audiophile knobs...? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : audiophile knobs...?

bubbagump
11-01-2005, 04:33 AM
I'm thinking of a knob upgrade. Thoughts, suggestions?

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C

Here are some more useful products from industrious manufacturers.

http://www.ilikejam.dsl.pipex.com/audiophile.htm

Bernd
11-01-2005, 04:42 AM

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C

What a bargain. Go for it. I bet it will make one hell of a difference to your rig.
Happy knobing!!

Bernd

pelly3s
11-01-2005, 05:09 AM
can these mods get any more pathetic. i think that might be dumber than cryo treatment. whats next a ceramic stand for your remote so the energy from the batteries doesnt leak through the table into the carpet and send interfernce into your equipment.

N. Abstentia
11-01-2005, 07:38 AM
I'll bet soundideas is banging his head against his desk because he forgot to buy these for his system to go with his $700 tile plates under his speakers and his $300 contact enhancer, each of which improves the sound of his $75 speakers tenfold. Can a person get any smarter?

Feanor
11-01-2005, 08:12 AM

Oh, PUL-LEEZ :rolleyes:

GMichael
11-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Can you say, "A fool and his money are soon parted?"
If you make it, they will buy it. Too many people buy these things. That's why they make them. That's why there are thousands of people out there trying to invent the next pixie snot.
Magical knobs that make your stereo sound better.
Magical cream that makes you younger.
Magical pills that make you stronger. (hey, they have these!)
Magical pills that make your manhood more manly.

Who needs a white van anymore? The internet has made the world so small that everyone comes to you. And a fool really is born every minute. Why else would a ligher need to have a warning lable that says, make sure flame is out before putting in your pocket.

topspeed
11-01-2005, 09:43 AM
I don't know about you guys, but my audiophile knob is just fine, thank you very much. ;)

Bernd
11-01-2005, 09:52 AM
I don't know about you guys, but my audiophile knob is just fine, thank you very much. ;)

Mine is,too. Like it just the way it is.

Keep Knobing

What's playing: Llyod Cole and the Comotions-Rattlesnakes

GMichael
11-01-2005, 09:53 AM

Pics?...

dean_martin
11-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Make sure you've budgeted for the knob polishing kit. It's a must.

E-Stat
11-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Some time back, I replaced the front panel and knobs on my ARC preamp to match the other black components. I later used two of the knobs on a DIY attenuator project.

Total cost of attenuators, aluminum box, connectors and wire $16.
Cost of two knobs $36 - at least they were left over! :^)

rw

thepogue
11-01-2005, 06:35 PM
I just spent an hour hangin out with you and you didn't even know it!!....lol..cool web pages....really neat to see the room you built!! Where do you live? I spend quite a bit of time looking over your pages...and I was thinking "cool suff"...owns Paradigm...really into HT (whcih I'm not a big HT kinda guy...but can really understand the attraction)..and then BLAM...I see your a PT fan...and I said...I gotta give the dude his props ;) cool site, cool sounds = cool dude..! BTW I just drove 6 hours from virginia to Philly to see PTrees last month. Wilson is great...as well as the rest of the band.

thanks for the "tour" of your world!

Pogue

I'll bet soundideas is banging his head against his desk because he forgot to buy these for his system to go with his $700 tile plates under his speakers and his $300 contact enhancer, each of which improves the sound of his $75 speakers tenfold. Can a person get any smarter?

topspeed
11-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Make sure you've budgeted for the knob polishing kit. It's a must.
What budget? I've had my knob polishing kit for 15 years and I shudder to think how much she's cost me :eek:.

dean_martin
11-02-2005, 03:11 PM
What budget? I've had my knob polishing kit for 15 years and I shudder to think how much she's cost me :eek:.

Yep.

(I couldn't think of anything else to say. That was just too damn funny, Speedy.)

JSE
11-02-2005, 03:29 PM

Mine did not really help my sound. I just get these low end moaning sounds? No soundstage at all. I will say the highs are much better now though!

abstracta
11-03-2005, 09:28 AM
The wooden knob trick doesn't work unless you cryogenically freeze it first.

:-)

Guess this means we'll start to see high end interconnect cables soon encased in bamboo or something.

Bernd
11-03-2005, 09:32 AM
The wooden knob trick doesn't work unless you cryogenically freeze it first.

:-)

Guess this means we'll start to see high end interconnect cables soon encased in bamboo or something.

Can't see it. How can cryogenically freezing improve this fine knob.

Peace

Bernd

What's playing: Eric Clapton-Unplugged

GMichael
11-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Can't see it. How can cryogenically freezing improve this fine knob.

Peace

Bernd

What's playing: Eric Clapton-Unplugged

It releases the free electrons in the air to interact with the free radicals in your fingers. This being a free upgrade.

MikeyBC
11-04-2005, 11:04 PM
If i didnt click that first link i wouldn't have believed it, Bet they'll sound even better if they designed a $200 elastic band to wrap around the knob to further dampen any resonance in the wood. If they'd designed the silver rock potentiometer properly in the first place it wouldnt need a $485 chunk of wood strapped to it !! Think i'll go get a lathe and design a wooden knob for vintage sony recievers.

GMichael
11-05-2005, 08:31 AM
If i didnt click that first link i wouldn't have believed it, Bet they'll sound even better if they designed a $200 elastic band to wrap around the knob to further dampen any resonance in the wood. If they'd designed the silver rock potentiometer properly in the first place it wouldnt need a $485 chunk of wood strapped to it !! Think i'll go get a lathe and design a wooden knob for vintage sony recievers.

Dude, I had trouble reading your post. I think I'm being watch by some guy that looks like Homer Simpson.

rockecat
11-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Hopefully they at the very least supply the knob polish at least you get something of value.

gonefishin
11-05-2005, 07:59 PM
audiophile knobs...?

Why the name calling?

MikeyBC
11-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Origionally posted by GMichael
Dude, I had trouble reading your post. I think I'm being watch by some guy that looks like Homer Simpson.

DOH !!