NHT SB-1 vs NHT SuperOne speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NHT SB-1 vs NHT SuperOne speakers?

boatscribe
10-31-2005, 07:03 AM
I currently have Paradigm Micros (space is a concern) and while they sound pretty good, I want to upgrade a little and have narrowed the search down to one of these two speakers (although I have also considered the KEF Compacts). Is there much difference between the two other than the model year? Also, I have an M&K VX-4 subwoofer, so I'm not not too concerned about the bass.
Thanks,
Alan

JohnMichael
10-31-2005, 08:06 AM
I currently have Paradigm Micros (space is a concern) and while they sound pretty good, I want to upgrade a little and have narrowed the search down to one of these two speakers (although I have also considered the KEF Compacts). Is there much difference between the two other than the model year? Also, I have an M&K VX-4 subwoofer, so I'm not not too concerned about the bass.
Thanks,
Alan

I own NHT SuperOnes and have never been as happy for as long a time as I have been with them. I have listened to the new NHTs but not long enough to know if the metal dome tweeter would start to bother me long term. I had a pair of B&Ws and Celestions and got burnt out on metal tweeters. The SuperOnes are very neutral and I have seen some good bargains on the used market. I improved the imaging of the speaker by adding adhesive felt dots in a circular pattern around the tweeter. I do like the balance of the new NHT compared to other speakers brands. I think you would like either one but my heart belongs to the SuperOnes.

boatscribe
10-31-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the input, that was just what I was hoping to hear, as I am leaning towards the SuperOnes. I was kind of surprised that the woofer is slightly smaller on the SB-1s, and like you say, metal tweeters can get abrasive after a while. That's an interesting trick with the felt dots. Where did you learn that one? Does it smooth out the highs a little?
Alan

thepogue
11-01-2005, 06:59 AM
we use them as studio monitors...very uncolored and a great buys (used).

Pogue