Replacement drivers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacement drivers

calegrant
10-30-2005, 11:02 PM
I've noticed a lot of websites seem to offer simply the drivers. I have athena fs-1's and I want a little better sound. Is it possible to simply buy new tweeters and woofers that fit the holes and hook em up? I do realize it's not a matter of picking any driver, obviously there are limitations. I just dont' want to fork out the cash for an entirely new speaker.

kexodusc
10-31-2005, 04:24 AM
Chances are the driver cutouts on the FS-1's won't accomodate a tweeter that you could buy. More importantly though, behind the drivers in a speaker you'll find the crossover. This is the heart and soul of the speaker and contributes almost as much to the sound as the drivers themselves. Most of the time, a good crossover is tailored to a specific speaker cabinet and driver combination, so replacement drivers aren't always the best way to go.

Some driver manufacturers build plop-in-the-box replacement drivers for very popular models though that will work. I think Athena is just too new and to small to find one though.

If you want better sound for the money, consider selling yours speakers and buying new ones used. Or better still, how about a assembling a speaker kit that has higher grade components than your current speakers? These won't have as much bass, but everything else is a significant step up.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640