Is the SonySTR- DE598 really 90X6 watts per ch full bandwidth [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is the SonySTR- DE598 really 90X6 watts per ch full bandwidth

Dmax
10-29-2005, 01:16 PM
With all channels driven and if so does this make it a better receiver than the Pioneer VSX-515 and if you only had these two receivers like me to choose from which would you pick.

evil__betty
10-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Bump up from the 515 to the 815 - more features, and only $100 more (CAN). Things like set up mic, s-video up comversion are well worth the extra dough. See the Sound and Vision review (http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?&section_id=3&article_id=848&page_number=4) on this amp I think that will help you make a good descision.

GMichael
10-31-2005, 12:21 PM
I would choose Pioneer over Sony also.

Dmax
10-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Then Pioneer it will be. Oh and i'll see if my tight budget will allow me to walk off with the 815. Thanx guys!

kexodusc
10-31-2005, 05:09 PM
With all channels driven and if so does this make it a better receiver than the Pioneer VSX-515 and if you only had these two receivers like me to choose from which would you pick.
I really doubt that 15 lb Sony will deliver 90 watts with all 6 channels driven. That's a hefty task for such a small unit.
But don't pay too much attention to the "all channels driven" spec. I've been guilty of it too, but for some reason it's really become the new fad in home theater. Truth is, you won't find many movies that require full power achieved into an 8 ohm load for 5 consecutive minutes. So why rely on a power spec that must achieve this? Sure, it's a comparison, but it's not very relevant. Many receivers that can't do their rated power output with all channels driven actually can! They can just do it for shorter periods of time. Usually a few seconds is all you'll need (if that). Music is dynamic, peaks and dips. Not constant.
I understand the FTC is currently working on a more relevant power spec that is indicative of what a consumer can expect a receiver to output in extreme home theater conditions, similar to THX's tests.

That said, for the money, the Pioneer 515 is a better unit. Unless the Sony is significantly cheaper, I don't think you'll find many people here tell you to go that route. Get the 815 if you can, even better.

caniac
10-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Go ahead and spring for the 815. If you shop around a little, you should be able to find it at roughly the same price as the 515. There was only 30 bucks difference when I got mine at CC.

ttskyline01
11-21-2005, 01:30 PM
GMichael : I would choose Pioneer over Sony also

Amen brother