Release of the Year [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Release of the Year

Bernd
10-30-2005, 03:27 AM
Hi,
I know we still have two months to go, but what are your favourite releases of 2005?

My fav's for the year are:

The Waterboys-Karma to Burn
Neil Young-Greatest Hits
Coldplay-X&Y
Bruce Springsteen-Devils and Dust

A good year for music me thinks.

Enjoy the music

Bernd

Slosh
10-30-2005, 04:35 AM
2005 started out slow for me but I've amassed quite a decent amount of new releases looking back now. My favorites (so far):

Stephen Malkmus - Face The Truth
Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft
Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production Of Eggs
The Decemberists - Picaresque
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Spoon - Gimme Fiction
Calexico/Iron & Wine - In The Reins (7 song EP)
American Analog Set - Set Free
Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
Rogue Wave - Descended Like Vultures
13 & God
Fruit Bats - Spelled In Bones

second tier:

Son Volt - Okemah And The Melody Of Riot
Ryan Adams - Cold Roses
Beck - Guerro

ForeverAutumn
10-30-2005, 05:32 AM
Let's see.

Green Day - American Idiot
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
The Trews - Den of Theives
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs

That's all off the top of my head. I'm sure that there should be a couple of others on the list. If I think of 'em, I'll add 'em in later.

Bernd
10-30-2005, 05:41 AM
Of Course-Green Day. How could I......?

Peace

Bernd

MindGoneHaywire
10-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Well, you couldn't, since it came out in 2004, but that's okay.

Beck--Guero
Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out
Duke Ellington Presents
Bob Mould--Body Of Song
Bob Dylan--No Direction Home
Dan Sartain vs. the Serpientes
Terry Reid--Superlungs
The Redwalls--De Nova
The Konks
The Modern Sounds Of The Knitters

...also the Big Star & Thelonius Monk w/John Coltrane recs...Run-DMC reissues...Basquat Salutes Jazz...and there are new Junior Brown & Fleshtones recs, but I haven't digested those yet...and, the uh, comedy record of the year, the double-live Queen with Paul Rodgers thang...wow.

Bernd
10-30-2005, 09:51 AM

Beck--Guero
Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out
Duke Ellington Presents
Bob Mould--Body Of Song
Bob Dylan--No Direction Home
Dan Sartain vs. the Serpientes
Terry Reid--Superlungs
The Redwalls--De Nova
The Konks
The Modern Sounds Of The Knitters

...also the Big Star & Thelonius Monk w/John Coltrane recs...Run-DMC reissues...Basquat Salutes Jazz...and there are new Junior Brown & Fleshtones recs, but I haven't digested those yet...and, the uh, comedy record of the year, the double-live Queen with Paul Rodgers thang...wow.

That's why it (green day) didn't figure first time round.
I second the vote for Comedy record of the year. What are they thinking of?

Peace

Bernd

ForeverAutumn
10-30-2005, 10:06 AM

Doh! My bad. Well, it's still on my list. :p

Davey
10-30-2005, 10:27 AM
2005 started out slow for me but I've amassed quite a decent amount of new releases looking back now. My favorites (so far):

Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production Of Eggs
The Decemberists - Picaresque
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Spoon - Gimme Fiction

My list is kinda like my buddy Sloshmonkey's, but my tastes are a bit more discriminating so I culled some of his chaff and added some of my wheat ... but still early ... who's in for a Turkey Time comp this year?

;)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/favorites.htm#2005

Dusty Chalk
10-30-2005, 10:33 PM
So far, contenders: Pixel Revolt, John Vanderslice; Always Never Again, Super/System; With Teeth, Nine Inch Nails; Frances the Mute, Mars Volta; LCD Soundsystem; Fresh Wine for the Horses, Rob Dickinson; Black Mountain

Jim Clark
10-31-2005, 06:40 AM
I've got a dark horse or two who might just sneak into a top spot, among the best I have heard so far this year:

The National- Alligator
Editors - The Back Room
Stars - Set Yourself On Fire
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (better make that L Yeah!)
The Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff
Wolf Parade - Apologies To Queen Mary

The real dark horse has to be Erasure's Nightbird. I wasn't all that impressed when I got it then about a week ago I pulled it out again to listen to some synthpop on the new gear. Mind blowing in that it may very well be their best album. I don't think I need to mention that having their best album after 20 years isn't something just every band can lay claim to. I don't know, it just hits me. I haven't grabbed Andy Bell's solo album yet but I don't see how it can top this. Of course synthpop detractors will see all of this differently.

jc

Stone
10-31-2005, 07:36 AM
The real dark horse has to be Erasure's Nightbird. I wasn't all that impressed when I got it then about a week ago I pulled it out again to listen to some synthpop on the new gear. Mind blowing in that it may very well be their best album. I don't think I need to mention that having their best album after 20 years isn't something just every band can lay claim to. I don't know, it just hits me.
jc

I'm going to have to get this. I bought everything they put out for the first three or 4 years of their existence, then lost interest around the time Wild! came out, and haven't bought anything since (except for Abba-esque).

Dave_G
10-31-2005, 08:27 AM
IQ - Dark Matter

The more I listen to this pup the more and more I like it.

Dave

Audio Girl
10-31-2005, 09:32 AM
I haven't purchased much music this year but one of my favorites is Neil Young's "Prairie Wind". From start to finish, it is a gem. Not up to par with his older classics but right there with "Silver & Gold" IMHO.

3-LockBox
10-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Porky Tree- Deadwing
Rpwl- World Through My Eyes
Opeth- Ghost Reveries

caniac
10-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Dark Tranquillity -- Character
Arch Enemy -- Doomsday Machine
Fear Factory -- Transgression

Needless to say, I've been in a NASTY mood lately. ;)

JDaniel
10-31-2005, 07:10 PM
One stands head and shoulders above the rest for me: Micah P. Hinson & the Gospel of Progress. In fact, nothing is even close IMHO to this April '05 release (US Release).

Here's a description:
Album Description
At the age of 19, Micah met the widow of a notable rock star who was initially his muse, then his downfall. After forging prescriptions, he was sent to county jail, then found himself homeless and penniless. During this "lost" period, he penned these songs. His twisted, dark tales of love and loss are matched only by a cracked vocal and songwriting that belies his mere 22 years. Received glowing critical acclaim in the UK press where the record was released in 2004 on Sketchbook Records. For fans of Silver Jews, Bright Eyes, Mark Lanegan, and other gifted literate singer-songwriters. He walks the fine line of heart on your sleeve lyrics and raw emotion, but does so in a way that never goes too far without you feeling he really means it. Repeated listens will render you helpless over its charm.

JDaniel

3-LockBox
10-31-2005, 07:45 PM
Man oh man....What is up with the Vols?!?!

Does Spurrier have UT's number or what? (Gawd, I hate Spurrier)

I can't remember the last time UT went into November with a losing record (3-4)

Yeeouch!

JDaniel
10-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Yep Todd, it does suck. Thankfully our offensive coordinator (very offensive) resigned today. That's a step in the right direction. But we will get slaughtered at Notre Dame on Saturday. Ugly won't describe it. The only thing worse than this was when I was in graduate school at UT back in the late 80s and they started 0-6.

I'm personally ready for basketball season.

JD

Davey
10-31-2005, 08:10 PM
One stands head and shoulders above the rest for me: Micah P. Hinson & the Gospel of Progress. In fact, nothing is even close IMHO to this April '05 release (US Release).
Yea JD, that is a good one. Our buddy tentoze keeps telling me that we have to call it a 2004 release so it doesn't count this year. I'm thinking I'll probably go with your accounting system since I live in the US like you, not in Nevada ;)

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=104053&postcount=32

JDaniel
10-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Yea JD, that is a good one. Our buddy tentoze keeps telling me that we have to call it a 2004 release so it doesn't count this year. I'm thinking I'll probably go with your accounting system since I live in the US like you, not in Nevada ;)

Yeah, well, as you know Davey, toze is on a different system than us mere mortals. He gets all his new releases long before the release date, and some before we can even read about them or pre-order them. I'm not sure what exactly he does to his music industry contact to get these releases, but I'm sure it involves declining morals, and maybe confused sexual preferences. But that's just conjecture of course.;):D:confused:

JD

JDaniel
10-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Couple of others I forgot to mention that make my "best of " list:

Mary Gauthier - Mercy Now

John Prine - Fair & Square

Buddy Miller - Universal United House of Prayer (might be a late '04 release, but I didn't find it until this spring. So sue me).

One that I really anticipated, but which disappointed me greatly was Lucinda Williams - Live at the Fillmore. Her voice was horrible at times. And the production was a major disappointment, considering they had almost two years after the concert to work on it.

JD

Troy
10-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Kino- Picture
Echolyn- The End is Beautiful
Porcupine Tree- Deadwing

Are my favorites right now.

But I tell ya. NOW is the time to pick best of the year for like 2000 or 2001. We've had enough time to digest things, see if they have legs and also to discover stuff that came out that we missed.

Troy
10-31-2005, 09:55 PM
since I live in the US like you, not in Nevada ;)

I was in Nevada last week, took this picture. Kinda says it all about that state for me.

http://www.designshed.com/trip/tono11.9b.jpg

tentoze
10-31-2005, 09:57 PM

I'm calling it a 2k5 lately, thank yew very much- cuz if I don't, I won't have a #1 for the year. Ithas precedence, since I did the same thing last year with Regard The End, as I recall...

tentoze
10-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Great pic, Troy.

tentoze
10-31-2005, 10:01 PM
Couple of others I forgot to mention that make my "best of " list:

Mary Gauthier - Mercy Now

John Prine - Fair & Square

JD
I gots a live boot of Mary Gauthier this wk-end, JD...it's good as well.

As for Prine, my luck is holding true to form- I'm flying to Jax for the holidays on 12/15; guess who's playing there on 12/14....

Bernd
11-01-2005, 12:43 AM
I gots a live boot of Mary Gauthier this wk-end, JD...it's good as well.

As for Prine, my luck is holding true to form- I'm flying to Jax for the holidays on 12/15; guess who's playing there on 12/14....

Hi,
You lucky guy.I would love to see John Prine. He doesn't seem to come across the Ocean.
Let me know how he was and have a nice festive time.

Peace

Bernd