HDTV's With Built IN Tuners Please Explain [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV's With Built IN Tuners Please Explain

EdwardGein
10-30-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm going to replace my 30" HDTV in my bedrrom with either a 32 or 34" one as I want a bigger picture & get my HDTV & DVR through Time Warner my cable company who supply the tuner/receiver for my HD ready set. For some reason though that makes absolutely no sense to me, Time Warner in Los Angeles, does not supply the WB & UPN in HD no matter what the plan you have. My question is, if my HD TV had a built in tuner, with the same cable connection I have now, will I be able to get the WB & UPN in full HD & would the picture be as good as the HD channels I'm getting from the cable company?

AVMASTER
10-31-2005, 07:26 AM
I'm going to replace my 30" HDTV in my bedrrom with either a 32 or 34" one as I want a bigger picture & get my HDTV & DVR through Time Warner my cable company who supply the tuner/receiver for my HD ready set. For some reason though that makes absolutely no sense to me, Time Warner in Los Angeles, does not supply the WB & UPN in HD no matter what the plan you have. My question is, if my HD TV had a built in tuner, with the same cable connection I have now, will I be able to get the WB & UPN in full HD & would the picture be as good as the HD channels I'm getting from the cable company?
if they are broadcast in your city and you can get the reception then yes and technically speaking, OTA HD broadcast is better

GMichael
10-31-2005, 07:28 AM
I doubt that you would be able to get any of the premium channels without a tuner from your cable company.

L.J.
10-31-2005, 08:00 AM

Want to check which channels are broadcast in your area. Here's a link (http://www.hdtvpub.com/) you can try. Just put in your zip code.

EdwardGein
10-31-2005, 10:36 AM
I doubt that you would be able to get any of the premium channels without a tuner from your cable company.

UPN & WB in HD are not premium channels right? I'm talking about getting my same existing HD hook up from my cable company but if my HD TV has a built in tuner won't I be able to get UPN & WB in HD despite the fact that my Cable provider for some reason doesn't get these?

AVMASTER
10-31-2005, 01:46 PM
UPN & WB in HD are not premium channels right? I'm talking about getting my same existing HD hook up from my cable company but if my HD TV has a built in tuner won't I be able to get UPN & WB in HD despite the fact that my Cable provider for some reason doesn't get these?
you would get those channels in HD form local broadcasters using a in/outdoors antenna connected to your HDTV

GMichael
10-31-2005, 02:03 PM

Sorry, I flaked.

JeffKnob
11-01-2005, 06:29 AM
The cable box is your tuner for the channels that the cable company offers. An internal tuner would do absolutely nothing in this instance.

An internal tuner would be used if you wish to get your HDTV over the air like people used to do before cable. People have said that this actually looks better because of less compression or no compression. So since your cable company doesn't offer UPN & WB, these channels would have to be broadcast over the air for you to get them through the internal tuner and antenna. If they are not broadcast and are not on your cable lineup then you are out of luck.

BRANDONH
11-01-2005, 11:32 AM

If the cable co. does not offer those or any local channels in digital HD then yes you will need Either a built-in or external ATSC tuner and a Over The Air antenna to pick up WB (http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/main/television/television.jsp?frompage=wb_homepage) & UPN (http://www.upn.com/) (UPN does not have much HD) and any other locals not offered in HD by your cable provider.

And I think that My OTA gets a better HD picture than my satellite does with the exception of HD Net which has a fantastic picture.

s dog
11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
I agree with you on that one, HD Net has a great picture and my OTA looks better than some of the other HD stuff on my satellite .