could easily live with and never look back. Maybe i wouldnt be a target for constant rants about owning a expensive system and could defend the facts of the speakers.

-Flo

GMichael
11-02-2005, 09:00 AM
You know just like i said, the Maggie 1.6 is a speaker i could easily live with and never look back. Maybe i wouldnt be a target for constant rants about owning a expensive system and could defend the facts of the speakers.

-Flo

People will be people. Try not to let them get under your skin. Some of them live just to piss others off. If you get mad, then they won. If you blow it off and laugh, then they'll be the ones who get pissed.

Bernd
11-02-2005, 10:21 AM
People will be people. Try not to let them get under your skin. Some of them live just to piss others off. If you get mad, then they won. If you blow it off and laugh, then they'll be the ones who get pissed.

I second that. Don't give them the power to annoy you.

Peace

Bernd

I rather have my mind opened by wonder than closed by belief.