iPod Ripping... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : iPod Ripping...

audiobill
10-30-2005, 09:29 AM
iPod/RaveReckers,

I'm ripping some of my CDs into iTunes for my new iPod.

What's the best format, for best sound on my new iPod:

AAC

AIFF

Apple Lossless

MP3

WAV

Variable rate or automatic?

Is 256kbps high quality enough, without sacrificing too much space?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've had no time to play with the new iPod, due to work, work, work,...

Any RaveReckers' expertise is truly appreciated.

Cheers,

audiobill

ForeverAutumn
10-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Bill, I've been ripping CDs to MP3 at 192 kbps (256 doesn't appear to be an option on my version). The quality is good enough. Although with the larger hard-drive that yours has, you may as well go with 256kbps. How many thousands of songs are you trying to fit on that thing anyway???

audiobill
10-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Bill, I've been ripping CDs to MP3 at 192 kbps (256 doesn't appear to be an option on my version). The quality is good enough. Although with the larger hard-drive that yours has, you may as well go with 256kbps. How many thousands of songs are you trying to fit on that thing anyway???

Thanks for responding, ForeverA.

I was thinking the same. 256 might give me that little bit extra quality.

Do you, or perhaps Barry, know if Apple's "Lossless" format is worth using, rather than MP3?
I've heard that it saves harddrive space.

As for your question: I want thousands of albums & partial albums on it.

Cheers,

Bill

noddin0ff
10-30-2005, 03:54 PM
If you ever consider using the same files to go direct from a computer to a stereo, or you want to view your hardrive as a true backup of your loseable CD's, it's not a bad idea to consider lossless...

But >196 I personally think is adequate for earbuds.

Dusty Chalk
10-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Mp3, via Lame, if possible. I have a friend who went with apple lossless for a while, but (a) lot of drag on the battery, and (b) seriously reduced the number of tracks he could put on it, forcing him to reload more frequently, and he decided that it was not worth it.

Troy
10-31-2005, 07:10 AM
196 seems to be fine for most applications. I don't think it's good enough for high volume active listening on the livingroom hi-fi, but it's fine for earbuds, the car, computer or boombox play.

audiobill
10-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks-a-ton, everyone for all of your help.

I think I'll steer clear, for now, from Lossless files (seem to be too big); as well as ACC files since their too proprietary.

I've settled on 256 Mp3s at variable rate.

I'll see how that goes.

Thanks, again.

Bill

Mr MidFi
10-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Bill, that's what I would do if I had more than my 20 GBs to play with. 192kps works fine for me in the car or on my office stereo (like right now). But every time I play it on the home stereo, it's like...close, but no cigar.

NP: Psycho Furs, "President Gas"