un-powered sub HELP... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : un-powered sub HELP...

thepogue
01-11-2004, 02:28 PM
I just picked up a pair of ACI Saturn subs (2-12" each) which I'm going to power w/ Carver TFM-55 (405wpc) but I'm having a problem. When i connect the power source to the onboard crossover I get no sound (very very little and in fact if I push the amp too much I only hear clipping of the driver but not from over driving/excess volume). The needles on the amp move so I'm getting signal but no output. Also there is a second set of inputs that go directly to the drivers (to by-pass the crossovers) but of course I get full range sound when the X over is by-passed and it sound like ****e (of course) but it is at least loud(er). The only thing I can figure is that the X overs are not wired correctly (as this is a DIY kit). The former owner is pretty smart but he used a build X over from a HT receiver and didn't use the onboard X over (whcih he ran them this was for 10 years!) Becasue BOTH of the subs do the same I'm pretty sure that the X overs are not fried (but I'm just guessing) I have taken a peek at the X over components and nothing looks phyically fried. So here's my thoughts...instead of fiddling w/the X overs I'm thinking of getting an outboard electric X over and going that route...what do you guys think and am I missing something in the set-up?

Thanks, Pogue

TinHere
01-11-2004, 03:39 PM
what do you guys think and am I missing something in the set-up?
Thanks, Pogue

I think once in yer life ya oughta buck up fer sumpin new. Of course I could tell you what to do with yer subs but there's a game on.:p

Good luck. I hope that helped. Let us know how it works out fer ya.