Denon To Open Regional Superstores! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon To Open Regional Superstores!

Daddy3Legs
10-31-2005, 02:15 PM
Heard this the other day. They should be opening about 8 superstores inb the next 2-3 years to compete with the mass electronics dealers. They'll carry the brands they partner with in other ventures as well as some exclusive contracted brands to be announced in the next 8-12 months. First store should be opening in the MidWest, NorthEast and Atlanta areas starting in spring 2007.

topspeed
11-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Interesting. Do you have a link to the story? It's hard to imagine how this is going to work on superstore scale. I can see possibly a boutique like the Sony Style stores, or maybe even a B&O type of establishment. Ballsy move on their part. The question is whether Denon has enough brand awareness to pull this off.

Thanks for the info!

ToddL
11-01-2005, 01:27 PM
As far as I know Denon owns Marantz, used to be the North American distributer for Mission(but not anymore), and has some mount companies. Their speakers aren't anything more than solid entry level which don't pair with anything above their AVR1500 series. Unless they have more lines that I am not aware of plan to pick up some good ones then they are in trouble with this move.
Note: Denon is the company that vowed to keep a level of dignity and to stay in mid to high-end stores. A couple of months ago they became a Best Buy piece and now they are going to have a Denon outlet? Say it ain't so!

nightflier
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
As far as I know Denon owns Marantz...

That's a bit of an overlap wouldn't you say? I wonder what will happen to the product lines if Denon wants to keep that "level of respectability."

ToddL
11-02-2005, 06:23 AM
From what I know Denon bought out Marantz in Canada(correct me if I'm wrong). As far as Denon's respectability, well I guess this has been discussed in another thread, but, I am a big fan of Denon they are my favorite company in players and receivers when it comes to mid/high end. I guess they are just keeping up with the times which is becoming big box, mass market lower price type stuff, so for the last time I want to say "I just hope they don't sacrifice quality for quanity." I think of it this way if Mercedes started making $15K cars targeted at your "Wal-Mart Joe" then Mercedes enthusiasts would be thinking twice. Know what I mean (I am not trying to be offensive)

topspeed
11-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Denon, Marantz, and McIntosh are owned by the same holding company (D&M?). All three operate independently, although Denon amd Marantz share suppliers.

As for Mercedes offering entry level cars, they tried that with the C230 Compact, with disastrous results. Not only did the car flop, it helped expose how far MB's legendary quality had fallen and further tarnished the once proud marque. MB is a key example of too much expansion too fast. Their lineup is ridiculously stocked with product after product chasing nonexistent niche markets...all to the detriment of their core value: engineering excellence.

Let's hope Denon doesn't follow the same path.

GMichael
11-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Wouldn't Denon be more of a Toyota or Honda?

nightflier
11-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Wouldn't Denon be more of a Toyota or Honda?

Acura, maybe?

ToddL
11-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Acura, maybe?
Agreed