anti skate weight problems [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : anti skate weight problems

SoundGuyDave
10-31-2005, 10:46 PM
I just got my turntable unpacked after my move and got it all set up and the tonearm is pulling all the way to the right. I took the weight off when I moved, as well as the platter and the tonearm. Now that I have it all togther, I can't get it to work. I have taken it apart and put it back together a few times before with no problems but this time I just can't get it all balanced out. Any ideas? Its a music hall mmf 2.1

BRANDONH
11-01-2005, 09:25 AM
I just got my turntable unpacked after my move and got it all set up and the tonearm is pulling all the way to the right. I took the weight off when I moved, as well as the platter and the tonearm. Now that I have it all togther, I can't get it to work. I have taken it apart and put it back together a few times before with no problems but this time I just can't get it all balanced out. Any ideas? Its a music hall mmf 2.1

http://www.elusivedisc.com/images/mmf-2.jpg

The little weight hung by a monofilament line.
Directly behind counterweight,you should have 3 notches to choose from,
The first being the least and the last being the highest.
You may have it on the least try the next notch the middle or the last which furthest away from the cartridge.
Also try adjusting the down force to the cartridge manufacturers recommended tracking force.
This guage is not very expensive and is easy to use:
Shure SFG-2 Stylus Force Guage

http://www.kabusa.com/GIF/SFG2.jpg

http://www.kabusa.com/accesss.htm#pg2a

SoundGuyDave
11-01-2005, 10:22 AM
I have tried all the nothces and they all pull over. It is really perplexing, I can't find a reason why it is happening

BRANDONH
11-01-2005, 10:28 AM
I have tried all the nothces and they all pull over. It is really perplexing, I can't find a reason why it is happening
Have you checked the level of the TT?

BRANDONH
11-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I guess if all else fails call the dealer.
Below is a list of dealers in your area:
http://www.musichallaudio.com/dealers.asp?filter=ILLINOIS&Submit=Search

Dealer's Name: DECIBEL
Dealer's Address: 1407 N MILWAUKEE
CHICAGO
ILLINOIS
Dealer's Tel: (773) 862-6072
Dealer's Email:
Dealer's Web: http://www.decibelaudio.com

Dealer's Name: HOLM AUDIO
Dealer's Address: 2050 WEST 75TH ST
WOODRIDGE
ILLINOIS
Dealer's Tel: (630) 663-1298
Dealer's Email:
Dealer's Web:

Dealer's Name: MUSIC DIRECT
Dealer's Address: 318 N LAFLIN
CHICAGO
ILLINOIS
Dealer's Tel: (312) 433-0200
Dealer's Email:
Dealer's Web: http://www.amusicdirect.com

Dealer's Name: PRO MUSICA
Dealer's Address: 2236 NORTH CLARK
CHICAGO
ILLINOIS
Dealer's Tel: (773) 883-9500
Dealer's Email:
Dealer's Web:

Dealer's Name: QUINTESSENCE AUDIO LTD
Dealer's Address: 5701 WEST DEMPSTER
MORTON
ILLINOIS
Dealer's Tel: (847) 966-4434
Dealer's Email:
Dealer's Web:

Dealer's Name: SATURDAY AUDIO EXCHANGE
Dealer's Address: 1021 W BELMONT
CHICAGO
ILLINOIS
Dealer's Tel: (773) 935-4434
Dealer's Email:
Dealer's Web: http://www.saturdayaudio.com

Dealer's Name: SATURDAY AUDIO EXCHANGE - EVANSTON
Dealer's Address: 605 DEMPSTER
EVANSTON
ILLINOIS
Dealer's Tel: (847) 492-8733
Dealer's Email:
Dealer's Web: http://www.saturdayaudio.com

Dealer's Name: ULTIMATE AUDIO/VIDEO
Dealer's Address: 888 N LAFOX ST
SOUTH ELGIN
ILLINOIS
Dealer's Tel: (847) 343-7507
Dealer's Email:
Dealer's Web:

SoundGuyDave
11-01-2005, 10:38 AM
The turtable is level. When the weight is not attached, the tone arm is level and once I attach the weight it pulls it all the way over no matter what setting

BRANDONH
11-01-2005, 11:00 AM
The turtable is level. When the weight is not attached, the tone arm is level and once I attach the weight it pulls it all the way over no matter what setting
I am at a loss.
The only other thing I can think of is the little arm for the weight is not properly mounted.
My only recommendation now is to call some of the dealers I listed earlier.
Good luck.

SoundGuyDave
11-01-2005, 11:05 AM
I suppose I will take it apart and put it back together and if that doesn't work I'll give a call to one of the dealers.

JohnMichael
11-01-2005, 01:16 PM

Are you saying that you took the counterweight off the tonearm or you took the tonearm off the table. If you took off the counterweight I would agree with BRANDONH that you may not have the tracking force set correctly. I would take off the antiskate weight and balance the arm so it floats and this will be at 0 grams tracking force. Then set the counterweight DIAL to read 0. Then turn the weight to the desired tracking force. The Shure is a good guage to own but you will get close enough to see if this solves the problem.

SoundGuyDave
11-01-2005, 01:44 PM
I will look at it but i don't see a way to set the anti skate force, other than the three notches. I will look into it when i get home.

JohnMichael
11-01-2005, 02:10 PM
I will look at it but i don't see a way to set the anti skate force, other than the three notches. I will look into it when i get home.

That is the way to set the antiskate force but we were concerned that the tracking force set by the counterweight might be wrong. The loop on the string around the notch then the line through that arm. If the arm is not set to the proper tracking force the weight could easily move the arm.

slate1
11-01-2005, 02:16 PM
JohnMichael is correct and there's no other way to set antiskate on the Pro-Ject arms.

You need to set the tracking force first, prior to applying ANY antiskate or the arm will float all the way to the right back towards the armrest when you try to balance it at 0g.

Take the Antiskate weight off the arm, balance the arm so it's "floating", turn the dial (NOT the counterweight) so that it reads 0, turn the counterweight so that it's set to your carts VTF. After you've done all that - attach the antiskate weight and put it on the correct notch.

If it still moves back to the rest - call a dealer.

Good Luck!

JohnMichael
11-01-2005, 02:18 PM
JohnMichael is correct and there's no other way to set antiskate on the Pro-Ject arms.

You need to set the tracking force first, prior to applying ANY antiskate or the arm will float all the way to the right back towards the armrest when you try to balance it at 0g.

Take the Antiskate weight off the arm, balance the arm so it's "floating", turn the dial (NOT the counterweight) so that it reads 0, turn the counterweight so that it's set to your carts VTF. After you've done all that - attach the antiskate weight and put it on the correct notch.

If it still moves back to the rest - call a dealer.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the correction I should have said turn the counterweight dial to 0.

SoundGuyDave
11-01-2005, 08:18 PM
I'vbe got the arm balanced with the proper tracking force and still the weight is pulling over, I guess I will have to take it in. I really can't see why this is happening.

royphil345
11-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Does the arm pull to the right when the anti-skate weight is not attached and the tonearm is floating (stylus pesssure set to zero)? If not, maybe something bad happened to your stylus during the move? Isn't much that can go wrong with a weight on a string!!!

SoundGuyDave
11-02-2005, 01:00 PM
After playing with it last night I think something may be wrong with the counter weight. I get the arm balanced so it floats, and then I set the tracking force, but I don't believe the counter weight is displaying the proper weight, the rubber inside seems twisted. I ordered the shure force gauge and shoiuld be here friday, Until then, it is not in service, which sucks because I just hooked it up to my new preamp, which i really want to hear.

BRANDONH
12-09-2005, 11:50 AM
After playing with it last night I think something may be wrong with the counter weight. I get the arm balanced so it floats, and then I set the tracking force, but I don't believe the counter weight is displaying the proper weight, the rubber inside seems twisted. I ordered the shure force gauge and shoiuld be here friday, Until then, it is not in service, which sucks because I just hooked it up to my new preamp, which i really want to hear.
Just following up.
Did you find the problem?
Were you able to Fix it?