Songs that remind you of loved ones who have passed... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Songs that remind you of loved ones who have passed...

Hyfi
10-30-2005, 12:26 PM
What songs remind you of people that have passed away? I grew up with a girl who lost her dad when she was about 15. Her song was Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce. To this day it can make me get something in my eye...(I am not crying).

Hyfi

Davey
10-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Whenever I listen to the title track from Neutral Milk Hotel In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, and Mangum gets to the line that goes ...

And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea

I can't help but think of my dad, and how he died way too young, and how I stood with tears in my eyes on the rocks at Morro Bay, with my mom and brother and sister, while the plane flew by overhead, letting his ashes fly over the sea. That's the strongest one for me. But I did have a good friend that died in a motorcycle accident, and his family played that Jim Croce song at his funeral service. What song do you want at yours? I better put together a list while my body is still pumping blood, or they'll wind up playing something that makes my dead head spin. Gotta have some Enon "Natural Disaster", and Notwist "Consequence", and Yo La Tengo "Blue Line Swinger", and Richard Davies "Confederate Cheerio Call", and ... ;)

Hyfi
10-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Whenever I listen to the title track from Neutral Milk Hotel In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, and Mangum gets to the line that goes ...

And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea

I can't help but think of my dad, and how he died way too young, and how I stood with tears in my eyes on the rocks at Morro Bay, with my mom and brother and sister, while the plane flew by overhead, letting his ashes fly over the sea. That's the strongest one for me. But I did have a good friend that died in a motorcycle accident, and his family played that Jim Croce song at his funeral service. What song do you want at yours? I better put together a list while my body is still pumping blood, or they'll wind up playing something that makes my dead head spin. Gotta have some Enon "Natural Disaster", and Notwist "Consequence", and Yo La Tengo "Blue Line Swinger", and Richard Davies "Confederate Cheerio Call", and ... ;)

I just lost my dad 2 weeks ago. His memorial service was yesterday and my mom has some of his ashes to spread at our family cabin later this week. He was not a very musical guy so I don't have a song.

ForeverAutumn
10-30-2005, 03:00 PM
I just lost my dad 2 weeks ago. His memorial service was yesterday and my mom has some of his ashes to spread at our family cabin later this week. He was not a very musical guy so I don't have a song.

I don't have a song either. But everytime I see the movie Shane on TV, I think of my Dad. It was his favourite book and he made me read it when I was a kid. It became one of my favourites too. We took a line from the book for his epitaph.

Bri, sorry to hear about your Dad. You will find songs, and movies and all kinds of things that will remind you of him and make you think of him when you least expect it. I once cried at a baseball game because it was a great game and I knew that my Dad would have enjoyed it and was missing it. Take those moments and remember the great things that you loved about him. If you do, he will always be with you.

Hyfi
10-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Bri, sorry to hear about your Dad. You will find songs, and movies and all kinds of things that will remind you of him and make you think of him when you least expect it.

There are plenty of other things that will always remind me of him. Since he was diagnosed on Memorial day, I have cried just about every time I mow my lawn. He loved his lawn and mowing it. Growing up we had the one that looked like a golf course. We were not allowed to play on it. I sometimes got yelled at for playing on other people's lawns. Needless to say, I will carry on the tradition.

Thanks

noddin0ff
10-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Power and Glory by Lou Reed from Magic and Loss (track 3). The whole albums about losing loved ones to cancer/aids. Powerfull stuff.

I saw a great man turn into a little child
the cancer reduce him to dust
His voice growing weak as he fought for his life
with a bravery few men know

I saw isotopes introduced into his lungs
trying to stop the cancerous spread
And it made me think of "Leda And The Swan"
and gold being made from lead

The same power that burned Hiroshima
causing three legged babies and death
Shrunk to the size of a nickel
to help him regain his breath

And I was struck by the power and the glory
I was visited by a majestic Him
Great bolts of lightning lighting up the sky
as the radiation flowed through him

Swish
10-30-2005, 05:00 PM

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. Go ahead and keep that lawn as nice as you can and yell at anyone who tries to step on it.

This has been a very tough year for me as far as death is concerned. I have yet another viewing to attend Tuesday night for the father of a good friend. Heck, as old as my friends and I are getting, it's inevitable that we're going to see our parents leave this planet, along with an assortment of aunts, uncles, and other older friends. My parents are 82 and 79 and still doing ok, but they can't live forever.

I can't think of too many songs right now, although my recently departed sister-in-law (lung cancer) used to love "Living on a Prayer". I can't stand Bon Jovi, but whenever I hear it...and it's not very often thankfully, I do think of her and her old 80s big hair. She used to look like a young Michele Pfeifer (is that how she spells her name), but the cigarettes took their toll over the years and she looked older than her age.

Now I want to vent at any cigarette smokers out there. Give 'em up before it's too late to save yourself. They have to be about the worst habit one could have short of meth, crack, or heroine.

Swish

N.P. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Dusty Chalk
10-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Living Years, Mike + the Mechanics -- my dad and I parted with unfinished business, so the whole topic hits pretty close to home. I was in the store the other day, and it came on -- I had to go find a quiet part of the store so I wouldn't get caught.

Stone
10-31-2005, 06:15 AM
I only have one and it's a bit of a strange one. I had a friend, Jess, (who was also my ex-wife's first cousin) commit suicide when we were all in college at Iowa State together.

He and I hung out once in a while in college, but mostly partying together. He was a pretty straight-laced guy who didn't show much of an interest in music at all, and when he did it was mainstream stuff. I was part of a group/club that put on some punk/indie shows around town, mostly in church basements and halls. One night we had Neurosis play in a church basement, and the Libido Boyz* opened for them. The Libido Boyz blew both of us away that night. He was so into it he bought stickers and their 7" even though he didn't have a turntable. It was strange for me to see that in him, but very cool in my eyes. He committed suicide about a year later, and none of us saw it coming.

So every time I play that first 7" (which isn't all that often these days, although I still like it a bunch), especially "You're Punishing Yourself By Hurting Me," I think of him.

* The Libido Boyz were a punk band from Mankato, MN (and later Minneapolis) who were pretty much just starting out at that time and had just pressed their first 7". They later got some press, and signed to Red Decibel, but by that time their sound was quite diluted compared to when we saw them in that church basement.

Bernd
10-31-2005, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=Stone]I only have one and it's a bit of a strange one. I had a friend, Jess, (who was also my ex-wife's first cousin) commit suicide when we were all in college at Iowa State together.

He and I hung out once in a while in college, but mostly partying together. He was a pretty straight-laced guy who didn't show much of an interest in music at all, and when he did it was mainstream stuff. I was part of a group/club that put on some punk/indie shows around town, mostly in church basements and halls. One night we had Neurosis play in a church basement, and the Libido Boyz* opened for them. The Libido Boyz blew both of us away that night. He was so into it he bought stickers and their 7" even though he didn't have a turntable. It was strange for me to see that in him, but very cool in my eyes. He committed suicide about a year later, and none of us saw it coming.

So every time I play that first 7" (which isn't all that often these days, although I still like it a bunch), especially "You're Punishing Yourself By Hurting Me," I think of him.

* The Libido Boyz were a punk band from Mankato, MN (and later Minneapolis) who were pretty much just starting out at that time and had just pressed their first 7". They later got some press, and signed to Red Decibel, but by that time their sound was quite diluted compared to when we saw them in that church basement.[/QUOT

Hi,

This is a very sad story. I went through a similar experience and nobody saw it coming.The music that mattered here was a band from the 70's "Aerial" and the Album was "In the middle of the Night".

So here is a toast to all those tortured souls who are now free!

Peace

Bernd

What's playing:See above

JohnMichael
10-31-2005, 08:20 AM
When I was 20 the love of my life would come over and play and sing for me. The last song was Art Garfunkel's Break Away. We were 20 and 19 and at 19 my love died in a car accident. To this day I can be shopping or doing something out in public and if I catch that tune and I am not careful tears can still flow.

Audio Girl
10-31-2005, 10:08 AM
First, Hify, I want to say how sorry I am about the death of your father...my friends who have lost a parent say that it is a tough thing to go through no matter how old you are. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers...

It's ironic that this topic was posted today. Last night, I happened to mention to my husband while we were listening to Queen's "A Night At The Opera" that every time I hear "Love of My Life" I think of my cousin, John. He was killed in August 1977 while riding his motorcycle home from work @ 6:30 a.m. An intoxicated driver of an 18-wheeler ran a red light at a major intersection in Dallas, and hit John. He lived one week but the internal injuries were too substantial. My heart broke for our family...his parents, my aunt and uncle, had already lost an 18-month-old boy named John many years prior. Anyway, John's favorite song at the time of his death was "Love of My Life". I miss him alot, and it's easy to get choked up when that song is played.

Hyfi
11-05-2005, 07:01 PM
I think I've found my song. I allways loved this one and now it has better meaning for me.

Renaissance- I Think Of You

I love you like a stream flows restless to the sea
See you like the mist touches clouds, touches me
See you in the stars wherever you may be
I think of you, think of you

If ever you're near and have some time to spend
I love you every way, love you like a friend
And then when you leave a whisper in my mind

When I see a bird fly over to the sea
And the sun in the sky is shining warm and free
And when I feel the wind blow cool over me

jack70
11-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Sorry to hear that Brian. Keep your chin up.... only time can really help. I dread it myself... my own parents are both doing well, but both are also in their 80's. At that age every day's a gift. My dad still chops wood, shovels the driveway (and cuts the grass!). And he'll probably outlive me (I'm serious). But at that age even a "minor" thing (fall, infection, virus, etc) can drop you into a death spiral. My brother-in-law's mom was extremely healthy, then went into the hospital for a minor operation and died from what was probably (I'll charitably call) a "mistake," something that's all too common in many hospitals. (no legal action, but many mistakes (of all kinds) are well documented... they ARE epidemic.). I've also had 2 uncles die over the past year.

But NONE of us are getting any younger. In fact many of my own friends (my age & younger) have already died.... dozens & dozens. My best friend growing up had an anyurism at 22. It's all pretty depressing. So I've got a LOAD of stories like the one below, but I'll keep it down to one, so as to not bum you all (& myself) out too much.

Memorable tune: one of the most emotional for me is "Save Your Heart For Me" by Gary Lewis & the Playboys (a #1 hit in 65)...
MUSIC SIDENOTE: They were one of a very few bands to challenge the Beatles on the charts (if only for a limited time). They had 10 top-20 hits over a 2-year period. Except for the Stones, very few bands can say as much during the 63-69 era that the Beatles RULED over. Even well known bands like the Animals (9 top-20)... Yardbirds (5-top-20)... Kinks (7-top-20)... Hollies (5... depends how ya count), didn't equal them. The Mama's & Papa's were just a tad more "successful" than GL & the Playboys. Paul Revere & Raiders (11-top20s) was one rare band that bettered them, although they recorded over a longer period. (G. Lewis was drafted & the band split). (BTW, Paul Revere never charted in the UK!). The Dave Clark 5 (14 hits) was another, although, like most of the others, they were (comparitively) short-lived & couldn't sustain the magic either (alongside the Beatles). I'm sure I'm missing others...LOL (Beach Boys & Monkees come to mind...).

Anyway, my cousin Sandy loved "Save Your Heart For Me" and played the 45 a lot for the 2 weeks they stayed at our house before her family moved to Europe. I was still new to pop music, in fact it was Sandy, her brother & sister who got me into that the year before. Sandy was 2-3 years older, her brother & sisters nearly my age... close enough to interact closely, yet older enough to be into all the "hipper" stuff" those my age were constantly searching for (everything from toys to books etc)... for example, they turned me on to "surfer shirts" in '60 when I visited them in Calif... long before that later became hip nationwide.

Some years later as college students, Bill & Sandy were both in a car when a drunk driver killed them (head-on at 90mph). I'd seen a few older relatives die at that age (I was 16), but this was different, and truly awful. I've met a LOT of nice kids in my life, before & since, but none were as sweet as Sandy was... I can hear her sweet laugh right now. And few were as smart & talented as Bill. Watching my mom walk into the funeral parlor to meet her (very close) younger sister was heartbreaking. My aunt was special too... just like her daughter. Both my aunt & uncle have since died themselves, although their 2 other daughters still live in CO. I often wonder how history would be different today if... and I still shake my head when I see how 35-50,000 continue to (needlessly) die every year on our roads, all with passive public acceptance. Maybe if politics were involved it might be different... (that's sarcasm).

Anyway, everytime I hear that tune... it's like 40 years have vanished. And if I'm in a particularly introspective or depressed state of mind, it CAN bring tears. I remember Sandy smiling & laughing at me (young kid) while I scoffed cookies fresh out of the oven she was baking, just like it was yesterday. I think that's the thing that music does especially well... helps evoke emotion & memories that might otherwise be hard to get at in one's memory... they get right into your soul. I guess that's (partly) why music is so special to us all.

BTW, Rennaisance is especially good at setting a reflective yet positive tone on almost all of their stuff. I'd also remind you that my vol-3 comp was made on (for) the death of John Entwistle, so all those songs there are kinda themed on that (kinda) depressing theme. Take care.