Anyone watching the Denver-Philly game? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching the Denver-Philly game?

MindGoneHaywire
10-30-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm not, really, I left the Fox channel on after the Giants-Redskins game ended. They just came back from a commercial break, and the bumper they used was...Salad Days...by...

MINOR THREAT?!?

I know I heard it. Does this seem like something Ian MacKaye would actually allow? Even if not for that, the idea of it is more bizarre than any placement of music within something broadcast on television than anything I think I've ever seen.

Hyfi
10-30-2005, 02:48 PM
I'm not, really, I left the Fox channel on after the Giants-Redskins game ended. They just came back from a commercial break, and the bumper they used was...Salad Days...by...

MINOR THREAT?!?

I know I heard it. Does this seem like something Ian MacKaye would actually allow? Even if not for that, the idea of it is more bizarre than any placement of music within something broadcast on television than anything I think I've ever seen.

Yes but it's getting turned off for a movie

MindGoneHaywire
10-31-2005, 02:35 PM
I sent an email to Dischord & got a reply today, one they sent to a LOT of people, apparently, who contacted them about it. They said they're looking into it. I saw something somewhere that said there's nothing illegal about it, but I have to wonder if the person who chose to use that tune knows anything about how strictly they've always maintained their standard when it comes to the concept of 'selling out.'

Davey
10-31-2005, 02:55 PM
Even if not for that, the idea of it is more bizarre than any placement of music within something broadcast on television than anything I think I've ever seen.
Well, not sure how bizarre it is really these days. They got a lot of publicity a few months ago when Nike had to apologize for "inadvertently" using a very similar image to their self-titled album on their "Major Threat" East Coast skateboarding tour. All manner of punk and rap and alternative and electronic and IDM and indie and dance and classic rock music has been used in the last few years for both promotions and intros, so how far behind did we think DC hardcore would be. Can't say that I really care that much if they aren't violating any copyrights and are compensating the owners as required ;)

MindGoneHaywire
11-02-2005, 12:01 AM
>Nike had to apologize for "inadvertently" using a very similar image to their self-titled album on their "Major Threat" East Coast skateboarding tour.

That's part of what makes this as bizarre as it is. Think Nike would've come up with that campaign, where they had to carve their own facsimile, if Dischord were run by the sort of people who had the slightest interest in corporate endorsements? It's all the more bizarre since you'd think an outfit like Fox would've been aware of what Nike had to do there.

>All manner of punk and rap and alternative and electronic and IDM and indie and dance and classic rock music has been used in the last few years for both promotions and intros, so how far behind did we think DC hardcore would be.

DC hardcore is one manner of punk that I thought would've lagged way behind. Unless you want to say the Bad Brains are DC hardcore, not NYC...I don't even know if one would be more accurate than the other...since 'Pay To Cum' was prominently & very effectively used in Martin Scorsese's great 'After Hours' nearly 20 years ago.

I certainly didn't think Minor Threat was something I was going to be hearing...within a football broadcast!

>Can't say that I really care that much if they aren't violating any copyrights and are compensating the owners as required

Yeah, well, that's the thing. I guess they can't be infringing if they actually did something like that, where you know there's no way the copyright owner--how could it not be Dischord?--would've consented. I did see a remark from someone who said that there's some sort of 'one-time-use' allowance, which would mean that Fox wasn't violating any copyrights. It's something I wasn't aware of. Is there an act you could name in any genre that's more protective of how their music is used than some of the Dischord people?

Yeah, I know. The Doors.

Davey
11-02-2005, 10:51 AM
That's part of what makes this as bizarre as it is. Think Nike would've come up with that campaign, where they had to carve their own facsimile, if Dischord were run by the sort of people who had the slightest interest in corporate endorsements? It's all the more bizarre since you'd think an outfit like Fox would've been aware of what Nike had to do there.
Yea, guess I don't understand your logic nor why you think it's so bizarre. Do you really think Nike was hurt by that little Minor Threat controversy? Seems like all they had to do was make a little "wink wink" apology. Was there some damges to pay or a lawsuit or widescale public outrage or something? Guess I missed it. Fox just wanted to seem as "cool" as Nike.

DC hardcore is one manner of punk that I thought would've lagged way behind....I certainly didn't think Minor Threat was something I was going to be hearing...within a football broadcast!

Well, it has lagged way behind. Who would've thought 10 or 20 years ago that you'd be hearing so many commercials with Iggy Pop, Cop Shoot Cop, Pere Ubu, Blind Melon, Nico, Clash, Galaxie 500, Minutemen and all the rest. Or new bands like My Morning Jacket even? Just doesn't seem all that bizarre to hear any kind of music in the intro to a football game anymore based on mainstream acceptance. They obviously picked the right one to play if they even got people to post on message boards and email the record label :)

Is there an act you could name in any genre that's more protective of how their music is used than some of the Dischord people?
Well, I don't really pay much attention to that side of the music business. I know Fugazi has always tried to keep tight control of the performance side, but I'd think most bands would love to hear their music on TV or radio, as long as it isn't being used to directly promote something they didn't give permission for. And yea, I know it is kind of being used in support of Fox, but it just doesn't seem like any endorsement is implied just by using the song as part of an intro, although I didn't see the spot.

MindGoneHaywire
11-02-2005, 07:29 PM
>Yea, guess I don't understand your logic nor why you think it's so bizarre.

>I know Fugazi has always tried to keep tight control of the performance side...
>as long as it isn't being used to directly promote something they didn't give permission for.

Looks like you do understand, to me!

I don't think it's necessarily a Fox issue; the Fox News Channel aside, News Corp. is responsible for an awful lot of entertainment that is harshly criticized by some on the right wing, which is a political leaning a lot of people automatically associate with anything having to do with "Fox." Sorry for bringing politics in it at all...the thing is, that based on everything I've ever read about Dischord, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Ian MacKaye, et al...I think they'd be against any of their work used in that context by anybody without being asked, which they weren't according to the email I got back from Dischord.

After the initial shock of hearing that song by that particular band, maintaining interest in it, I just want you to know that I wasn't looking at it like, hey, that's wrong, it was done without permission, they should sue, whatever. Fox, like other networks, radio stations, etc., does pay a blanket fee to PROs like ASCAP & can play clips like that. It is difficult to understand why that song would be chosen--I mean, the instrumental intro does build, which has some manner of a dramatic effect, I guess, but given that there are so many others they could've used, it really threw me for a loop. And there's what I consider to be a pointed irony in the idea of Minor Threat music being used in that manner, given the culture of professional football & its broadcasts these days.

I do have a TV, Davey, you know, it's not a shock anymore to hear the Stooges or the Buzzcocks or whatever in car commercials. The first few times, sure, but after awhile it's no longer a suprise to hear My Morning Jacket or even a Muffs song used that way. But Minor Threat is a very specific exception, given how they've conducted their business for the past 25 years. You yrself say you are aware of how they do things...so while I don't expect others to have had the reaction I did, I would think you would understand why I spent some of my time over the past few days thinking about how bizarre this is. Hell, I wonder if those songs, if Minor Threat is even a member of ASCAP or BMI. If they're not, then I would wonder if they would in fact have some sort of gripe to pursue here. And since I do pay attention to this aspect of the music business, I do find the whole thing to be extremely strange, and compelling also.

Davey
11-03-2005, 08:28 AM
And since I do pay attention to this aspect of the music business, I do find the whole thing to be extremely strange, and compelling also.
OK, but don't you ever feel that you take some things a little too seriously Jay? Just wondering ;)

Hyfi
11-03-2005, 08:57 AM
I have no idea who you guys are talking about but did you ever notice that in almost every hockey game and even football they play Ozzie and Black Sabbath? My God! Devil worship at sporting events.

On a stranger note, somewhere in the midwest there is a lady who travels to schools and introduces children to meditation. Now we have the whacko religious groups protesting that she is trying to change thier religion or worse yet turn them all into little whiches. They never stop to realize that one of the major pathways to god is through meditation. I'll bet all thier kids went out for Halloween......to celebrate another Pagan Ritual like having a Christmas Tree.

Sorry if I was off topic but this looked like as good a place as any to rant.

MindGoneHaywire
11-03-2005, 08:59 AM
I take the music business very seriously, yes. And I do find it compelling given that I kinda doubt Minor Threat was a member of ASCAP or BMI, which calls into question whether or not the blanket licenses purchased by networks for these uses covers that material. If it doesn't, then I think it could get pretty interesting.