Help please! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

johny747
10-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Hi All,
I am breaking my head over this matter for some time now.
I currently have a home theatre set up.
Onkyo TX-DS575 A/V Receiver( 70w per channel, :(
Jamo 128(thats what it was called in 2000) Front
Jamo D 8 Centre
Jamo Bi (polar), D 8 Surr
Onkyo Sub Woofer

This was set up in 2000. I'm quite happy with this.
1)I feel that I should upgrade/change my Front Floor Standing speaker(the current ones are fine just thinking of going in for a better one). I have shortlisted a few Jamo D870, Dynaudio's Audience 122 or 72, Paradigm's Monitor 90P or 11, Klipsch Audio's RF 7, B&W 703. I will be using this for watching movies as well as 2 channel audio.
2)I will by using these with a integrated/solid state amplifier as well. Probably a Krell 400xi or Nad S300. Or maybe even a tube amplifier(which i've not seriously researched).
3)I also plan to change my A/V reciever. My choice are Onkyo, Nad.
Sorry guys, i know this is not the forum for amps. Your inputs are valuable.
Look forward to your suggestions,
Thanks in advance

Jim Clark
10-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi All,
I am breaking my head over this matter for some time now.
I currently have a home theatre set up.
Onkyo TX-DS575 A/V Receiver( 70w per channel, :(
Jamo 128(thats what it was called in 2000) Front
Jamo D 8 Centre
Jamo Bi (polar), D 8 Surr
Onkyo Sub Woofer

This was set up in 2000. I'm quite happy with this.
1)I feel that I should upgrade/change my Front Floor Standing speaker(the current ones are fine just thinking of going in for a better one). I have shortlisted a few Jamo D870, Dynaudio's Audience 122 or 72, Paradigm's Monitor 90P or 11, Klipsch Audio's RF 7, B&W 703. I will be using this for watching movies as well as 2 channel audio.
2)I will by using these with a integrated/solid state amplifier as well. Probably a Krell 400xi or Nad S300. Or maybe even a tube amplifier(which i've not seriously researched).
3)I also plan to change my A/V reciever. My choice are Onkyo, Nad.
Sorry guys, i know this is not the forum for amps. Your inputs are valuable.
Look forward to your suggestions,
Thanks in advance

That's a decent short list you got there but I haven't listened to Jamo for years so I'm not really familiar with their current offerings. I'm a bit reluctant to make your list a bit longer but having been in a similar situation very recently I'd suggest you research a bit online and see if you can read about the Von Schweikert VR2. If what you read interests you I would suggest seeing if you have a dealer nearby to schedule an audition. While I love the VS line, the only reason I even mention these is that you present the possibility of tubes and they seem to be in the ball park pricewise with some of your other selections. The VR2's will work with tubes whereas a couple on your list won't work out quite so well. I've heard them with tubes and SS gear and was seriously impressed. In the end you have to live with them so listen to everything you can.

Regards,
jc

point_and_shoot
11-05-2005, 09:22 PM
That's a decent short list you got there but I haven't listened to Jamo for years so I'm not really familiar with their current offerings. I'm a bit reluctant to make your list a bit longer but having been in a similar situation very recently I'd suggest you research a bit online and see if you can read about the Von Schweikert VR2. If what you read interests you I would suggest seeing if you have a dealer nearby to schedule an audition. While I love the VS line, the only reason I even mention these is that you present the possibility of tubes and they seem to be in the ball park pricewise with some of your other selections. The VR2's will work with tubes whereas a couple on your list won't work out quite so well. I've heard them with tubes and SS gear and was seriously impressed. In the end you have to live with them so listen to everything you can.

Regards,
jc

Take a look at these www.digitalp.com

Feanor
11-06-2005, 04:20 AM
Take a look at these www.digitalp.com (http://www.digitalp.com)
Seems that Digital Phase uses a patented technology referred to by DP as "Acoustic-Reed". This technology relies on vibrating "Reed fingers" inside the cabinet.

What do the experts think of this? It seems to me that success of designs that rely on cabinet resonances must depend on the tuning of the individual units.

RGA, don't Audio Note cabinets resonate?

See the Acoustic Reed patent info here ...

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&r=4&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=ptxt&S1=powell-daryl-g&OS=powell-daryl-g&RS=powell-daryl-g

point_and_shoot
11-06-2005, 07:57 AM
It seems to me that success of designs that rely on cabinet resonances must depend on the tuning of the individual units.

Actually I think this actually "is" incorporated because they spoke of selling "sonically matched" pairs of speakers. It may be because of the enclosure that they have to be tuned/matched. I am not sure.