turn your living room into a subwoofer, 1Hz! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : turn your living room into a subwoofer, 1Hz!

bubbagump
10-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Po folks need not apply.

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2005/10/31/worlds-most-powerful-subwoofer/

Florian
10-31-2005, 11:01 AM
This thing is old, it has been discussed many times at audiogon and other sites. Only problem is that there are zero user reports.

calegrant
10-31-2005, 11:40 AM
1hz? Isn't that a level that we can only feel, not hear? Sounds like the only thing that will actually do is create a breeze.

ToddL
11-01-2005, 08:51 AM
1Hz is so slow that there would just be an annoying rumble in your walls that would bleed into your sound, also you would need to spend more than 12G's to turn your walls into the proper sub box else you would have lots of harmonic frequencies and your room would be a reverbarating mess, this would be terrible as far as I'm concerned, the response time would be in the seconds rather than milliseconds. Buy one if your nametag says sucker.

RGA
11-01-2005, 11:18 AM
1hz? Isn't that a level that we can only feel, not hear? Sounds like the only thing that will actually do is create a breeze.

The stereo system for most of the 20th century was 40hz - 15khz - very very little music is noted above 15khz and not much below 41hz (the low note of a double bass) and while piano go es lower very little music runs that end of the piano. Most people over the age of 30 can't hear over 15khz and at a person's limits it's tough to tell good from bad anyway. I happen to be fairly rare in that my hearing extends to just over 16khz

Below 40hz is typically feeling bass(and if you think about 40hz can be feeling bass and should be feeling bass -- have someone play a double bass or mid level piano keys and you should feel that -- you can hear it too of course. Below 20hz certainly is feeling bass. What does not get addressed much is the quality or the sound dilineation of bass -- 30hz well done is more important than 20 hz which is not. Deep bass is not difficult to achieve -- good bass is -- good and deep is not done and no not by any panels before you get fed a bunch of crap from most of the forumers on this board. Last night I measred the Apogee diva through spectrum anaylsis at the listening position and achieve a low of 24hz but at realistic levels managed 39hz (95db is realistic) and the speaker compressed above 100db -- attrocious wimpy ass loudspeakers

Florian
11-01-2005, 12:07 PM
You are a waste of time and the biggest lier i know. I have the frequency responses done by Audio Vision in my room and the max spl is 118db at 13ft and the bass starts to fall off -1db at 23Hz. I dont believe one of the words you say, your simply talking **** about priceless systems your dumb ass will never be able to afford.

pelly3s
11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
The stereo system for most of the 20th century was 40hz - 15khz - very very little music is noted above 15khz and not much below 41hz (the low note of a double bass) and while piano go es lower very little music runs that end of the piano. Most people over the age of 30 can't hear over 15khz and at a person's limits it's tough to tell good from bad anyway. I happen to be fairly rare in that my hearing extends to just over 16khz

Below 40hz is typically feeling bass(and if you think about 40hz can be feeling bass and should be feeling bass -- have someone play a double bass or mid level piano keys and you should feel that -- you can hear it too of course. Below 20hz certainly is feeling bass. What does not get addressed much is the quality or the sound dilineation of bass -- 30hz well done is more important than 20 hz which is not. Deep bass is not difficult to achieve -- good bass is -- good and deep is not done and no not by any panels before you get fed a bunch of crap from most of the forumers on this board. Last night I measred the Apogee diva through spectrum anaylsis at the listening position and achieve a low of 24hz but at realistic levels managed 39hz (95db is realistic) and the speaker compressed above 100db -- attrocious wimpy ass loudspeakers

I must say everything you said is right on. i cant vouch for the measurement of the Apogee's because I am yet to measure them but I have listened to them and wasnt a fan. Every panel speaker I have heard was not to my liking, but thats why I dont own any.

Mike Anderson
11-02-2005, 10:40 AM
You are a waste of time and the biggest lier i know.

Come on Florian, quit sugar-coating it: Tell us how you really feel.