Good music speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good music speakers?

Whatever6750
10-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Im in need of some good speakers for mostly music. probly like 95$ or so music. So im thinking just 2.1. Right now i have about $500 might be able to spend some more than that if i wait a week or so.

Thease will need to be able to play music at pritty loud levels for some weekends ;) So maybe something allong the lines of cerwin vega? From what ive herd there not to accrate and more for partys. Alot of the time i would just be playing music while at the computer at regular levels/not vary loud so maybe the vegas wouldent be so good for that? I do want good sounding music not just loud rattle the windows loud. I was looking at some MTX ALL212s thay look nice cant find much info on them. Any help would be greatly apreasheated. Thanks!

PS. I also need to get a receiver with the 500or so.

Mike Anderson
10-29-2005, 11:45 PM
I just got the Magnepan MMGs for $550, and I absolutely love them. You need an amp with a lot of juice though, and possibly a subwoofer if you want a real strong bass punch.

But a lot of people will tell you those are the best speakers in that price range; I haven't tried them all, but I believe them!

RGA
10-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Im in need of some good speakers for mostly music. probly like 95$ or so music. So im thinking just 2.1. Right now i have about $500 might be able to spend some more than that if i wait a week or so.

Thease will need to be able to play music at pritty loud levels for some weekends ;) So maybe something allong the lines of cerwin vega? From what ive herd there not to accrate and more for partys. Alot of the time i would just be playing music while at the computer at regular levels/not vary loud so maybe the vegas wouldent be so good for that? I do want good sounding music not just loud rattle the windows loud. I was looking at some MTX ALL212s thay look nice cant find much info on them. Any help would be greatly apreasheated. Thanks!

I gather you listen to rock music so as nice as the Maggies are I found their upper 1.6 lacking in this regard so the MMG wll be really not what you're looking for. I would wait for a sale and look at Athena Acoustics and a Yamaha receiver which might be packaged for $500.00. If you wait till boxing Day you could probably get an Energy C-5 and a Yamaha or marantz receiver for $500.00 -- also by then you may have more money and could afford something like the Energy C9 whcih would be more able to rock the house - I stress this is a starting point suggestion and not necessarily the route I would definitely go - but Energy is generally good value for money in the budget more full range speaker line.

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 01:07 AM
I gather you listen to rock music so as nice as the Maggies are I found their upper 1.6 lacking in this regard so the MMG wll be really not what you're looking for. I would wait for a sale and look at Athena Acoustics and a Yamaha receiver which might be packaged for $500.00. If you wait till boxing Day you could probably get an Energy C-5 and a Yamaha or marantz receiver for $500.00 -- also by then you may have more money and could afford something like the Energy C9 whcih would be more able to rock the house - I stress this is a starting point suggestion and not necessarily the route I would definitely go - but Energy is generally good value for money in the budget more full range speaker line.

Would you happen to have a link to the speakers your talking about? And whats thease packaged deals? ie the yamaha rx and speakers. And whats this "boxing day" thing?

Sorry if thease are stupid questions.

PS. Yes i do listen to rock. More of the hevy side so whatever i get would need decent bass.

Feanor
10-30-2005, 02:44 AM
Would you happen to have a link to the speakers your talking about? And whats thease packaged deals? ie the yamaha rx and speakers. And whats this "boxing day" thing?

Sorry if thease are stupid questions.

PS. Yes i do listen to rock. More of the hevy side so whatever i get would need decent bass.
See the Energy C5's here ...

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=24
As for Boxing Day, I'll leave that for RGA to explain in details. Let's just say it's the day after Christmas when things are on sale.

Florian
10-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Don't let yourself be fooled. Maggies do Rock, and especially when you are playing life recordings. Acoustic Guitar, Rock Guitar and Bass Guitar and voices sound extremely natural and in all their tonal color. And Maggies do just that, and if you want more bass or higher volumes then you can get a bigger Maggie. As for a entry system the MMG's cant be beat in terms of musicality and realness. Yes they dont kick you in the stomach like some old JBL's will but your music is not all bass. Check them out and if you dont like them return them, they have a 60 day return or so. Take it from someone who has lived with 4 Maggies over the years and continues upwards with ribbon planars.

Have a look in our planar section for pictures, information and manufacturers!

http://forums.audioreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Cheers

Flo

PS: MMG's go used for 325$ which leaves 200 for a good used Cambridge Audio and that is almost the same system i had when i started and i never looked back again.

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 10:26 AM
So whats the deal with thease mmg's there like 3' thick... Is there like a fue rilly shallow speakers in them? Maybe some one can exsplain. Thanks.

Mike Anderson
10-30-2005, 11:13 AM
The MMGs aren't cone speakers, they're planar speakers. The technology is described here:

http://www.magnepan.com/maggie_tech.php

Instead of a cone, the speakers use a very thin ribbon suspended between bar magnets. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about it though, I'm sure others can describe it more insightfully.

I know what people mean when they say the MMGs aren't as good for rock. I've been told they don't push air the same way cones do, so they lack that "punch in the chest" that cone speakers can give you. To some extent this is solved with the addition of a subwoofer, as I have done.

But there are also subjective taste differences; some people might like them just fine for rock (as Florian does), and who's to say they're wrong? If you can find a Magnepan dealer around you, you can try them out yourself.

I will say (and I think nobody would dispute) that for clarity, accuracy and resolution, the MMGs are very hard to beat for the price range. I listen to a lot of ambient/electronica, which tends to be heavy on the production side: complex, multi-layered and tonally/timbrally diverse - for this purpose, these speakers absolutely shine. The level of detail is just spectacular.

They also do very well with jazz - A well-recorded piano, acoustic bass, a woman's voice, a tightly tuned drum kit, and you're there.

Some people may say they lack the dynamic range for demanding classical recordings, but I can't really speak to that.

In my opinion, the speakers give a certain "texture" to the sound. It's hard to explain, but it's sort of velvety; it just feels good in my ears.

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Might just have to go listen to some someware. So do thay last like a rilly long time? And what about volume? All i can seam to find is a Sensitivity rateing of 86db then it also says 500Hz / 2.83v dont get what thats sopost to mean. Like how many watts can each take? guess i just cant rilly see much comeing out of them beeing that there so thin and all. Also im pritty sure i would need a sub with them for the kind of music i listen to and like whitch means im getting a bit out of my buget but i guess i could allways the the sub a little later.

Still open to all siggestions. Thanks

Florian
10-30-2005, 11:50 AM
The MMG's, MG/SE, MG12 and 1.6 do NOT use ribbons!
They use a mylar foil which is susponded on all 4 sides infront of a magnetic field. For the tweeter they use thin alu foil which is put on top of the mylar foil on the right or left side respectively. They use small runs of copper wire on the foil itself which, once the power runs through them makes ,the foil push itself away from the magnets thus playing music.

Now the deal with watts is a funny and one that had many sides. You can make the MMG's sing like there is no tomorrow with real 40 watts per channel no problem at all. I guess the Max SPL depends on where you sit and maybe is in the 90ish somewhere. Planar speakers and small linesources seem louder then cone speakers because linesources do not have as high as a db drop off per meter as point sources do.

They are a dipol which means that they send out the sound to the front and to the back. Since the back soundwave has to travel away from the direct source and later gets reflected you get a time delay of around 3ms at 1m wall distance which is the same as in a small orchestra. The membrane is very light and can therefore be better controlled which gives you less overhang and a faster rise and fall time of the membrane. Maggies can have very good bass if setup right, granted they will not thumb your chest. For that you need a bigger planar like a 3.6, 20.1 or any Fullrange Apogee.

But it depends what you want, quality or quantity!

If you have anymore questions regarding planar speakers in general dont hesitate to ask, and if you want to see one of the prime examples or real ribbon planar speakers then have a look in my gallery. Real ribbons are thin aluminium strands suspended at the top and bottom with magnets on the side. The power drives trhough the ribbons themselves and pushes itself away from the magnets which is the ultimate in reproduction but very expensive and quite rare.

Cheers

Flo

Mike Anderson
10-30-2005, 11:53 AM
They can get plenty loud, and they can take plenty of watts. In fact the more power the better, they really deserve a high-power amp; that helps fill out the bass end of things.

My amp puts out 115 watts per channel at 8 ohms -- but note the MMGs are 4 ohm speakers, so double that: about 230 watts per channel. That's just about enough juice, in my opinion.

You'll need to make sure you get an amp that can drive 4 ohm speakers. And beware power ratings for cheaper-end receivers, they probably aren't accurate.

Mike Anderson
10-30-2005, 11:57 AM
The MMG's, MG/SE, MG12 and 1.6 do NOT use ribbons!

Well alright, Magnepan calls it a "quasi-ribbon" design. I was trying not to get too awfully technical, but note that in their description of the technology they do actually use the word "ribbon":

The Quasi-Ribbon shown is basically the same driver used for the mid and low frequencies of the Magneplanar speaker with the infusion of a heavier gauge wire replacing the thin aluminum ribbon. Using a .0005" Mylar diaphram and a .001" ribbon this diapole, cabinetless design leaves the sound absolutely un coloured by box resonances.

But hey whatever.

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Im starting to think planar speakers might be fragle?

LeoFenderBender
10-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340s are excellent speakers for rock & roll IF you pair them with a decent sub. $548 a pair for no nonsense quality well in excess of the price.

Ascent Acoustics CMT-340 Mains (http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html)

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340s are excellent speakers for rock & roll IF you pair them with a decent sub. $548 a pair for no nonsense quality well in excess of the price.

Ascent Acoustics CMT-340 Mains (http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html)

I need a rx also ;)

Florian
10-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Well alright, Magnepan calls it a "quasi-ribbon" design. I was trying not to get too awfully technical, but note that in their description of the technology they do actually use the word "ribbon":

But hey whatever.
Well thats why i am here, to educate those who are willing to learn. Pure ribbon drivers are ONLY employed in the 3.6 and the 20.1 in Magnepan speakers. The Quassi ribbons are not as light and not freely suspended like pure ribbon drivers.

:p

Florian
10-30-2005, 12:44 PM
I asume you meant "fragile" and will reply to that. Planar speakers are not more fragile then any box speakers out there. Planars can be electrostatics, magnetostatics and can be from many many different companies and are very different. The word "planar" is only a disrciption of a general prinicpal which is the use of a "large" suface area driver as oposed to small cones.

-Flo

Mike Anderson
10-30-2005, 12:49 PM

I don't know that the MMGs are any more fragile than regular cone speakers. I suppose they have a larger surface area that's exposed to harm though, so if you're randomly throwing darts around your house there's a greater chance you'll damage them.

I don't know what you're planning to do to them though -- do you have unusually rambunctious kids/animals/frat brothers or something?

I would imagine the "true ribbon" speakers of the type Florian's talking about are somewhat more fragile, but those are waaaaaayyyy out of your price range anyway, so it's not worth worrying about those.

Florian
10-30-2005, 12:57 PM
I would imagine the "true ribbon" speakers of the type Florian's talking about are somewhat more fragile, but those are waaaaaayyyy out of your price range anyway, so it's not worth worrying about those.
Yes they are way more fragile, since they are one third the thikness of a human hair. BUT as with all things, if you dont abuse them like drop them or knock them over its fine.

:p

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 04:32 PM
I don't know that the MMGs are any more fragile than regular cone speakers. I suppose they have a larger surface area that's exposed to harm though, so if you're randomly throwing darts around your house there's a greater chance you'll damage them.

I don't know what you're planning to do to them though -- do you have unusually rambunctious kids/animals/frat brothers or something?

Yeah theres pets around where thay would be. Its also a kinda high trafic area also.

Sorry about the spelling :o

EDIT: Im mostly worried about the cat... eavn thow we only have one right now he loves to dig his claws into stuff. i.e the couch carpet. I can see it now $500 cat toy....

Florian
10-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Yeah theres pets around where thay would be. Its also a kinda high trafic area also.

Sorry about the spelling :o Well if they are at risk of falling over or cats having fun with them, then i am sorry but you would have to look for another speaker. :(

PS: There are many Maggie owners with cats and they found a way around it. Go here to ask... http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/bbs.html

Florian
10-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Interesting post about Maggies and POWER... (i found this on the planar asylum)

CREDIT TO Mr. Bratton

They're rated I believe @86db/watt, but I recall something about it being really more like 84db/watt...something to do with the 2.83 voltage standard as misleading. So, you need to double the wattage to get increase volume by 3 db. So that'd go like this:
84db/1 watt
87db/2 watts
90db/4 watts
93db/8 watts
96db/16 watts
99db/32 watts
102db/64 watts...it's already freaking LOUD AS ****
105db/128 watts
108db/256 watts This is already louder than you'll go
111db/512 watts. Now you're at jet plane levels, and you're one stone deaf dude. I think those 500 watts will help give it a great sense of dynamics, but continously? Naaahhhhhhh.........

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Actuly now i think about it. Is the front/back some type of fabric? Looks like it. I just assumed it was but maybe not.

EDIT: Oops.. to slow.

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 06:12 PM
So hows those Energy C-5's that RGA talked about? Any others that would be good in this situation?

Florian
10-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Well they will not be as neutral or fast as the Maggie but seem like a nice speaker.

I searched Audiogon for you and here are my favs for you ;-)

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1135223631

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1135204362

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1134584846

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1134436356

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1134261523

The one i would buy...over the Maggie too

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrplan&1135032441 (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrplan&1135032441)
http://www.apogeespeakers.com/reviews/Centaur_Minor_Stereophile.pdf

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 07:18 PM
All those look to be a bit to much :-( remember i need a receiver also..

Florian
10-30-2005, 07:22 PM
All those look to be a bit to much :-( remember i need a receiver also..
Oh, so 500 for speakers and receiver?!?

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 07:25 PM
unfortunantly yeah.

Florian
10-30-2005, 07:30 PM
Ouch! I recommend you save more money. And i mean that with all respect and honesty, buying something like a All in One box for 500 will not satisfy you in the long run.

-Flo

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Ahh well i might just get something for now and save the rest and get something after xmas as i should have plenty then.

I do need something for now thow. I was at hhgregg and seen some sony 5.1 set for like 150 or so that sounded imo vary good for beeing sony and that cheap. Or maybe i could get a good receiver now and then just some cheaper speakers till i have the money for good ones.

Florian
10-30-2005, 08:14 PM
In that case i would check this one out

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-Home-Theater-System-HT-S780-/sem/rpsm/oid/119865/catOid/-12954/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Whatever6750
10-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Yeah i was lookin at those. I can get that set HT-S780 referb for like 390 shipped.

Florian
10-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Well Onkyo builds nice solid products and the receiver is good and you can buy different speakers too later, so i would go for the 390$ deal ;)

Whatever6750
10-31-2005, 11:26 AM
Only thing with that is its kinda a wast of 200 bux to just get new speakers in 2 months.

calegrant
10-31-2005, 11:37 AM
You want to invest 500 into a HT system only to get new speakers around christmas. Lame idea, considering when x-mas rolls around you'll have 500 bucks extra which can buy a healthy sub. You'll be a lot happier with 500 more dollars than a mediocre ht set-up.

Woochifer
10-31-2005, 12:58 PM
I think you're being a tad bit unfocused with your goals and budget. You need to lay out a full map as to what you're aiming for. If you want the loud Cerwin Vega sound, then save up for Cerwin Vega speakers. Their E-series is one of the last remnants of the vintage "west coast" speaker sound which featured the loud bassy sound with blazing highs. But, even those speakers will be a bit out of your price range.

First thing to prioritize is whether or not you plan to eventually go multichannel. If you do, then that eliminates your options with two-channel amps and receivers.

Next thing is whether you plan to eventually match your speakers in a multichannel configuration with an entry level 5.1/6.1/7.1 receiver. If so, then forget about planar speakers because they need a lot more amplification than entry level receivers can provide, and their strengths are more with acoustic music than with amplified instruments.

If you decide that you want to stick with two-channel, then you can split your budget 50/50 and go with a Cambridge Audio 340A receiver, and put the remainder into speakers. Well regarded bookshelf speakers like the Paradigm Titan or the Klipsch SB-1 will give you a good amount of punch and musicality for around $250 a pair. They won't rock the foundations for parties, but they will give you good listening enjoyment.

If you want floorstanding "party" speakers that won't be too offensive for normal listening, then your $500 budget won't cover the cost of the speakers alone. Plenty of cheap speakers can go loud and belt out the notes, but they won't be particularly accurate.

If you want to go multichannel, then your considerations are more complicated. You will need to not only decide on which speakers to go with, but also whether the ancillary center and surround speakers match sufficiently. And you will need to decide if you want a receiver with preouts so that you can eventually add an outboard amplifier (those models generally start around $400).

Whatever6750
10-31-2005, 02:21 PM
I think you're being a tad bit unfocused with your goals and budget. You need to lay out a full map as to what you're aiming for. If you want the loud Cerwin Vega sound, then save up for Cerwin Vega speakers. Their E-series is one of the last remnants of the vintage "west coast" speaker sound which featured the loud bassy sound with blazing highs. But, even those speakers will be a bit out of your price range.

First thing to prioritize is whether or not you plan to eventually go multichannel. If you do, then that eliminates your options with two-channel amps and receivers.

Next thing is whether you plan to eventually match your speakers in a multichannel configuration with an entry level 5.1/6.1/7.1 receiver. If so, then forget about planar speakers because they need a lot more amplification than entry level receivers can provide, and their strengths are more with acoustic music than with amplified instruments.

If you decide that you want to stick with two-channel, then you can split your budget 50/50 and go with a Cambridge Audio 340A receiver, and put the remainder into speakers. Well regarded bookshelf speakers like the Paradigm Titan or the Klipsch SB-1 will give you a good amount of punch and musicality for around $250 a pair. They won't rock the foundations for parties, but they will give you good listening enjoyment.

If you want floorstanding "party" speakers that won't be too offensive for normal listening, then your $500 budget won't cover the cost of the speakers alone. Plenty of cheap speakers can go loud and belt out the notes, but they won't be particularly accurate.

If you want to go multichannel, then your considerations are more complicated. You will need to not only decide on which speakers to go with, but also whether the ancillary center and surround speakers match sufficiently. And you will need to decide if you want a receiver with preouts so that you can eventually add an outboard amplifier (those models generally start around $400).

I dont plan on going mutichanel just 2.1 or whatever. possobly a sub also idk. The room thease will be in is a high trafic pritty open room so i dont think rilly accrate stuff would be to practical. I dont know how well good accrate speakers would do in this kinda area.. Im just thinking becuse of how the room is i wouldent get the full affect of good accrate speakers. And what ever i get needs to be able to fill the whole room farly well.

caniac
10-31-2005, 05:42 PM
And you will need to decide if you want a receiver with preouts so that you can eventually add an outboard amplifier (those models generally start around $400).

Hey, the Pioneer VSX-815/915 have preouts for all channels, for about $250 (even less if you shop around).

As for the speakers, for now, I would recommend just going on Ebay or a pawn shop and finding a big old-fashioned set of floor standers. I know today's speakers are more refined, but there's nothing like a big ole 15' woofer for pure unadulterated fun.

Whatever6750
10-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Stupid question.. What a preout esxactly?

caniac
10-31-2005, 06:56 PM
An output (RCA jack) that sends the signal from the receiver to an outboard amplifier. So if you decide later on you need more power, you can add amps and keep the receiver for processing and switching.

Whatever6750
10-31-2005, 07:43 PM
An output (RCA jack) that sends the signal from the receiver to an outboard amplifier. So if you decide later on you need more power, you can add amps and keep the receiver for processing and switching.

Like whats used for powerd subs?

Any one here ever used/listen to MTX AAL212's?

Whatever6750
11-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Onkyo TX-SR602B For 199 5 bux shipping.. Should i get it?

Thay go for more than that on ebay!

Whatever6750
11-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Oh ya and its new not referb, And has warrenty :-)

Mike Anderson
11-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Like whats used for powerd subs?

Yes.

Any one here ever used/listen to MTX AAL212's?

No.

Should i get it?

Maybe.

Whatever6750
11-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Linky http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR602&class=Receiver&p=i

Whatever6750
11-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Yes, No, Maybe so :p

psonic
11-01-2005, 02:05 AM
hmm, I think for $500 you can do much better than Onkyo if you shop used; here are a set of Stereophile recommended floorstanders from Athena - can probably be had for $350 shipped.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1135734652

As for an amplifier, here's a remote controlled integrated from Harman Kardon (I used to own one), powerful, great soundstage, clarity, dynamics (better than any reciever I've heard)

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1135454586

There are other amps in the $200 range, but stay away from receivers if you want to realize the potential of speakers like these - and forget about watts per channal and all the nonsense claims receivers make - get a good integrated amplifier - you will quickly forget recievers.

Whatever6750
11-01-2005, 12:47 PM
I cant find any other info on those Athena AS F2.1's Just 2.2's 1.2's and stuff no 2.1s...

Whatever6750
11-01-2005, 11:25 PM
I may be able to get some MTX AAL212's for 300 shipped. Think it would be a good deal/Should i get them? Cant rilly find much on them.

Whatever6750
11-02-2005, 12:35 AM
This is the older modle http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/mtx/PRD_116751_1594crx.aspx

Looks like ppl like them, Also looks like what im looking for.

J*E*Cole
11-02-2005, 07:04 AM
Take a look at Infinity's Primus line of tower speakers, available at Circuit City and many other places including online, but I have their Alpha 50's for fronts and backs and they are awesome, and I found them on closeout at CC for $179.00 each, got lucky though.

And for the receiver, take a look at Harman/Kardon, also available at CC, starting at about $300 to $400 depending on if they have them on sale or not, which is often. Anyhoo, I have a Harman/Kardon/Infinity system and could not be happier.

GMichael
11-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Take a look at Infinity's Primus line of tower speakers, available at Circuit City and many other places including online, but I have their Alpha 50's for fronts and backs and they are awesome, and I found them on closeout at CC for $179.00 each, got lucky though.

And for the receiver, take a look at Harman/Kardon, also available at CC, starting at about $300 to $400 depending on if they have them on sale or not, which is often. Anyhoo, I have a Harman/Kardon/Infinity system and could not be happier.

The Infinity's Primus do offer a good value for the money. I enjoy mine.

Whatever6750
11-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Ive looked at the PRIMUS 360's and people say there week on the lowend and will need a sub for deap bass whitch i want but dont have the money for a sub right now so that would be a bit of a sacriface. Looks like i might be able to get them for 300ish for a pair, Whitch is the same as those mtx's i know from reading that the mtx's will have more bass and go louder w/o distorting. Also i seen in a review or two that the 360's dont handle metal/hard rock vary well... Whitch would suck becuse thats just about all i listen to.

...So many options :-(

Whatever6750
11-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Scratch that 300 figure

GMichael
11-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Ive looked at the PRIMUS 360's and people say there week on the lowend and will need a sub for deap bass whitch i want but dont have the money for a sub right now so that would be a bit of a sacriface. Looks like i might be able to get them for 300ish for a pair, Whitch is the same as those mtx's i know from reading that the mtx's will have more bass and go louder w/o distorting. Also i seen in a review or two that the 360's dont handle metal/hard rock vary well... Whitch would suck becuse thats just about all i listen to.

...So many options :-(

The Infinity's have no trouble with hard rock at all. But the base is not going to blow you away. They only have a couple of 6 1/2 inchers. I do have a fair sub so it works out for me.

Whatever6750
11-02-2005, 10:07 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Infinity-Primus-360-Tower-Speakers-pair_W0QQitemZ5825024546QQcategoryZ61376QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Think i should try and get them? What would be the max you would pay for them?
Im just a bit reluctant to go for them becuse i would most likely want a sub witch i dont have the money for and thay some people have said there not so good with handleing harder rock/metal.

psonic
11-02-2005, 10:13 AM
The Athena AS-F2.1 is version one - it is the AS-F1. The version one is probably the speaker that I would buy if I only had $300-400 for speakers, it is the stereophile recommended. Stereophile review: [/url]http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/645/

Version 2 just came out, hence now saying .1 and .2 see link below.

[url]http://www.athenaspeakers.com/model-AS-F2-2-specs.htm

Whatever6750
11-02-2005, 11:15 AM
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/athena-technologies/PRD_130221_1594crx.aspx

Seams thay Might be a bit cheaply built. And just barly out of my price range. I would have like 300 or so after a receiver for speakers and cant rilly find any for 300 and eavn if there is shipping puts it over.

I just got a conferm on the AAL212's for 300 SHIPPED thease things are like 200lb each sooo imo thats pritty good.

GMichael
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
How about these?

http://www.fluance.com/fluanhigthre.html

GMichael
11-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Here are a few more to choose from.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/categorylisting.asp?hdnCat=Loudspeakers&sel=1&CategoryID=38

Whatever6750
11-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Those Fluance's are still 300 plus shipping. Shipping is probly 60 or so.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2%2E2S&product_name=F2%2E2+Speakers+Black%2C+Single
Hmmm That have Super-Saver Free Shipping or FedEx Ground

GMichael
11-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Those Fluance's are still 300 plus shipping. Shipping is probly 60 or so.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2%2E2S&product_name=F2%2E2+Speakers+Black%2C+Single
Hmmm That have Super-Saver Free Shipping or FedEx Ground

You did notice that this price is for 1 speaker? Not a pair.

GMichael
11-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Did you see these?

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=DMWHARFD8.3M&loc=3

Whatever6750
11-02-2005, 01:18 PM
You did notice that this price is for 1 speaker? Not a pair.

Yeah just noticed that... How are those Wharfedale's?

Whatever6750
11-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Cant find much info on the Diamond 8.3's

HT BUFF
11-02-2005, 05:24 PM
These guys are in CDN$ and always have a great Energy Blem sale in Dec every year,
the blems are barely visible and only cosmetic, you save big $$$$$$.
I have bought all my speakers from them,amazing.

Whatever6750
11-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Do you know if thay ship to the us? Thay have decent shipping costs?

Whatever6750
11-02-2005, 07:20 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5825024546&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Imput fast please..... What would be a good price?

HT BUFF
11-03-2005, 09:15 AM
They would definately ship to you, take a look at the website.

Whatever6750
11-03-2005, 08:30 PM
What about some bic dv62si's and a dayton 12" sub? would only be about 250ish. I would be able to get the sub from partsexspress local also.

calegrant
11-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Athena is a great choice for cheaply priced speakers. They make two floor models, one with 2 8" woofers and one with only one. I bought the one with the single, and thanks to the incompotence at futureshop, took them back and bought the misspriced dual's for 349cnd when they were regular 799. Ah gotta love those part-time workers.

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 08:49 AM
I really think my Edirol MA-10D monitors are the best for listening to music for the price since they are not expensive and the freq response is from 45hz to 35Khz and they are very flat response only -2db. I got mine for only $133.25 pair. :cool:

Edirol MA-10D (http://www.edirol.net/products/en/MA-10D/index.html)

N. Abstentia
11-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Well I don't think he's looking for cheap computer speakers, so those 10 watt powered Edirols would be a poor choice. Those $99 Athenas will leave those things in the dust.

I really think my Edirol MA-10D monitors are the best for listening to music for the price since they are not expensive and the freq response is from 45hz to 35Khz and they are very flat response only -2db. I got mine for only $133.25 pair. :cool:

Edirol MA-10D (http://www.edirol.net/products/en/MA-10D/index.html)

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 09:27 AM
But I can say other speakers don't have digital connections like Optic-Fiber or Coaxial. Only the Edirol monitors like the MA-10D does. Plus these are active monitors for studio recording. :)

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 09:40 AM
MA-10Ds are compac bi-amplified studio reference monitors supplied with both analog and digital inputs with high resolution 24-bit/96kHz D/A converters. *Active 2 way monitor speakers with 20 Watts total power. *Coaxial and Optical S/PDIF Inputs. *RCA and 1/8" Stereo Mini Inputs. *Headphone jack *Frequency Response 45Hz - 35kHz +0/-2db

GMichael
11-04-2005, 09:42 AM
I don't think that 20 watt speakers are what the original poster is looking for.

rockecat
11-04-2005, 09:59 AM
What about some nice older speakers, i just picked up a very nice pair of
JBL L46's for $200.00

GMichael
11-04-2005, 10:04 AM
What about some nice older speakers, i just picked up a very nice pair of
JBL L46's for $200.00

hmmmm... They look nice. How do they sound to you?

N. Abstentia
11-04-2005, 10:04 AM
MA-10Ds are compac bi-amplified studio reference monitors supplied with both analog and digital inputs with high resolution 24-bit/96kHz D/A converters. *Active 2 way monitor speakers with 20 Watts total power. *Coaxial and Optical S/PDIF Inputs. *RCA and 1/8" Stereo Mini Inputs. *Headphone jack *Frequency Response 45Hz - 35kHz +0/-2db

In other words....computer speakers....or iPod speakers. My boombox puts out more than 20 watts.

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 10:07 AM
If you want more power get the MA-20D its goes up to 40 Watts but the freq response is only from 50Hz - 22kHz -2db. So its not as wide response as the MA-10D that I recommended. The MA-10D goes from 45Hz to 35kHz -2db.

Edirol MA-20D (http://www.edirol.net/products/en/MA-20D/index.html)

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 10:14 AM
To me sound is what matters the most not power since you could have a speaker that has tons of power but not as accurite and precise as the MA-10D. Remember these are studio monitors they are made to play flat and accurite as how the recording is done.

rockecat
11-04-2005, 10:18 AM
hmmmm... They look nice. How do they sound to you?

They sound pretty good, maybe a little harsh on top but when combined with my L50's
it rounded it out very nicely. I did move the 46's back and down below the 50's and that
really helped. it was a smoking deal the had just had new surrounds installed and the seller had reciepts, he did me right. Plus they match the 50's.

N. Abstentia
11-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Remember these are studio monitors they are made to play flat and accurite as how the recording is done.

Okay...so which speakers are designed to be...NOT accurate?

GMichael
11-04-2005, 10:38 AM
They sound pretty good, maybe a little harsh on top but when combined with my L50's
it rounded it out very nicely. I did move the 46's back and down below the 50's and that
really helped. it was a smoking deal the had just had new surrounds installed and the seller had reciepts, he did me right. Plus they match the 50's.

Cool, congrats..

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 10:40 AM
I am just trying to say is that all studio monitors are made to produce clear and flat response so you can hear the orginal recording precisely. :)

rockecat
11-04-2005, 10:44 AM
This it what are friend should check out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5823990630&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The L26 is a very nice speaker it has the 125a woofer very nice, mmm these will go cheap
all the old two way's do only the three ways bring any real money for some reason.
Honey can I buy some speakers :D

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Just because my Edirol MA-10D are studio monitors doesn't mean that it will produce huge amount of bass or treble since remember studio monitors are made to produce as naturaly and flattest as possible so you can hear everything in the recording. I really think studio monitors are better than home speakers for sure since home speakers attend to have lots of bass or treble.

N. Abstentia
11-04-2005, 11:18 AM
So 'regular old crappy home speakers' like B&W Nautilus, Dynaudio, Paradigm Reference, or Totem have crappy bass and treble and don't let you hear the orignial recording?

Your 10 watt computer speakers sounds better than those?

GMichael
11-04-2005, 11:22 AM
So 'regular old crappy home speakers' like B&W Nautilus, Dynaudio, Paradigm Reference, or Totem have crappy bass and treble and don't let you hear the orignial recording?

Your 10 watt computer speakers sounds better than those?

Studio monitors. Not speakers, remember? Studio monitors. They are made to sound good.

N. Abstentia
11-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah I'm throwing all my speakers in the trash and getting some 10 watt studio monitors because they sound more 'accurite'. Speakers suck, studio monitors rule!

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Well if you have the money you can buy better studio monitors like the JBL LSR6325P or the JBL LSR6328P or even the JBL LSR6332 since those are the top of the line studio monitors. They really play flat and accurite as the recording is done plus they play loud.

JBL LSR6300 Series (http://www.jblpro.com/LSR/index.htm)

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 12:37 PM
By the way my monitors are 20 Watts not 10 Watts. Anyways for the price $165 pair my monitors are the best. :)

GMichael
11-04-2005, 12:39 PM
I would get the Tannoy's over the JBL's.

N. Abstentia
11-04-2005, 12:49 PM
By the way my monitors are 20 Watts not 10 Watts. Anyways for the price $165 pair my monitors are the best. :)

Well according to their webiste, they are 10 watts...hence the '10' in the model number.

And no..they are not the best. They are nowhere near the best. These (and many many others) will destroy them:
http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASB1

Soundideas
11-04-2005, 01:02 PM
I know this is very... very... very hard to believe but SDAT SB-E639 speakers are very good music speakers! www.sdatgroup.com

N. Abstentia
11-04-2005, 01:09 PM
I would buy some SDAT's, but the white van always leaves the Arby's parking lot before I get the chance.

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 02:43 PM
My monitors are 10 Watts each that's what the site meant so total power is 20 Watts. Anyways these monitors are really great for the price I mean they are bi-amped and they play very flat and they have wide freq response from 45Hz to 35kHz and plus the speakers are capable of producing digital sound since it has digital inputs.

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Oh I forgot one more important thing about my Edirol MA-10D monitors. The RCA pin were you connect the speakers to your source are 24K gold plated too. Both right and left monitors are gold plated. One more other thing the woofer is 3in 5/8 and the tweeters are 2in.

N. Abstentia
11-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Wow. Gold plated? Man. You should melt those down and sell the gold and buy some real speakers.

I'll bet those 3" woofers rock the house, yo!!

SpankingVanillaice
11-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Well anyways to get to the point my Edirol MA-10D studio monitors are the best for the price you can ever get. :cool:

N. Abstentia
11-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Gold plated RCA jacks, 3" woofers, plastic tweeter, 10 watts of pure raw power....what more could one want out of a speaker?

Whatever6750
11-05-2005, 12:14 AM
OK lots of posts cence i last checked...

Ok I have picked up a HK3480 192.05+shipping from HK full warrenty :D

So that leaves me with about 300 or so.

For 325 i can get some AS-F2s or 300 if i drive 200 miles to get them...

And as far as thows "studio monitors" Just forget it. I would rather stick to my cheap 60$ computer speakers if i where to only get 20w total no matter how good thay sounded..

I whent to Bestbuy today and thay had some Klispch speakers set up that imo sounded good, With the sub on also thow. Thay had some smaller bookself speakers that where like 50ish each that allong with the sub sounded good imo. Ill probly go back some time this weekend and listen to them a bit better and wright down with speakers that actuly where. And if thay where like 100/pair at Bestbuy i sould be able to find them online for a bit less.

Sorry if some of that dosent make cence, my sis woke me up and i couldent get back to sleep..

SpankingVanillaice
11-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Well its actualy 3-5/8" (Magnetically-Shielded) and the tweeters are 2in (Magnetically-Shielded) too. But if you really are crazy about power and you want the monitors to be very low priced then get the MA-20D since thay have twice the power of the MA-10D so the MA-20D goes up to 40 Watts BUT they will not sound good as the MA-10D since the freq response is only from 50Hz to 22kHz on the MA-20D and the MA-10D is from 45Hz to 35kHz. See the difference??? I can say I will never buy home speakers anymore since they don't sound good as pro studio monitors do that's for sure. As I said home speakers attend to add enhancements like adding more bass or treble too much. I prefer speakers that play flat response and play 100% how the recording is done without enhancements at all.

N. Abstentia
11-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Okay okay, jeez. Give it up. I originally thought you were joking, because NOBODY is really this stupid.....but the more you talk the more I think you're actually serious and you think those 'monitors' (I know..speakers suck, monitors rule) actually sound good.

I'm leaving this alone, you're really scaring me. Please tell me you're joking....

Whatever6750
11-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah just forget the "studio monitors" I need something that can fill a 15*20ish size room loudly, Or as loudly and still sound good as i can afford. Not some studio monitors used for recording..

SpankingVanillaice
11-05-2005, 02:19 PM
No I was not jocking the whole time I am serious studio monitors are the best speakers you can get thay are 1000 times better than any home speakers for sure. If you really want good monitors then get JBL or Mackie or something like that to use in your home theater or just for music listening. But as I said before for the price of my monitors nothin can beat them. :)

Whatever6750
11-05-2005, 02:26 PM
No I was not jocking the whole time I am serious studio monitors are the best speakers you can get thay are 1000 times better than any home speakers for sure. If you really want good monitors then get JBL or Mackie or something like that to use in your home theater or just for music listening. But as I said before for the price of my monitors nothin can beat them. :)

All well i guess ill just miss out and deal with my 1000 times worse speakers.. :p

rockecat
11-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Here you go, if you want some bad boy small speakers these are some of the best ever made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5823965255&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Whatever6750
11-05-2005, 08:21 PM
How much if any diffrentce would there be between the AS-F2.1s and 2.2s? I herd there just lighter and look a bit diffrent.

dingus
11-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Yeah just forget the "studio monitors" I need something that can fill a 15*20ish size room loudly, Or as loudly and still sound good as i can afford. Not some studio monitors used for recording..
for that size room you really dont need a big speaker, you only need a good quality speaker. i am at work right now, 20'x45' room with a pair of Advent Utility speakers driven with a 55wpc Yamaha R-700 receiver. i'm a good 35' away from the speakers as i type this, the sound is quite good and fills the room nicely and this is at relatively low volume. these speakers will flat out rock when called upon. your best value is always going to be via the second hand route. depending on where you live, craigslist.org can be a boon. i picked up the Advents for $40 and the receiver for $35 from craigslist.

if you must buy new, so far the best recommendations have been the Maggies and the Athena's, you cant go wrong with either of them. another good retail buy would be these (http://www.buy.com/prod/Diamond_8_4_Minitower_Speaker_in_Black_Internally_ Wired_with_Monster/q/loc/111/90123871.html) Wharfdale 8.4's.

do your research and dont buy junk, you will regret it for years to come.

SpankingVanillaice
11-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Ok guys I quit playing games now I will get serious now. To tell you the truth I know that there are great home speakers out there that sound really realistic like the person if right there. Like those Paradigm Reference speakers I do have to admit that they do sound really good and clear. But I can say the speakers I only owned were JBL's so that's why I just say they are the best since that's the only best brand speakers I ever owned. :)

Florian
11-06-2005, 11:13 AM
And see thats what i said in the other posts, for you it starts with the jbl's. For others it starts with the Paradigm Reference. Life and learn and in time upgrade.

Whatever6750
11-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Well after reading reveiws and such im thinking those As-F2.1s would be nice then for xmas i would probly get a sub.

Do you think there worth 335 Shipped?

I could probly get some Fluance AV-F3s And a dayton 12" sub whitch would probly be better then just the F2.1s but in the long run if i get a sub to go allong with the f2.1s that would probly be better wouldent it?

I dont have the whole 325 on had but the guy with them said he will take a deposet and hold them for me. Good Deal?

dingus
11-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Well after reading reveiws and such im thinking those As-F2.1s would be nice then for xmas i would probly get a sub.

Do you think there worth 335 Shipped?

I could probly get some Fluance AV-F3s And a dayton 12" sub whitch would probly be better then just the F2.1s but in the long run if i get a sub to go allong with the f2.1s that would probly be better wouldent it?

I dont have the whole 325 on had but the guy with them said he will take a deposet and hold them for me. Good Deal?
shipped to your door thats not a bad deal, not a steal though. you dont even know if you will like them, i would find out before spending $300+.

Whatever6750
11-06-2005, 12:46 PM
shipped to your door thats not a bad deal, not a steal though. you dont even know if you will like them, i would find out before spending $300+.

Yeah only thing is i cant find any one with them set up to be listed to..

Whatever6750
11-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Dose any one know how that would compair to Klipsch F-2s?

I listend to the Klipsch F-2s at bestbuy the other day and thay sounded pritty good imo light on the bass thow. I think there was just 2 6.5" woofers thow. The Klipsch F-2s Wilth the sub thay had there sounded rilly good to me, So if thay both sound about the same once i could afford a nice sub i would be happy.

Whatever6750
11-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Bit more info on the AS-F2s, The guy says there only about 3 months old and not eavn broken in yet.

I also have a rx question, Is it ok to run two diffrent speakers on A and B at the same time?

dave123456@mail.com
11-06-2005, 04:05 PM
PSB speakers are pretty good for rock. You could probabaly get something like the Image 5t for pretty cheap of off Audiogon. Maybe even the Stratus Silvers.

dingus
11-06-2005, 10:44 PM
i have no problem recommending the Athena's but you wont know if they are your "cup of tea" until you hear them. that said, i have never, ever heard anyone say they didnt like the way the Athena's sound. i cant imagine you wouldnt be happy with the Athena's but you never know. i still like the Wharfedale 8.4's and another i speaker in this class i like is the KEF Coda 90. all 3 have their own distinctive sound, and compare quite well with one another.

I also have a rx question, Is it ok to run two diffrent speakers on A and B at the same time?
this will depend on your amplifier and the ohm rating of the speakers.

Whatever6750
11-06-2005, 10:49 PM
this will depend on your amplifier and the ohm rating of the speakers.

http://www.harmankardon.com/specifications.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&cat=REC&ser=&prod=HK%203480&sType=C

Pritty sure 8 ohm not 100% thow

dingus
11-06-2005, 11:13 PM
by the spec, it will drive a 4 Ohm load with 2 pair of speakers. when using A and B outputs, if you are driving 2 pair of 8 Ohm speakers, the load on the amp will be 4 Ohm. if both pairs of speakers are 4 Ohm the load would be 2 Ohms, for 2 pair of 16 Ohm the load would be 8 Ohms.

Whatever6750
11-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Any way to test what ohm the speakers are?

Florian
11-07-2005, 08:19 AM
What you want to know is the impedance curve over the whole frequancy spectrum and not just an average.

-Flo

GMichael
11-07-2005, 09:03 AM
What you want to know is the impedance curve over the whole frequancy spectrum and not just an average.

-Flo

Hey Flo,
Is there a way that the average Joe can test this? What do we need?

Florian
11-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Well this is a good guide right here http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/speaker_impedance.html

I will explain why this is important on my own equipment. (for the sake of not pissing someone off)

The Apogee DIVA is listed as a 4ohm speaker. This doesnt sound hard at all and any decent SS amp in the matching price class should be able to drive those. BUT those 4ohms are a "average". The DIVA drops down to 2ohm between 8khz and 12khz. So lets say your cruising along with Diana Krall and she starts one of her high pitched orgies and the load drops to 2ohms on the amp. Many good amps will not like this drop in impedance and will not be able to deliever the power needed and will start to clip. I have a few Ampzilla 2000 Monoblocks here which are rated 200 Watts at 8ohms and 400 into 4. Supposely it can drive any load but lets take a closer look. The amp is bridged and sees half the load internally. So the DIVA drops to 2ohms and the Ampzila sees a 1ohm load which then sends him clipping i can clearly hear it on the DIVA.

People often take this candy ratings like 300wpc and think its a good amp with lots of power, the trick is to get a amp that is stable across the whole spectrum. So you have to know what the lowest and highest resistance is of your speakers and match the equipment acordingly. My big Sphinx amp (new picture in the gallery) can drive a 1ohm load with no problem and drop over 40A of current. It will never clip under any load, no matter how much the curve changes.

:-)

PS: Here is a system pic with everything completed :D

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/501/medium/244261sys.jpg

GMichael
11-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks Flo,
I was lucky that my speaker's charts were printed a few months ago in a mag. But what if you don't have these numbers? How do we test our speakers to get them?

Whatever6750
11-07-2005, 02:03 PM
What about some Fluance AV-F3 And a Dayton 12" sub?

Actuly a set of AV-F3s whent for 40 on ebay plus 50 shipping whitch if i could get a simmalar deal would have 200 for a sub.. Only a Sensitivity of 88db thow dont know if that would rilly matter much thow.

Whatever6750
11-07-2005, 08:27 PM
CERWIN VEGA V-12Fs 310 Shipped/pair ??

thats also NEW.

Whatever6750
11-08-2005, 05:46 PM
I think im just going to go with some cerwin vegas for now untill i have the money for something better.

So im just wondering if any one knos of any good deals on some cerwin vegas. And whats the best series? Ive herd things about the V-zzFs haveing some problems and the E series haveing mid range problems so just wondering if any one could give me some info on problems/good things about any series. Imput apresheated Thanks

Soundideas
11-08-2005, 10:19 PM
These speakers are the REAL DEAL!....... http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1135280519

Whatever6750
11-08-2005, 10:41 PM
These speakers are the REAL DEAL!....... http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1135280519

Any other info/reviews?

bfalls
11-09-2005, 08:41 AM
One of the best sounding, inexpensive speakers I've heard are the Klipsch Kg4s. I've had mine for over 15 years and still love them. I also own many other different speakers including Legacy Focus at 10 times the price. The Kg4s are efficient, have good bass (you may not need a sub depending on taste) and you can still get excellent quality used pairs on Ebay for under $300. Mine are oiled Oak, so they also look great. I have then mated with a KV3 center and RS3 front and rear surrounds. I use two subs, ACI Saturn for deep bass and Klipsch SW8 for upper bass, but don't use either for 2-channel listening.

Soundideas
11-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Any other info/reviews? www.sdatgroup.com 1-888-998-7888 "TRUST YOUR EARS"

GMichael
11-09-2005, 09:48 AM
www.sdatgroup.com 1-888-998-7888 "TRUST YOU EARS"

Wow, these are some nice looking knock-offs.

Whatever6750
11-09-2005, 10:30 AM
www.sdatgroup.com 1-888-998-7888 "TRUST YOUR EARS"

From whats ive herd/read there crap..

N. Abstentia
11-09-2005, 10:31 AM
SDAT's are crappy white van speakers with maybe $15 worth of parts in pressboard boxes.

Soundideas
11-09-2005, 10:41 AM
SDAT's are crappy white van speakers with maybe $15 worth of parts in pressboard boxes. If anyone here just trys these out they will see that they are really good speakers and one of the best deals going! :cool:

Whatever6750
11-09-2005, 10:45 AM
as of now i kinda have some bookshelfs i can use, I use them in my room but im never rilly in my room. Only when i sleep and some tv before bed and eavn then i have to keep then pritty quiet becuse my moms room is right under mine. Imo thay sound rilly good i have to turn bass up all the way on the recevier thow, I think its a RCA its like 1/2 boombox and 1/2 regular receiver/speakers kinda weird good quality thow. Only 50w max out put but at max the speakers have no problem at all. So depending on how loud thay can handle im thinking i might just use them with a nice sub thin after xmas or whatever when i have some more money get some better speakers.

So if i do this i have 200+ for a sub. So any siggestions?

GMichael
11-09-2005, 10:56 AM
as of now i kinda have some bookshelfs i can use, I use them in my room but im never rilly in my room. Only when i sleep and some tv before bed and eavn then i have to keep then pritty quiet becuse my moms room is right under mine. Imo thay sound rilly good i have to turn bass up all the way on the recevier thow, I think its a RCA its like 1/2 boombox and 1/2 regular receiver/speakers kinda weird good quality thow. Only 50w max out put but at max the speakers have no problem at all. So depending on how loud thay can handle im thinking i might just use them with a nice sub thin after xmas or whatever when i have some more money get some better speakers.

So if i do this i have 200+ for a sub. So any siggestions?

This one is nice at $120.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-634
There are many others available on this site if you can assemble them yourself. Not really very hard to do if you can turn a screw.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=259

Whatever6750
11-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Yeah seen thay had them on sale. Ive herd sometimes you can get some stuff a bit cheaper if you walk in.

Wish thay had something better thn the dayton 12" but cheaper than one of those kits.

GMichael
11-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Yeah seen thay had them on sale. Ive herd sometimes you can get some stuff a bit cheaper if you walk in.

Wish thay had something better thn the dayton 12" but cheaper than one of those kits.

You can buy the parts and make your own kit.

Whatever6750
11-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Yeah but how much better would it be than something i could just buy for the same price?

GMichael
11-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Yeah but how much better would it be than something i could just buy for the same price?

At the same price? better.

Whatever6750
11-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Could you give me a general list of every thing i would need for about 200ish? Thanks :-)

Soundideas
11-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Tawaun A. Williams from the ecoustics forum has these same SDAT SB-E639 speakers and he said they were as good as $2000.00 speakers!....... http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/144638.html

N. Abstentia
11-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Oh, well if Tawain Williams said they were awesome I'm throwing away my whole system and going the white van route.

:rolleyes:

Whatever6750
11-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Got my HK 3480 and im just useing some old vegas that we had out in the garage and im pritty happy with the sound. So im probly just going to stick with thease for now.