Is DVD Shrink limited to 4X burning speed? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is DVD Shrink limited to 4X burning speed?

Breezer88888
10-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey,

I know you guys out there don't like to talk much about DVD Shrink, but I know there are a lot of users. I use version 3.2 and would like to know if there's a way to burn at a speed faster than 4X. Both my burner and disks are 8X, which is the reason I ask.

Please post if you know how to get a faster burn speed.
Thanks,
Breezer

N. Abstentia
10-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Shrink does not burn, it relies on your burning program do that. I use Nero with Shrink which does 16x.

EdwardGein
10-31-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure what the speed is though I'm a regular user but if you want to do a whole DVD including all the features & everything, it will take about 45-90 minutes to do from beginning to end. That's not a problem on my computer as I can do other applications without affecting it but I recommend you have Nero Software to use with DVD Shrink. Also I would for the first week or so you use it use DVD+RW's as I guarantee you, you will be making mistakes left & right till you get the hang of it & its then near automatic. Here as some helpful hints for you: 1. Make sure you have the DVD Shrink sound set on 5.1, 2. you rename each title you burn by adding or selecting one or more numbers & letters, 3. After you burn your DVD even if unsuccessful you better delete the fules right away as they take up several gigs of space each time- just go to seach, the day you burned them & then look for all your vts & video files, 4. You take out anything unecessary that you don't want like subtitles in the checked space menu after it does the first step. 5. For some reasons, I have trouble making clones of clones with it & it freezes up my computer when I try so if you want multiple clones do them with the originsl.

N. Abstentia
10-31-2005, 08:35 PM
Hersh if you need to make clones the best think you can do is to have Shrink just make an ISO file instead of burning the DVD with the individual files. That way when Shrink is done doing it's thing it leaves behind 1 nice neat 4.3 gig file. Click it, burn it, done. Need another? Click it, burn it. Done with it? Delete that one file.

EdwardGein
10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Hersh if you need to make clones the best think you can do is to have Shrink just make an ISO file instead of burning the DVD with the individual files. That way when Shrink is done doing it's thing it leaves behind 1 nice neat 4.3 gig file. Click it, burn it, done. Need another? Click it, burn it. Done with it? Delete that one file.

Thanks I'll try that but not wild about the space eating up. Why won't it make clones of clones?

vxaudio
10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
what version of nero and dvd shrink work well? i need to get a nero version that works well for this and for camcoder dvd. anybody use a nero version for both?

vxaudio
10-31-2005, 09:13 PM
one more thing, i was thinking about upgrading my dvd burner since mine is only 2x. i want to get an external so i can use it with several my desktop, notebook, and tablet (motion technologies is awesome FYI). any recomendations for best cost/benefit?

N. Abstentia
10-31-2005, 09:35 PM
Thanks I'll try that but not wild about the space eating up. Why won't it make clones of clones?

Well it does not eat up any more space than the regular method, and depending on how you do it it could take much less space. The shrunk DVD is going to take up 4.3 gigs no matter how you slice it..whether it be the raw VOB files or one nice neat ISO file. Now if you make clones of it and rename it each time, you're eating 4.3 gigs EACH time you do it. Make 2 clones and you just ate 8.6 gigs of space. Burning from the single ISO file wouldn't do that, and you wouldn't even need Shrink. You just open it and burn it. 10 minutes tops at 12x.

But if space is that big of a concern, slap a 2nd hard drive in your computer. An 80 gig drive is like $50 now.

EdwardGein
10-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Well I delete all the files after I burn something so using DVD Shrink doesn't add to anything.

EdwardGein
10-31-2005, 09:48 PM
one more thing, i was thinking about upgrading my dvd burner since mine is only 2x. i want to get an external so i can use it with several my desktop, notebook, and tablet (motion technologies is awesome FYI). any recomendations for best cost/benefit?

Without getting into details Just get the latest edition of Nero Software which you can get a good price online. As far as external ones, you can get a great price on Ebay on brand new sealed ones as a Buy it Now item for $85- $140.

Stereomaniac
11-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Shrink does not burn, it relies on your burning program do that. I use Nero with Shrink which does 16x.

I have Roxio 7 is DVD shrink compatible it?

N. Abstentia
11-01-2005, 07:42 AM
I hate Roxio so I don't know! I would imagine you could use it to burn the raw VOB files and manually build the DVD structure, but I'd really recommend Nero. Not just for that, but for everything.

N. Abstentia
11-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Well I delete all the files after I burn something so using DVD Shrink doesn't add to anything.

Well if you want to make clones, make an ISO file and don't delete it until you're done making clones. That saves you from going through Shrink again. It makes one file the first time, then you just burn that file as many times as you want.

EdwardGein
11-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Well if you want to make clones, make an ISO file and don't delete it until you're done making clones. That saves you from going through Shrink again. It makes one file the first time, then you just burn that file as many times as you want.

Got it, thanks.

Breezer88888
11-01-2005, 08:15 PM
DVD Shrink 3.2 has Nero within the downloaded freeware so there's no need to purchase separately. Although I don't know which Nero version it may be, I have not had any issues with decrypting. The only issues I've had with this software is the ability to compress certain music video DVDs which seem to have lots of content. So depending on what's available on the menu, I may de-select Multi-channel 5.1 or 2 channel stereo to ensure that it fits. But of course if its a gotta-have DVD, I'll just buy it.

Anyway, I don't see the answer that I was looking for, but I'm glad that so many of you posted. Here's another question that probably deserves a new thread. Can you see any degradation in the picture quality of the clone/copy? My mind may be playing tricks on me, but my very unscientific comparison says that there are slight details lost. Anyone care to be more thorough? Please post your findings. Thanks to all.

EdwardGein
11-01-2005, 09:02 PM
I totally do not notice any difference whatsoever but again I'm not scrutanizing them back to back. I think NAbsentia notices a difference. I've been very happy with my clones as far as picture & 5.1 sound. If you want to take this one step further there are various online sights that have alot of DVD covers that you can download free or you can assemble your own. There is a good reasonably priced software program online called Acoustica CD Label Maker that does DVD covers for you that fit into DVD cases which you can get cheap as well on Ebay.

N. Abstentia
11-01-2005, 11:08 PM
If there is no compression needed then there will be no noticeable difference. But the more compression you use, the more quality you lose. I found that around 85% and up is almost impossible to tell a difference, but get down to 50% and you'll have all kinds of compression artifacts.

Breezer88888
11-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Hi N.
Thanks for confirming that. For some movies I will notice the difference in flesh tones and texture. Never a big deal unless I keep the original around long enough to review both. I have been focusing on animation films or films that have the "Mastered in High Definition" comment in the back of the DVD case. I figure that's where I would see the compression problems, if at all.

Okay, does anyone have experience using Dual Layer burners and disks with DVD Shrink? If you guys are up to it, let's keep this thread going with helpful tips. I know I really appreciate it!!

N. Abstentia
11-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Dual layer is useless. At one time I had 7 DVD players in my house (don't ask!) and only ONE of them would read a dual layer disc, and that was my Sony 300 disc jukebox that I got in 2002. That, coupled with the fact that the discs are close to $10 each, makes it useless in my book.

Breezer88888
11-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Hello again N,

Definitely good info. Thanks for saving me some $$.