Adcom GFA2535 and Dynaudio Contour-Can they fit? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Adcom GFA2535 and Dynaudio Contour-Can they fit?

lmtran
10-31-2005, 10:36 PM
I have an Adcom GFA 2535 and looking for a speaker to bi-amp. I read reviews and found good feedbacks on Dynaudio Contour series. I am reviewing a Contour 90db/4ohm bookself with 3 inches treble and 8 inches bass. I cannot go futher on this as those speakers are 2nd hand. I am little bit worry about the amp as it can provide only 90w to 4ohm and Dyn has a reputation of power eater. Do you have any advice on this?

kexodusc
11-01-2005, 04:32 AM
Not sure why you're only looking for speaker just so you can bi-amp them. Lots of speakers sound great without bi-amping.

If the Dynaudio's are indeed 90 dB, a 90 watt 4-ohm stable amplifier should be more than enough to make them sing.
When people talk about power hungry Dynaudios, my understanding is they're hinting at getting something stronger than the average home-theater receiver that won't like anything lower than 6 ohm speakers. I know a few people that use older 40 watt amplifiers to drive Dynaudio's to loud volumes with good results.

lmtran
11-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks for your advice. I am using a single binding post Jamo and it is really good to my ears. But my Adcom is a dual stereo amps on one chasis so I try to test the benefit of bi-amp. My Jamo can handle 50w (6 ohm) in long term so the amp is more than enought for the speaker. I heard that if you fire the speakers with an amp which little bit more powerful than the speaker can handle so the speakers will sing better? Is that correct? If it is not true, i am happy with the contour. Thanks again.