Quality DVD Recorders, any suggestions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quality DVD Recorders, any suggestions?

L.J.
11-01-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm looking to buy a DVD recorder soon and can anyone suggest some quality products. I'm looking to spend as little as possible, maybe around $200. I was wondering also is there certain feature that I should be interested in. I'm not familiar with DVD recorders but I'm assuming same functions as a VCR. I'm also wondering will I be able to burn shows that I already have on my Comcast DVR. I'll most likely make a list of suggested recorders, do a little research and narrow it down. My first concern above all else is quality, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks in advance

EdwardGein
11-01-2005, 04:50 PM
I have a LiteOn 5001 that I bought new for $168 about a year ago from Circuit Cty online with free shipping (they didn't carry it in their stores). Since then believe it or not I think they've gone up in price. This is what I use it for and see if that's applicable to you:

I record on my Lite On Stand Alone recorder: 1. Shows I have taped on my DVR (Scientific Atlanta HD 8003- make sure your DVR will let you record DVD's & VHS stuff as the 8001 model wasn't programmed (by my cable company?) to do that. You record using 3 analogue cables going from DVR's out to the recorders in. As far as I know you can only do stereo recording going from your DVR to a DVD recorder as there are no optical ins on stand alones but I could be wrong about this., 2. I transfer 8mm tapes, 3. I transfer VHS tapes. I basically do no editing with this recorder which is very easy to use- just plug & play using the easy remote guide control & within 5 minutes of getting this you are recording. On this DVD Recorder you are better off using DVDRW rather then DVDR because you don't need to finalize DVDRW's while on this recorder you need to finaklize DVDR's (I'm not sure if that's with every DVD recorder). Also a 1X DVDR/RW records as fast using the standalone
as a 16X one as I don't think you can do fast speed recording but maybe I'm wrong. As I previously posted, you get the same quality results from a cheap no name DVDR as an expensive name one.

The picture for recording TV is noticeably better at SP (2 hours) then 4 Hours.

Unless you buy a device for $100-$150 or so, I have one that I never used, you can not copy 95% of all movies on your DVD Recorder for stand alone recorders. If you wish to do that, you need to have either a DVD burner for your computer or an external DVD recorder to hook up by USB. You can record 5.1 sound on computer DVD burners. You can also copy most DVD's by using a free online program called DVD Shrink which is not available
in stores not is similar software sold in stores. When using DVD Shrink, an 8X DVDR will record faster then a 4.7 one if your burners speed is 8 or more & a 16X DVDR will record faster then an 8X etc. When recording onto your computers hard drive you need to delete all files immediately because they occupy alot of gigs. With DVD Shrink, you can record just the movie, the movie & all the features & menu or just some features- anything over 2 hours it automatically compresses. Speaking for myself I don't notice any difference on a compressed copy.

Lastly when you record DVDRS you are creating clones.

I really see no point whatsoever spending big bucks on a DVD Recorder unless maybe it has an optical as opposed to just an optical out like Lite On has.

L.J.
11-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the reply and all the info. There are only a few things I would like to do.

1. I would like to make DVD's from my DVR recordings.(I will have to call Comcast to make sure my DVR is capable of this.

2. Make DVD copies of about 30 VHS tapes I own.

3. It would also be convenient to find a unit with a media card slot so I can just take my SD card straight from my camera and play it.

4. I would like to do picture slide shows on my big screen.

If I can't come across a unit that has a media card slot for a decent price than it seems to make more since to spend that extra cash on a PC DVD burner.

Any more thoughts.

N. Abstentia
11-01-2005, 07:45 PM
You've only got one thing backwards....the prices. PC DVD burners are $39 now, this is definitely the cheaper way to go but it's much more work to make a DVD. However making a picture slide show is as simple as burning a CD or DVD with jpg's on it and playing it.

L.J.
11-01-2005, 08:05 PM
You've only got one thing backwards....the prices. PC DVD burners are $39 now, this is definitely the cheaper way to go but it's much more work to make a DVD. However making a picture slide show is as simple as burning a CD or DVD with jpg's on it and playing it.

I've read about making video CD's with a CD burner but when I tried it the pictures were all messed up. Perhaps the format was incorrect. My Denon regonized the disc as a VCD. Is there a certain procedure to doing this with a CD burner?

I must be one of the few people in America who doesn't own a DVD burner.

EdwardGein
11-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I'm out of the loop as I wasn't aware as to how cheap they are. Does that include software as well.

I think Stand alones have increased in price like Lite On 5001.

EdwardGein
11-01-2005, 09:11 PM
To see if you can copy from your DVR to a DVD recorder, just connect it to your VCR now, the DVR's external outs to the VCRs inputs using rca cables. Just press play on your DVR for something you recorded and set your VCR to the correct input & press record. If it records on the VCR it will record on the DVD recorder.

Your old video tapes will record to DVD as long as either your VHS tape has no encryption or if it does your DVD player has no encryption chip (the older VCRs don't)

The main thing is I would initially use DVDRWs as chances are you will be going through a learning period & with these you can erase your mistakes & try again.

EdwardGein
11-01-2005, 09:13 PM
For DVD copies from DVD's you need a computer DVD burner either external or internal & a good reliable program like Nero & DVD Shrink. I would not experiment around & use software other then Nero as your asking for some problems.

For VHS copes, DVR copies & TV recordings, you need a stand alone one.

N. Abstentia
11-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Actually I use a PC burner for everything...including DVR/VCR burning. This of course is much more work and requires much more computer knowlege as well as the proper hardware. Point is..a standalone is not the only way to do it. It's the easiest way to do it, but there are tradeoffs. A computer will make a slicker package with nice menu graphics and chapters wherever you want. It just depends how much work you want to put into it.

As far as making a picture slideshow, all you need is a CD burner and pictures. Burn it as a data CD and a jpg compatable player will show it. Perhaps your Denon does not support this feature?

Defshep
11-02-2005, 01:59 AM
I've pretty much settled on the Pioneer 320s (you can get it for as low as $180) dvd recorder. It was between that and the $200 Panasonic model. Checked the reviews and specs and it looks pretty good. If you want really cheap, Cyberhome makes one for about $99. That particular model seems to have quality issues, and you can only record to +R. I had a Cyberhome dvd player that lasted me 2 years with continuous use, so I don't know...

EdwardGein
11-02-2005, 02:24 AM
One question, if I read your post correctly & maybe I didn't, why would to be able to record just DVD+R/RW instead of DVD-R/RW or vice versa be an issue at all?

Defshep
11-02-2005, 02:28 AM
I believe some older DVD players have a problem playing back +R recorded discs.

EdwardGein
11-02-2005, 03:43 AM
I believe some older DVD players have a problem playing back +R recorded discs.

I can't say yes or no to this but I've never experienced anyone having a problem with DVD+R & I don't think that being able to record just in DVD+R is a realistic negative but that's my own preference.

Defshep
11-02-2005, 04:12 AM
You're exactly right. It does come down to personal preference. For some reason, most dvd recorders use the -R format.

L.J.
11-02-2005, 07:44 AM
As far as making a picture slideshow, all you need is a CD burner and pictures. Burn it as a data CD and a jpg compatable player will show it. Perhaps your Denon does not support this feature?

Thanks! I tried it this morning and it worked just fine. The pictures filled up my entire screen. I tried it before using software that came with my laptop and it didn't work. This time my display said JPEG instead of VCD. Cool

L.J.
11-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Actually I use a PC burner for everything...including DVR/VCR burning. This of course is much more work and requires much more computer knowlege as well as the proper hardware. Point is..a standalone is not the only way to do it. It's the easiest way to do it, but there are tradeoffs. A computer will make a slicker package with nice menu graphics and chapters wherever you want. It just depends how much work you want to put into it.

Nab,

What kinda hardware and software are you talking about?

Also what's a good DVD burner to get? I'm due for one

N. Abstentia
11-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Most importantly you'll need a video capture card that does hardware mpeg2, such as a Gigabyte or Sapphire Vivo card. I do not like ATI All-IN-Wonders. I would also recommend strongly getting Intervideo WinDVR software, and Tmpg DVD Author. It's also a good idea to have a seperate hard drive for video capturing.

As far as burners go....Pioneer are still at the top of my list.

L.J.
11-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Most importantly you'll need a video capture card that does hardware mpeg2, such as a Gigabyte or Sapphire Vivo card. I do not like ATI All-IN-Wonders. I would also recommend strongly getting Intervideo WinDVR software, and Tmpg DVD Author. It's also a good idea to have a seperate hard drive for video capturing.

As far as burners go....Pioneer are still at the top of my list.

Hey Nab,

Thanks for the info.

So where's a good place to get a video capture card? DVD burner?

I may have to go external also. I have a laptop with 80g HD. My 2 PC's only have PCI slots, I don't know if that makes a difference. One has a 20g HD, the other has 40g. What do think?

I was also wondering would a video capture card be able to record sound only? Would I be able to use this to convert my cassette tapes to cd or would I need a seperate sound card for that?

Thanks

N. Abstentia
11-03-2005, 12:00 PM
DVD Burner:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=pioneer+110&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Capture Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131309

WinDVR:
http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVR_Profile.jsp

DVD Author:
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html

If you only have PCI slots you might be out of luck though. I think you might as well get a standalone burner. If there's no AGP slots it's going to be too old and slow for video capture anyway.

L.J.
11-03-2005, 12:24 PM
If you only have PCI slots you might be out of luck though. I think you might as well get a standalone burner. If there's no AGP slots it's going to be too old and slow for video capture anyway.

Your probably right. No way I'm looking into a new PC so I may just go with a standalone. $40 for DVD burner, that's a great price. I'll pick one of those up. Thanks for the links

L.J.
11-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Hey Nab,

I was thinking that a external DVD burner may be a little more convenient for me. Do you have any suggestions on reliable products?

Thanks

N. Abstentia
11-04-2005, 07:09 AM
To be honest I don't like external burners so I couldn't tell you which one to get. I just don't trust hooking up a high speed IDE device to a crippled external USB port. I look at it as hooking up a 1000 watt amp to some really nice speakers with 24 gauge speaker wire.

However if you have to go external, a Firewire connection would be the way to go.

L.J.
11-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Can someone explain the differences between DVD media?

What is the little + and - symbol all about? (example DVD+R vs DVD-R

What is DVD-Ram?

What's the best brand of media to use?

EdwardGein
11-09-2005, 02:26 PM
I may be wrong on this but it seems like most DVD Recorders record DVD+R. I think any DVD player that came out in the past 2-3 years plays both DVD-R & DVD+R. There is a web page (in fact there may be more) that shows what's compatible with older players. I also see alot more DVD+R's available at the chain stores I go to. If the DVD your going to play the stuff you record on is going to be played anyway by yourself, you may as well get a DVD recorder that records DVD+R. There are some that do both. I don't think that's worth the extra money as like I said, DVD+R or -R will play on most players.

In regards to Media, despite what some people say here, DVDR/RW's qualityare the same as CDR quality- you get the same identical recordimg on the cheapest unknown brand as you do on the best most expensive brand. My only caveat is some people here, its never happened to me, claim certain brands have trouble recording on certain recorders. Having said that, I would buy the cheapest DVDRs you can get, irregardless of the brand. If you are doing real time recording on a stand alone DVD recorder as opposed to a computer internal/external DVD burner, you are throwing money away by getting the fastest speed because its being recorded at 1X anyway. Thus a 1X or 2X DVDR which is alot cheaper then a 16X DVDR, will record on a stand alone at the same speed. The only time speed makes a difference is if you are recording on a computer DVD burner where an 8X will record if you are making a DVD copy of a DVD using DVD Shrink, much faster then say a 2X. You have to determine in that case is it worth spending the extra money,